Am I worrying too much about malaria/dengue fever?

downtown

my 5 year old daughter is currently in Year 1 at school in the UK and the wife and I cant agree on a best time to visit the folks back home in Ubon, in a village about half way between det udom and nam yuen. wifey wants to go in july/aug because she doesnt want out daughter to miss any of her schooling, of which i am a lot more relaxed about given her age. i am concerned about going in july/aug because of the rainy season and associated malaria but even more so, dengue fever (irony is my wife contracted dengue fever as an 8 year old and was very lucky to survive). of course she can take anti malaria tablets but theres nowt for dengue fever. accommodation there is basic to say the least.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A young prominent Thai Actor recently died of DENGUE Fever in Bangkok.

He suffered for several weeks, they even amputated a foot where he had been bitten but he eventually died, despite the very BEST Medical Care available.

A family friend in Chiang Mai also contracted it but she was lucky and has survived it.

Suggest you take all possible precautions,

dengue, chikungunya and leptospirosis are real and you have a very real chance of catching these. have had each of them at least once. malaria well not such a real chance.

oh and i am still alive but the disability that comes from these is enduring . mostly muscle weakness/disability. no strength to do a minor task with the affected muscles. lasts for months at a time.

He suffered for several weeks, they even amputated a foot where he had been bitten but he eventually died, despite the very BEST Medical Care available.

A family friend in Chiang Mai also contracted it but she was lucky and has survived it.

Wasn't that story debunked as a hoax?

AFAIK, the actor Por Tridsadee is still alive, albeit in critical condition.

That being said, the threat of dengue and malaria is real, and dengue is in no way limited to rural areas. Two years ago, there were 6 dengue cases in my condo in Pattaya. I noticed that the area now gets sprayed more frequently.

I would be more worried about brewers' droop.

I live in a small village near Buriram and I know of no one that has caught Dengue in the last few years, let alone malaria. We occasionally hear of people in hospital with it but motor bike accidents are a much more serious problem.All sorts of precautions can be taken to prevent mosquito bites, anti-mosquito creams, mosquito nets, leaving a fan running, showering before going to bed, wearing long trousers and long armed shirts...

The Mrs is from halfway between Udon and Khonkaen.

I have been up here 15 times in the last 11 years and in April 2009 on my 11th visit l contracted Dengue fever.

I was out of it for about 4 days , bloody awful, never had anything since though . I noticed that the last few times I've been to the village they've had the guys with the blowers full of some kind of smokey stuff to kill the mozzies I think , When I asked the Mrs what they were doing she just said oh they are killing the malaria, maybe that's why I've not had anything since. :)

" blowers full of some kind of smokey stuff to kill the mozzies" about as effective as tits on a bull at eradicating mozzies but highly effective at contaminating your food and giving you stomach ache/diarrhea, nausea, and lung issues for a couple of weeks

mosquito nets...and morning and evening precautions, that's when the mosquitoes come out in greater number, although some can fly around even at day/night time.

Near the border areas with Myanmar and Cambodia the risk is said to be higher because the deceases are more frequent in those countries.

A friend of mine a couple of years ago visited Pattaya, did not go anywhere else during the stay, came back home and got really sick, went to hospital and diagnosed with Malaria. So they treated for that and eventually he got better. Went home and a couple of weeks later got really sick again. Went to Hospital and it turns out there was a second strain strain of malaria that had been hiding dormant in the liver, almost died before he got better. Who would think that could happen from a visit to Pattaya?

I myself have been living in the central plains of Thailand for a long time now and never contracted either Malaria or Dengue Fever, I do not know any in my work place who have ever had either of those.

Both malaria and dengue are problems here in Thailand. Malaria is more of a problem near the borders. Dengue is endemic across the entire country. And it's a big problem right now.

Best thing to do is use bug spray and stay covered up as much as possible. Mozzie net at night is prefect. I'm not allowed to post a direct link, but google "dengue fever how to protect yourself & your family". It's a great article on the Bangkok Post website and discusses the problems Por has had....is having....with dengue.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/648180-nearly-49000-infected-with-dengue-in-thailand-59-dead/

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/thai-public-health-min-warns-of-dengue-fever-during-rainy-season/107056/

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/more-than-3700-hit-by-dengue-fever-this-year/36399/

It's not all doom and gloom. Your odds of getting it are very low. It's a risk, but you're probably more at risk of a scooter accident than of contracting dengue!

I managed to catch Dengue Fever a couple of months ago. I spent six days in hospital. I felt like I had influenza from hell. Seriously, I felt like I had been hit by a truck. While I was in hospital, a government man stopped by to take down my address, which puzzled me. On the very day I was released from hospital, the blowers came around to fog the neighborhood around our house. The post by "loonytune" was spot on! When I saw them next door, I immediately closed all the doors and windows. When the guys came knocking at my door asking to be let in so they could fog my entire house, I just said, NO WAY!, and motioned for them to go away. They looked at me, shaking their heads and laughing like I was a complete idiot. Some of them weren't even wearing masks! They fogged all the property around my house, and after the wind blew it all away I stepped outside and mozzies were flying around everywhere. Mission accomplished!

Live on the seventeenth floor of a condo, the mozzies usually don't get past the seventh floor. At ground level, equip the house with insect screens and hunt down anything inside with electric racquets. Took me an hour to explain to the builder what insect screens are, most houses don't have them.

Only a small proportion of the mozzies are carriers of dengue and malaria. So preventing getting bitten/stung is the best form of defence.

I live in area south east of ban kruat on the Cambodian border, our local hospital is treating many cases of dengue fever at the moment. Every one should take care not to be bitten by mosquito's or do everything they can to reduce the chances of been bitten.

But if you do take care and are sensible its a wonderful place to be.

There are currently no alerts for Dengue or Malaria for Thailand. But last month there was. Here's the last alert I got which was in Novemeber and was lifted a few weeks ago.

Thailand

Alerts

Dengue outbreaks spike in many areas, caution advised

Created and/or Modified: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 23:29:55 GMT

In Brief
A significant increase in cases of dengue fever has been reported in Thailand. Ang Thong, Chanthaburi, Krabi, Phrae, Petchaburi, Ratchaburi, Rayong, Tak, Trat and Uthai Thani provinces have been heavily affected. The disease is spread by mosquitoes, and is present in both rural and urban areas throughout Thailand year round. Dengue can cause a range of symptoms and has no particular treatment. Some people, especially those who have been infected before, get a more severe form that can lead to fatal complications. There is no vaccine. Preventing mosquito bites is the only way to prevent dengue.

Advice

• When outdoors, wear clothing that covers most of your body (long sleeves, long pants, socks).
  • Use an effective insect repellent that contains DEET, Picaridin, PMD, or IR3535.
  • Ensure windows are covered with fly-wire. Use "knock-down" insect spray to kill mosquitoes in your room.
  • Choose air conditioned accommodation if possible.
  • Seek medical attention if you develop a high fever, especially if you suffer "rigors" (shaking) or a rash.

More Detail

With over 107,000 cases of dengue this year already, Thailand is experiencing another severe dengue season. Thailand typically reports between 50-70,000 cases annually but this year's numbers are more than double that seen for the whole of 2014 and are set to be much higher by the end of the year. Authorities have cautioned the population to take steps to remove any standing water from their property where mosquitoes could breed. The disease has killed over 105 people nationwide with case numbers predicted to climb further. Although Ang Thong, Chanthaburi, Krabi, Phrae, Petchaburi, Ratchaburi, Rayong, Tak, Trat and Uthai Than provinces have been heavily affected, dengue activity occurs year-round in both urban and rural environments across the country.

What is Dengue Fever?
This viral disease is spread by mosquitoes in tropical and sub-tropical areas. The Aedes aegypti mosquito bites during the day and is often found in and around human habitation. Unlike some other diseases spread by mosquitoes, dengue is common in urban areas.

Dengue is sometimes called "break-bone" fever due to the characteristic pain it causes in muscles, bones and joints. Other symptoms include high fever and a headache/pain behind the eyes. A rash often follows these symptoms. The acute illness can last up to 10 days. Complete recovery can take two to four weeks. There is no treatment.

Occasionally, infected people can develop a more severe form of the disease called severe dengue (previously known as dengue haemorrhagic fever or DHF). This usually occurs in patients who have previously been infected with one strain of dengue fever, then contract a different strain of the disease. Severe dengue is very serious, sometimes fatal.

I have lived in Thailand for 20 years and personally know 3 people (friends and coworkers and all in Bangkok) in that time that got Dengue. No one died but it knocks them out of work for a couple weeks and took them about a month to get back to normal. If they get it again they will get the more serious form of the disease.

To get back to the OP questions.

Yes in general you worry too much.

Before my first Isan visit in 1994 I did similar and even bought bloody expensive malaria pills.

Good that I never took them: DO NOT take any malaria precaution.

The risk of nasty side effects of that stuff is much higher than catching malaria when staying in a residential area.

I assume:

You won't do jungle excursions.

You don't swim or wade in muddy ponds or hang around there.

You will sleep in mosquito free rooms (window mesh or moskito net).

It's less risky to spray the rooms some hours before sleeping than taking any medicine.

Dengue fever is a risk especially for kids.

I don't know when high season is though.

If the slightest symptoms appear (have a clinical thermometer at hand) then rush to a private hospital in Ubon.

What you really should worry about:

What is the vaccination status of you/family?

In particular how about hepatitis A/B immunization?

Diphtheria, tetanus? Polio for the child?

Personally: annual visits since 1994, permanently in Isan since 2011.

Never catched Dengue or even Malaria.

As a guy who has had dengue fever I suggest the OP take the recommended precautions but not dwell on a potential problem. As stated it is more likely to suffer health related issues from pedestrian, car or motorbike accidents. I was stunned I got dengue after many travels in South and Central American plus Asia. I got mine in a condo in Jomtien Beach???? The hospital in 2013 claimed there were many cases in the Pattaya area but shortly after the government claimed that the dengue cases had been reduced substantially.

Some people seem handle the disease without too many problems, others can suffer terribly or even die. The viral load you receive at your time of infection seems to determine it's course. In my case it was more severe and took nearly 2 weeks to run it's course and I was healthy. I lost all hearing in one ear and 70% of the other ear and I had good hearing the first 60 years of my life. I now live in Issan and take the normal precautions but don't become obsessed with catching it again and they say it can be worse if caught more than once.

As a guy who has had dengue fever I suggest the OP take the recommended precautions but not dwell on a potential problem. As stated it is more likely to suffer health related issues from pedestrian, car or motorbike accidents. I was stunned I got dengue after many travels in South and Central American plus Asia. I got mine in a condo in Jomtien Beach???? The hospital in 2013 claimed there were many cases in the Pattaya area but shortly after the government claimed that the dengue cases had been reduced substantially.

Some people seem handle the disease without too many problems, others can suffer terribly or even die. The viral load you receive at your time of infection seems to determine it's course. In my case it was more severe and took nearly 2 weeks to run it's course and I was healthy. I lost all hearing in one ear and 70% of the other ear and I had good hearing the first 60 years of my life. I now live in Issan and take the normal precautions but don't become obsessed with catching it again and they say it can be worse if caught more than once.

Wow. How horrible. I know many here in the Pattaya area who've gotten this disease. Many.

I am not sure at all Tridsadee Sahawong is dead, where did you learn that? I was convinced he was still fighting for his life. (?)

To the OP the mortality with dengue fever is less than 0,1%.

102,000 people have come down with the disease in Thailand last year, DHF (Dengue haemorrahgic fever) killed 102 people.

My dil's husband got it last year in Samui, in Chaweng, it was tough but his life was never in danger, so the risk is exactly the same in towns than in the countryside.

You shouldn't be too worried about Malaria and Dengue Fever here.

Living here for 15 years in the lower northeast and I've never heard of a foreigner having either, or.

The possibility to meet thousands of eye candies is much higher and could destroy your eye sight. hopefully not your marriage.

See it from the psychological side. So more concerned you are about precautions, the less you'll be able to enjoy your holiday.

You should have a chat with your wife if she knows what a five year old will miss when not at school for a few weeks? Nothing, to be honest.

Then you might have a much better deal for a flight, etc...dude, take it easy and think positive. Then you don't get sick.

Cheers-thumbsup.gif

Archived