Am I worrying too much about malaria/dengue fever?

downtown

well after a compromise on my my part we're off to deepest det udom next week - has there been much reporting of dengue in ubon/surrounding areas?thanksD

As my wife is Pharmacist and running our own pharmacy there has not been even usually many dengue reports in Ubon area this year as we do get weekly ubon healthy reports from health department.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A young prominent Thai Actor recently died of DENGUE Fever in Bangkok.

He suffered for several weeks, they even amputated a foot where he had been bitten but he eventually died, despite the very BEST Medical Care available.

A family friend in Chiang Mai also contracted it but she was lucky and has survived it.

Suggest you take all possible precautions,

I kindly disagree with your example.

This is like saying to quit eating nuts because someone died of a peanut allergy.

Millions of people get Dengue and recover fine. A small percentage get Hemmoragic Dengue and have more severe symptoms but death is incredibly rare.

I have had Dengue twice--the second occurance Hemmoragic. Mine were contracted in Latin America though.

Far better than Malaria meds is to simply take precautions.

Minimal exposed skin.

Avoid being outside at dusk & dawn.

Bring some mosquito repellant from home that either contains DEET or better yet, Picaridin.

Something to be aware of. The species of mosquito that carry Dengue fever are more active during the day. The doctor who treated me said, dont worry so much about the mosquitoes at night, dengue mosquitoes can get you in the day.

Archived