Anonymous shuts down 297 Thai court websites

webfact

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Thai govt websites are non-functional and/or non-interactional, often just glorified Facebook pages. Thailand is not an online society in terms of govt-to-population interface. The effect of this hack protest will be limited.

Whilst this is true (almost all government/police departments here use Facebook), those having had their personal details exposed will be none too pleased. As another poster pointed out, a hack showing 'unusual wealth' would have them peeing their pants biggrin.png

No, I do not support hacktivists. Any good that can come from such actions is far outweighed by negative consequences.

One example, someone has been waiting for two years for a hearing, and the hackers disrupt the docket system and the case goes back in the que.

Be careful what you wish for. Thailand has enough problems without foreigners throwing gasoline on the fire.

neus.gif

Or their data dump may contain IDs of people that could be put in danger by being identified, witnesses and officials on serious crime cases for example.

The people cheering them on to continue this antics haven't thought things through, on one hand because they could put legitimate legal cases and innocent people at risk and on the other because this games will only convince the government to become even more intent on controlling the Internet in Thailand.

All that for what? So they can pat each other on the back?

Putting innocent people at risk?

The Thai police do a fine job of doing that without being hacked!

Of course you would white knight on their behalf though. It's your M.O.

I will not click the "Like Button" I will not ever againwhistling.gif , I promise!!!! but I like your post. gigglem.gif

The post from the Thai court of justice almost seemed human.

Normally people in power here act all powerful and mighty. (Full of s****) The statement came across as slightly defeatist.

I think 'We are anonymous' has them feeling sorry for themselves and worried.

"The spokesman said from the investigation by Thailand Computer Emergency Response Team, all IP addresses of the hackers came from abroad."

what was her name?laugh.png take my wife, please. i here till Thursday.

did they finish the upgrade to Windows XP? Service Pack 2.

i think i saw these guys in the mall the other day. they had red and blue flashing LEDs on their Kaypro 2000 notebook computers.

so anybody in jail awaiting a court appearence will stay in jail now, well done dickheads

But he assured that the hacking only blocked outsiders from visiting the websites while internal systems linking the Office of the Court of Justice and internal organisations continued to operate.

so anybody in jail awaiting a court appearence will stay in jail now, well done dickheads

But he assured that the hacking only blocked outsiders from visiting the websites while internal systems linking the Office of the Court of Justice and internal organisations continued to operate.

I guess the only come back for Bernard there is that the guy from the Thai justice system is probably lying.

Which just goes to show the irony of all of this.

......could we be be pursued if we 'like' this story.....

...if true....it is quite an accomplishment that cannot be ignored.....

...the makings of a modern-day fairy tale....

as your legal advisor i suggest you set up a FB page which gloryfies all things thai and then you systematically dislike all your own posts (if that dislike button ever gets realised) cheesy.gif

file under: farangness / absurdism / surealism

(typo corrected)

Edited by stickylies

What is quite clear is the authorities don't understand the nature of what they are against, and the MO and moral positions of anonymous hackers. This is White Hat hacking, social justice activists, not black hat thieving or CC info ID theft hacking.

Firstly changing the first page of websites for the courts does in no way put dockets or time schedules in jeopardy. No one will get lost to the back of a queue. Lost in prison, because of this. This is a group embarrassment attack, making the Thai government and specifically the courts lose face. I doubt the will be impressed with these threats or fines, because the are thinking circles around the courts IT teams already.

But Annonymous has far greater weapons they COULD have used, and may still. They wouldn't be aimed at hurting little people in the court system, that would go counter to their basic goals. But there is more misery that the system could face than is presently being unleashed. As the post above notes, this is the kiddies hacking, not the serious cats. But the kiddies still smoke the IT departments best, as evidenced.

Next, no hacker worth his salt will leave a IP address directly connected with him/her.

When the ministry of silly walks tries to go to the IP, and good luck doing so,

because the FM will have to lead that charge, and if IP's in Myanmar were used,

they would be the last in a chain of dozens of investigation blocked access links girdling the globe,

And precisely because Myanmar is not particularly pleased with Thai justice at present.

Access will be SLOW, at best, and then only lead to a trail of more that Will look like a mares nest.

Will this get the Samui court to change it's decision? Certainly not.

Will this become along term face erasing, internationally seen annoyance till the appeals court reverses the decision? Yes. I have no doubts. This trial has pissed of millions with no stake or relations to these poor kids, but anger at watching them be hung out to dry.

Court systems IT techs will be having a very rough year I suspect.

Edited by animatic

this is good, but generally the Thai government doesnt use the internet, they wont even have noticed the sites are down unless they read a newspaper, very few government agencies have a working email address, I mean why should they? they are there to collect money for themselves, not to help the public in any way

No, I do not support hacktivists. Any good that can come from such actions is far outweighed by negative consequences.

One example, someone has been waiting for two years for a hearing, and the hackers disrupt the docket system and the case goes back in the que.

Be careful what you wish for. Thailand has enough problems without foreigners throwing gasoline on the fire.

neus.gif

Thing is, a number of the anonymous collective probably are Thai.

In recent reports about the govt and the internet wasn't it stated that a new cyber unit had been created and the govt was ready for anything prompting some members to post that it was a dangerous thing to say as Anonymous was likely to respond to the challenge and it seems has done so.

Incidentally there's a story circulating, not officially, that recently Anonymous successfully hacked some Bkk police stations computer systems.

I bet their computers still runs on Windows XP, no firewall, virusprogram never updated.

this is good, but generally the Thai government doesnt use the internet, they wont even have noticed the sites are down unless they read a newspaper, very few government agencies have a working email address, I mean why should they? they are there to collect money for themselves, not to help the public in any way

Exactly smile.png

Just waiting for a statement from a spokesman:

"We are not afraid of Anonymous and they cannot do anything against us: we only use THE computer for you-tube viewing.

All the important information is secured in brown envelopes and protected with the latest technology: Quintaplicate copies and carbon paper"

Edited by CantSpell

The authorities are bluffing (a polite way of putting it) in what they say they know. They know the IP addresses my #@$. All they know are anonymous proxies the hackers used which doesn't tell them squat.

"...He said the Court of Justice would consider legal action against the hackers..."

cheesy.gif There is no way they could ever find out who they are and if by chance they lucked out they couldn't prove it. What a complete waste of breath.

The authorities are bluffing (a polite way of putting it) in what they say they know. They know the IP addresses my #@$. All they know are anonymous proxies the hackers used which doesn't tell them squat.

"...He said the Court of Justice would consider legal action against the hackers..."

cheesy.gif There is no way they could ever find out who they are and if by chance they lucked out they couldn't prove it. What a complete waste of breath.

I agree, but their statements (to them at least) make them sound important and knowledgeable. And they think it "saves face". Yeah, right.