Problems ahead?

Goldieinkathu

I hadn't realised that the heading of a thread was such an exact science laugh.png , I'll give it more thought next time.

So if parts are being developed further North then I presume the slice of the pie will just get smaller. Will the new Mega Mall projects near Central pull more people away from the ones in the North?

When all said and done people only have so much money to spend, will it be enough to keep all these places going?

Mind manipulation is quite exact science :)

While the services get better in the north, there is less and less reason for us to northern folks to visit southern parts of Phuket. Trip to south is just no longer worth of risking the life in the insane traffic.

For example I have to justify every trip to the south I make. I visited Patong yesterday, and combined 3 different things I wanted to do to make the trip worthwhile. Riding down there is simply no longer fun anymore.

The tourists numbers are still rising on this island. It might be so that more tourists are visiting the north, instead of the south.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one is filthy? Pizza co, sizzler, sukishi, yayoi,sp, wine connection fuji and mk all look brand new.

The rents are not that high and every business that caters to thais is doing very well. There is more to phuket than tourism.

Sorry can't name and shame. Have a good look round next time you eat in some of them, you'll see what I mean.

I see most Thai's can't even pay for their meals or shopping without using a credit card, do you really think that economic problems are not going to affect them?

Chinese too, I rarely see anyone pay cash even for small amounts.But I'm sure you'll be able to explain to me why this is.wai.gif

How bored are you? Have you never heard of points? The more you use your CreditCard the more points you get and also it gives you an highler limit in the next few months. We pay even 200b purchases with our creditcard.

I'm not bored at all. Yes I've heard of points but I very much doubt that points have anything to do with why the Thai's use cards for so many purchases, I think it's more likely that they don't have any cash.

Where do you use your credit card for 200B purchases? Normally it's only allowed for a minimum amount or if you are to use a card then they often charge you 3% - not very clever in my opinion to use when you are being charged, but then I'm probably not as smart as you.

As I"m so stupid can you please explain how the more points you get the higher your limit in the next few months works.wai.gif

This reminds me of the Patong is dead thread. But it's the Central is Dead Thread. I've lived here for 11 years, I now never go to Patong and rarely got to Central. I usually just send my wife. I hate dealing with the traffic and parking. Rawai seems to be busy, at least traffic wise. Lot's of Thai tourists and of course Chinese. But as I read yesterday, TAT is marketing now to Indonesians and Vietnamese. With the Russian, Chinese and many other economies tanking, did you expect an up click in spending? More farangs are buying their food at the outdoor markets and trying to save. Not the big spenders there were in the past...

I hadn't realised that the heading of a thread was such an exact science laugh.png , I'll give it more thought next time.

So if parts are being developed further North then I presume the slice of the pie will just get smaller. Will the new Mega Mall projects near Central pull more people away from the ones in the North?

When all said and done people only have so much money to spend, will it be enough to keep all these places going?

Mind manipulation is quite exact science smile.png

While the services get better in the north, there is less and less reason for us to northern folks to visit southern parts of Phuket. Trip to south is just no longer worth of risking the life in the insane traffic.

For example I have to justify every trip to the south I make. I visited Patong yesterday, and combined 3 different things I wanted to do to make the trip worthwhile. Riding down there is simply no longer fun anymore.

The tourists numbers are still rising on this island. It might be so that more tourists are visiting the north, instead of the south.

Makes sense. The only reason I visit Central so often is that I live close by.

Rising tourist numbers though does not necessarily mean higher spending,the Chinese seem to me to be like the Japanese used to be in the UK, they pull up in the coach, jump out, take pics then get back in the bus.The photo op is the most important thing, it goes on social media and proves that you've made it to your friends. I don't see them spending big money.

Having said that, I stood behind a Russian woman last year in Tops and she paid 44.000B for 4 trolleys of food - I was in shock! So there are some bigger spenders around, ( when I said last year I meant 2014) I forget we're now in a new year.

Central is always full. You can't base observations on a few western restaurants and regular winter sales. Thais eat thai food.

At least in the food court .......the game area is popular so are the parking, Btw, I too like the free aircondition

Rising tourist numbers though does not necessarily mean higher spending,the Chinese seem to me to be like the Japanese used to be in the UK, they pull up in the coach, jump out, take pics then get back in the bus.The photo op is the most important thing, it goes on social media and proves that you've made it to your friends. I don't see them spending big money.

Having said that, I stood behind a Russian woman last year in Tops and she paid 44.000B for 4 trolleys of food - I was in shock! So there are some bigger spenders around, ( when I said last year I meant 2014) I forget we're now in a new year.

I oppose the ideology where the high spending is somewhat good and noble thing to do. People do what brings them enjoyment for now and to the future (making memories).

Being on vacation is about enjoyment, not a charity to the local population. Folks who spend a lot and get little in return are imho stupid. It's naturally a different thing, when the folks who spend a lot really think they get value of the money back.

As money eventually equals to time, smart people spend their money wisely.

I oppose the ideology where the high spending is somewhat good and noble thing to do. People do what brings them enjoyment for now and to the future (making memories).

Being on vacation is about enjoyment, not a charity to the local population. Folks who spend a lot and get little in return are imho stupid. It's naturally a different thing, when the folks who spend a lot really think they get value of the money back.

"Folks who spend a lot and get little in return are imho stupid." - probably why the western market is now avoiding Phuket.

They were paying the highest prices in South East Asia, Singapore aside, for an inferior holiday product.

Which one is filthy? Pizza co, sizzler, sukishi, yayoi,sp, wine connection fuji and mk all look brand new.

The rents are not that high and every business that caters to thais is doing very well. There is more to phuket than tourism.

Sorry can't name and shame. Have a good look round next time you eat in some of them, you'll see what I mean.

I see most Thai's can't even pay for their meals or shopping without using a credit card, do you really think that economic problems are not going to affect them?

Chinese too, I rarely see anyone pay cash even for small amounts.But I'm sure you'll be able to explain to me why this is.wai.gif

How bored are you? Have you never heard of points? The more you use your CreditCard the more points you get and also it gives you an highler limit in the next few months. We pay even 200b purchases with our creditcard.

"The more you use your CreditCard the more points you get" - earning "points" is the price you pay for selling away your privacy.

I pay cash.

Totally agree. Being on vacation is a luxury IMO, one for which many have to start to work and pay for on their return. I have of course no idea about everyone's net worth but I do know that it is normal for the times we live in for people to live beyond their means. This can not continue and I don't see the next 20 years being like the last 20 years.

This is why I feel that the big companies and the big banks who lend to them are making a huge mistake when it comes to funding the future big shopping malls. This is not just the case in Thailand, looking at the West I just see the same problems happening here.

"As money eventually equals to time, smart people spend their money wisely." How smart is someone who spends before they've earned on things of no value or something that's forgotten long before the bill arrives on the doorstep?Never mind having to pay for something you've eaten 3 weeks ago facepalm.gif .

Central is always full every day after 11.00. Last week I fancied a Big Mac and Central was close. Drove round looking for a parking spot - impossible. Gave up and went home.

I'm not sure that parking equates to being full in the store, if you only have one or two people per car then upstairs is not full and neither are the tills.

Central is always full every day after 11.00. Last week I fancied a Big Mac and Central was close. Drove round looking for a parking spot - impossible. Gave up and went home.

With everyone needing access to a vehicle on Phuket, due to no public transport here, I don't think you can gauge the amount of shoppers / diners by the amount of vehicles in a car park here.

Lower level, right in front of the central door usualy a spot there

otherwise, homeworks has indoor/outdoor. If no place at HomeWork you can do like the genius farang i saw a few weeks back, take your 399 000b eco car and ram it into a tree on the small grass patch. Good parking spot.

I'm not sure that parking equates to being full in the store, if you only have one or two people per car then upstairs is not full and neither are the tills.

I agree. I was talking about the car park. I often wonder where all these car owners are. Much like thhe other nearby stores like BigC and Tesco. Do car owners just use for free parking while they work in Phuket Town. I ask cos I don't see the same parking problem in Jungceylon where parking is not free and there are always plenty of parking places.

I agree. I was talking about the car park. I often wonder where all these car owners are. Much like thhe other nearby stores like BigC and Tesco. Do car owners just use for free parking while they work in Phuket Town. I ask cos I don't see the same parking problem in Jungceylon where parking is not free and there are always plenty of parking places.

5-6am and tesco is already half full. People park there under the shades and take the bus/minibus

Frequent flyer points.

Frequent flyer points.

Right, how silly of me. Like buying a car because you get a free Ipod.laugh.png

I know someone who bought a car on finance for 6 years because they had no money and couldn't afford the car they already had but the new one came with a 4 year warranty and free insurance for a year so it was a must blink.png I wonder how many more there are like that out there?

Believe me hit-the-fan.gif everywhere!

The OP has got a point.

Thailand has now got an extremely high level of household debt. The figures are quite astonishing.

With foreign investment declining by 78% (information as per a link on this thread) it must be having an effect on employment, and with the tourism industry stalling, the political instability here with the country under military control and no elections to be held in the near future, and with Thailand's neighbors now seriously competing in the manufacturing and tourism sectors, Thailand is not in good shape.

There would have to be a few nervous Thai bankers here.

Not everyone shopping on the credit card is looking to earn points. Many of them would now have more debt than their income can service. The groceries go on the credit card, or the family doesn't eat.

Like the thread title says, "Problems ahead" and it will be nation wide.

Yet every thai around me(not in a tourist ghetto) is getting richer and richer has time goes by.

There is more to phuket than the west coast.

"There is more to phuket than the west coast." - and there is more to Thailand than the east coast of Phuket.

There are families getting richer and richer in Issan, but that can be short lived as well. :)

Look at Thailand's fiscal figures. They are not impressive.

Edited by NamKangMan

Yet every thai around me(not in a tourist ghetto) is getting richer and richer as time goes by.

There is more to phuket than the west coast.

There's no doubt there is a lot of money in Phuket, both Thai and foreign, although I don't always believe what I see.

I"ve talked to a few Thai's about all this and they have said they worry that the country is going in the same direction as before the Asian Crisis.

I know the BOT is not in the same position as then but how quickly can the outside problems affect Thailand?

With Phuket being the richest province in Thailand, but with the poor infrastructure and public facilities here, it just goes to show how much they are taking the p*ss here.

Probably also goes to show how much out of line the prices are on Phuket, for everything, when compared to the rest of Thailand.

The banks are repossessing many houses from Thais.

I was in land and house yesterday looking for a house and banks have signs on the houses selling it themselves.

I called and asked the price for this repo. 7.2 million baht!!!! This house was in disrepair and over grown with weeds yet it is 1.8 million more expensive than other resales in the same compound that are immaculate.

Its a sign of the times ahead. The banks are over extended and can't liquidate.