Unusual Experiences in Thai Hotels.

NoshowJones

Unusual experiences in Thai hotels ........

I thought this was gonna be amusing incidents with hookers, like who cares about fridges and reading lights.

You guys live boring & tedious lives!

Turning every conversation round to sex is hardly fascinating.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as a man who likes to wear a decent shirt and who has stayed in many hotels in thailand i've never stayed in one with an iron...

Not criticising here, but in Thailand, surely you want to wear teeshirts or similar for comfort, unless you have a job that requires a certain dress code.

Some of us are fit enough not to sweat much, and like to retain a sense of style.

As a biker (a pushbike as well as a motorbike) I am reasonably fit and slim, and do not sweat much, but I do believe that the biggest majority of westerners in Thailand

wear mainly teeshirts or similar, comfort is more important than style, this is going a bit off topic now isn't it?

the fridge going off when room electricity is cut is a common occurrence in virtually all countries I have visited in South East Asia. This is not a Thai specific thing

Yes, I suppose you are right, but these hotels are going to lose lots of custom because of this.

Especially the ones in hot countries.

I am not a drinker, but surely most people would want a cold beer after maybe walking around a bit.

In my personal experience after 8 years in Thailand, 95 % of the rooms I rented had the fridge on a separate electrical outlet that stayed ON.

The ones that did cut all power in the room with the key card off were mostly older hotel.

Yes, your first sentence is very true, but the hotel I was referring to in Soi Buckaow is a very popular and modern hotel.

the fridge going off when room electricity is cut is a common occurrence in virtually all countries I have visited in South East Asia. This is not a Thai specific thing

Never happened in any hotel l've stayed at.

Yes the aircon & all the lights go off but not the fridge.

Maybe l've been lucky.

I once had an unusual experience at a hotel in Isan. The guy at the front desk offered to send a lady to my room, but the pimp showed up with two of em. Wasnt nearly as fun as it sounds though.

That is unusual, I have never ever been offered any girls by any hotel, although on occasion, I have been approached by girls already in the hotel.

I thought this was gonna be amusing incidents with hookers, like who cares about fridges and reading lights.

Fridges was only an example, any unusual experiences in hotels would be welcome.

Turning every conversation round to sex is hardly fascinating.

I wasn't even thinking about hookers when I started this topic, but I suppose

this being Thailand, hookers and hotels go together.

Also love it when they mark the cans of soda in the minibar so that even if you replace it before the maid comes, you get charged for it.

that pisses me off.

but in Thailand one is never more than 3 min from a 7/11 and I always drop a few items of my choice in the fridge. really not a big deal.

or I drink them and pay the 50 Baht.

Value varies directly with utility. Economics 101

I stayed in a hotel in khoesan Road, where a can of orange in the minibar was more than double the price of one in the 7-11 straight across the rosh

shocking.

at Chaeng Wattana on floor 4 is the Consumer Protection Bureau. they would like to know about this

I always carry an 18 watt fluorescent lamp (equivalent to 100 watts) to replace the dim bulb in the bedside lamp so I can read. The last hotel we stayed at In Krabi over Xmas had the bedside lamp by the TV. I had to pull the bed out from the wall to locate a receptacle and move a chair by the bed to get a reading lamp.

facepalm.gif

I use a kindle for all my reading, don't need any lamps now.clap2.gif

what is so special about this kindle that i keep hearing about??

it seems an expensive way of dong things at a minimum price of $120.

nowadays you can read a book off any screen be it your telephone or your tablet or your laptop or your pc.

there are many applications that can do this and and many free .epub files of just about any book available.

I stayed in a hotel in khoesan Road, where a can of orange in the minibar was more than double the price of one in the 7-11 straight across the road.

More than double? This probably means 20 Baht instead of 8 Baht. 12 Baht for refilling the minbar, cleaning it and the electricity.

Well, I recommend to sleep in 7-11 shops. This would save you a lot of money.

Service comes with a price tag, even in Thailand. And it is only fair to charge those using the service, e.g. it should not be part of the room rate.

I stayed in a hotel in khoesan Road, where a can of orange in the minibar was more than double the price of one in the 7-11 straight across the road.

More than double? This probably means 20 Baht instead of 8 Baht. 12 Baht for refilling the minbar, cleaning it and the electricity.

Service comes with a price tag, even in Thailand. And it is only fair to charge those using the service, e.g. it should not be part of the room rate.

Whoever stays in Khaosan Road has to face even impossible things. There is a saying: buy cheap and you get cheap...

I always carry an 18 watt fluorescent lamp (equivalent to 100 watts) to replace the dim bulb in the bedside lamp so I can read. The last hotel we stayed at In Krabi over Xmas had the bedside lamp by the TV. I had to pull the bed out from the wall to locate a receptacle and move a chair by the bed to get a reading lamp.

facepalm.gif

nowadays you can read a book off any screen be it your telephone or your tablet or your laptop or your pc.

there are many applications that can do this and and many free .epub files of just about any book available.

once you use a Kindle you know why...

as a man who likes to wear a decent shirt and who has stayed in many hotels in thailand i've never stayed in one with an iron...

I believe Germany bans them in hotel rooms as a safety measure. A benefit for the hotel is that then you have to use their expensive ironing service

I believe........

Believers please go to church or temple...

You get the iron in German hotels. However not in the cheap ones...

A can of Fanta is about 12 baht in 7/11. So I guess they were selling it for 25 baht?

Hotels are not a charity. do you expect them to resell it for 13 baht?

(In my hotels, Fanta sells for 50 baht a can and no-one has ever complained about the mark-up)

facepalm.gif

I'm talking about reading in bed, of course you can use your laptop or PC, but the kindle is nice and light to hold and the screen can be as bright as you want it.

"And it is only fair to charge those using the service", but more than double?? to me that is taking the pi$$.

sorry, but I don't choose such kind of hotels. I prefer a key card and running fridge

So when you go to book a hotel you specically ask if the fridge stays on?

That's true, but you will just get told what you want to hear TiT. Besides, it is common for Thais to say yes when they mean no.

"And it is only fair to charge those using the service", but more than double?? to me that is taking the pi$$.

Then walk over the road to 7-11.

good ones have this fridge separated and it is on all the time;

Now we getting the so " Hi Q " tourist which pay special prices -

so they sw off all what is possible,

in future they will sw off AC even in lobbies where are this Hi Q Chi tourists located;

Use better hotels !

I'm talking about reading in bed, of course you can use your laptop or PC, but the kindle is nice and light to hold and the screen can be as bright as you want it.

that is exactly what I said before....once you use the Kindle you know why...

Never had an issue with fridge turning off after leaving room.. Int

newest Hotels have an special edition of refrigerators,

fridge is full packed, each location have an sensor ,

you lift a bottle , it senses and you charged already !

no place to put your own stuff !!

But thgere is a warning, dont take it out if you not buy it,

you will be charged anyway !

Never had an issue with fridge turning off after leaving room.. Int

newest Hotels have an special edition of refrigerators,

fridge is full packed, each location have an sensor ,

you lift a bottle , it senses and you charged already !

no place to put your own stuff !!

But thgere is a warning, dont take it out if you not buy it,

you will be charged anyway !

In that case, just call reception and ask them to come and have someone empty the fridge.

Then walk over the road to 7-11.

I did.

If they were able to "fix" it , that probably means it was plugged into the wrong wall socket, and plugged it now in the one that still has power when the others are cut off

A can of Fanta is about 12 baht in 7/11. So I guess they were selling it for 25 baht?

(In my hotels, Fanta sells for 50 baht a can and no-one has ever complained about the mark-up)

It's 14 Bt in 7-11, and you sell it for 50 Bt?? I think that is pure greed, I certainly don't expect to pay 14 bt in a hotel

minibar, maybe about 25 bt, but then I am not a capitalist.

It's 14 Bt in 7-11, and you sell it for 50 Bt?? I think that is pure greed, I certainly don't expect to pay 14 bt in a hotel

minibar, maybe about 25 bt, but then I am not a capitalist.

But you would pay 50 Baht for the very same can in a bar or coffeeshop, What's the difference?