Does anyone know a Notary Service in Bangkok ?

RichardThailand

Richard

I have to admit I am puzzled by your question. I can not imagine a case where you would need such a document in Thailand. Maybe more information would get you the answer you need.

My experiences would say the sale of a Thai property is proven by the change in ownership documents from the land office.

As for the sale of a property overseas, Lopburi3's link points out that the U.S. Embassy/Consulate simply offers validation of your signature or certification of true copy. They do not certify the contents of a document are true or valid.

But that is what is required for US real estate sale. If you are not there to sign in person your signature needs to be notarized and when in Thailand that means by US Consular Officer.

Lopburi -- Thanks, that is what I missed from Richard's post. I thought he was talking about a document saying a sale had already been completed. I am now a little bit wiser.... I hope.

No such thing in Thailand. If for a home country requirement, get your embassy/consulate to do it; if for Thai use, ask your counterparty what would be acceptable.

"No such thing in Thailand."

Nonsense.

Interactive Associates in Pacific Place (Nana BTS) provide a notary service, there's a company on the ground floor of The Trendy, Soi 13, that will do it, there is a lawyers satellite office on Nana BTS station near the Soi 7 exit who can notarise documents, Tilleke and Gibbins will do it. There are many places.

No such thing in Thailand. If for a home country requirement, get your embassy/consulate to do it; if for Thai use, ask your counterparty what would be acceptable.

Excuse me??!!

Maybe try to resist the urge to answer so definitively if you actually don't know what you're talking about.

Suwat Law, 9th Floor, Glashaus Building, Sukhumvit 25

1,000 -1,500 baht each document

A document notarized in Thailand by anyone other than a Consular Official US Embassy - Bangkok or Chiang Mai Consulate could be readily disallowed in a US court should any party challenge a transaction in your favor.

Edited by JLCrab

Excuse me??!!

Maybe try to resist the urge to answer so definitively if you actually don't know what you're talking about.

For the thousandth time...there is no concept of a "notary public" in Thailand as there is in most Western legal/commercial systems. In the West, a notary public is a quasi-judicial officer, who can take an oath and certify documents and signatures. They are usually governed by the civil law code in the jurisdiction where they operate, and must also be members of professional societies and keep an official record of their acts. The Thai Civil Code makes no provision for nor contemplates any person performing these acts. Therefore, there are no notary publics in Thailand as we think of them in the West. I

Now, Thai lawyers, who are members of the Law Society of Thailand, may obtain a certification from that Society, which allows them to witness or attest to the authenticity of documents and signatures on them (and put their pretty little stamps on them) but only in their private capacity as a lawyer. Such a "notarization" would not be of any legal significance in Thailand, for as I said, there is no provision for it under Thai law. They would also be virtually useless outside of Thailand if anyone wanted to challenge them for some reason. In addition, Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, which makes these "notarizations" even more suspect.

In Thailand, if a document or signature needs to be witnessed/authenticated, the witness (anybody who is handy...but usually an adult) will sign and date the document and usually affix a copy of their ID card to it. If the authenticity of the document or signature is ever questioned, the witness will be located and produced to testify about it. There is no need to have a specialized person perform this function. So these lawyers are basically doing what any Thai person could do and charging you a fancy price for it. As to paying these "notaries" you mention 1000-1500 baht for a more or less useless service that anyone could perform...well as P.T. Barnum once said...there's one born every minute tongue.png (Also, the cost should be no more than a few hundred baht a document.)

Now, if an expat needs to have a signature on a document notarized for use in a commercial transaction or court proceeding in their home country, there are embassy legal or consular officers who are empowered to perform this function. The legal validity of these acts is the same as if they were performed in the home country and these documents may then be returned to a court, government agency, or other third-party without the necessity for the expatriate having to return to their home jurisdiction.

If the parties are in a mutually beneficial commercial or real estate transaction and they just need an "official looking notarized" document to close the transaction, then yes, you may sometimes be able to use one of these Thai lawyer notaries and their stamp as there is no one who would have an interest in challenging its validity. However, if the proceeding is adversarial, any lawyer who passed his first year exams could easily have any such "notarized" documents thrown out of court and if the documents have to be filed or recorded by a public official, they may refuse to accept them.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Thanks, OMG, for your much-expanded version of my initial reply. I think that for the most part, these tourists can't read Thai, stumble around the tourist areas, and see signs in English (and, naturally, only in English), advertising "notaries", or some variation of that. It never crosses their mind to wonder why these places all have foreign names. As for many other things; an English-only sign should be taken as a signal to exercise extreme caution that you are probably going to be greatly overcharged.

Richard

I have to admit I am puzzled by your question. I can not imagine a case where you would need such a document in Thailand. Maybe more information would get you the answer you need.

My experiences would say the sale of a Thai property is proven by the change in ownership documents from the land office.

As for the sale of a property overseas, Lopburi3's link points out that the U.S. Embassy/Consulate simply offers validation of your signature or certification of true copy. They do not certify the contents of a document are true or valid.

Hi, Sale of a property overseas. Thanks

Used to be the case, but the Thai bar association equivalent (The Lawyers council Of Thailand) has updated their rules and now has guidlines and approvals for lawyers that conduct notarial sevice since 2003

Any lawyers worth his salt should be able to perform the notarial task for you

Excuse me??!!

For the thousandth time...there is no concept of a "notary public" in Thailand as there is in most Western legal/commercial systems. In the West, a notary public is a quasi-judicial officer, who can take an oath and certify documents and signatures. They are usually governed by the civil law code in the jurisdiction where they operate, and must also be members of professional societies and keep an official record of their acts. The Thai Civil Code makes no provision for nor contemplates any person performing these acts. Therefore, there are no notary publics in Thailand as we think of them in the West. I

Now, Thai lawyers, who are members of the Law Society of Thailand, may obtain a certification from that Society, which allows them to witness or attest to the authenticity of documents and signatures on them (and put their pretty little stamps on them) but only in their private capacity as a lawyer. Such a "notarization" would not be of any legal significance in Thailand, for as I said, there is no provision for it under Thai law. They would also be virtually useless outside of Thailand if anyone wanted to challenge them for some reason. In addition, Thailand is not a signatory to the Hague Convention on Legalization of Foreign Public Documents, which makes these "notarizations" even more suspect.

In Thailand, if a document or signature needs to be witnessed/authenticated, the witness (anybody who is handy...but usually an adult) will sign and date the document and usually affix a copy of their ID card to it. If the authenticity of the document or signature is ever questioned, the witness will be located and produced to testify about it. There is no need to have a specialized person perform this function. So these lawyers are basically doing what any Thai person could do and charging you a fancy price for it. As to paying these "notaries" you mention 1000-1500 baht for a more or less useless service that anyone could perform...well as P.T. Barnum once said...there's one born every minute tongue.png (Also, the cost should be no more than a few hundred baht a document.)

Now, if an expat needs to have a signature on a document notarized for use in a commercial transaction or court proceeding in their home country, there are embassy legal or consular officers who are empowered to perform this function. The legal validity of these acts is the same as if they were performed in the home country and these documents may then be returned to a court, government agency, or other third-party without the necessity for the expatriate having to return to their home jurisdiction.

If the parties are in a mutually beneficial commercial or real estate transaction and they just need an "official looking notarized" document to close the transaction, then yes, you may sometimes be able to use one of these Thai lawyer notaries and their stamp as there is no one who would have an interest in challenging its validity. However, if the proceeding is adversarial, any lawyer who passed his first year exams could easily have any such "notarized" documents thrown out of court and if the documents have to be filed or recorded by a public official, they may refuse to accept them.

Confirming that this view is correct that there is no legal framework for notarization in Thailand (and the notarized document is useless for any use in Thailand anyway)

also that although notary public lawyers are approved by their bar association equivalent in Thailand, looking at the training and approval process, it's only a 1-day course/seminar in a hotel or resort somewhere... probably a nice little earner for them (both the association and the lawyer)

For what it's worth, I know a lawyer who does the notarization for free in Bangkok

For house sale /mortgage 'back home' I had a friend that need a signature from his Thai wife on the Bank's form notarized, upon lengthy conversation with his bank back in the US and his lawyers, the US bank ended up accepting that the signature be witnessed by the Thai wife's local bank teller....

Some information for those needing notarising services for UK institutions. Whilst you are correct stating that there are no Notaries Public in Thailand, that is a title that is given to certain members of the legal profession in UK and some other countries. I cannot speak about specific US requirements but generally as far as verification of, for example, the authenticity of signatures, certification of certain classes of documents or certification of identity of parties to an agreement is concerned a registered (and therefore, qualified) Notarial Services Attorney in Thailand may perform those services and have the backing of the Lawyers Council of Thailand. It is more than "obtaining a certificate and pretty little official-looking stamps" as you so patronisingly allude. Documents authenticated by a Notarial Services Attorney here are acceptable in the UK as I have had confirmed personally by different institutions on a number of occasions.

For you to state that the authentication by registered Thai lawyers would be "virtually useless" is clearly just your subjective opinion unless you can refer to any specific cases that prove what you say. As far as UK is concerned I doubt that that situation has arisen, if it had there is no way that very substantial, well-informed UK financial institutions would accept documents verified here.

The Embassy is always an alternative, of course, if the inconvenience and extra cost is of no concern.

Used to be the case, but the Thai bar association equivalent (The Lawyers council Of Thailand) has updated their rules and now has guidlines and approvals for lawyers that conduct notarial sevice since 2003

Any lawyers worth his salt should be able to perform the notarial task for you

But as I've pointed out...these services don't mean anything and have no real legal effect either inside Thailand or outside. This is just the lawyers getting together and saying to themselves these silly foreigners keep coming to us and asking us to "notarize" some document or other, so let's get together among ourselves and make some "standards" for doing this and then we can charge these foreigners silly prices for our signatures and a 10 baht rubber stamp. I mean, the hotel maids of Bangkok could get together and make the same rules and call themselves "notaries." Just because they're lawyers doesn't mean anything because this service is not codified in law as having any legal meaning in the Thai Civil Code.

In any dealings with Thai officialdom, have you ever been asked to have a document "notarized"? Not me...it's just sign and date (originals and'or copies) and provide a copy of your identifying document (usually a passport for foreigners). This goes for when I apply for my extensions for retirement purposes, when I setup a company to buy a house, when I file and pay my annual corporate taxes for the the house, and when I got my Thai drivers license. NO ONE OR AGENCY EVER ASKED THAT ANY DOCUMENT BE NOTARIZED...BECAUSE SUCH A THING DOESN'T EXIST IN THAILAND.

If any document needs to be authenticated, certified, etc., it's done at the foreigners embassy or in some cases, like marriage certificates and stuff, by certified translators and/or sometimes certified by various GOVERNMENT ministries like Foreign Affairs or the Labour Department.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Notary Service

in Thailand

In most countries, a Notary Public is known as an official who is licensed by the State to perform functions such as the authentication of signatures or documents, and the witnessing of affidavits or statements of persons under oath. Notarization of a document is important as the act of notarization itself creates a guarantee on the authenticity of the document, or to the act of the signatories to the instrument.

While there are no notaries public in Thailand, some lawyers are given the authority to function as Notarial Services Attorney in the country. In Thailand, it is the Lawyers Council of Thailand which regulates the practice of notarial services in the State. A Thai lawyer is required to undergo and pass a professional training course for the service before he is registered as a Notarial Services Attorney.

Richard

And that is exactly what a Notary Public does.

The Notary witnesses you signing the document, and attests to that signature with their signature and Notary seal.

The Notary does not certify the contents of a legal document.

Notary Service

in Thailand

In most countries, a Notary Public is known as an official who is licensed by the State to perform functions such as the authentication of signatures or documents, and the witnessing of affidavits or statements of persons under oath. Notarization of a document is important as the act of notarization itself creates a guarantee on the authenticity of the document, or to the act of the signatories to the instrument.

While there are no notaries public in Thailand, some lawyers are given the authority to function as Notarial Services Attorney in the country. In Thailand, it is the Lawyers Council of Thailand which regulates the practice of notarial services in the State. A Thai lawyer is required to undergo and pass a professional training course for the service before he is registered as a Notarial Services Attorney.

Do you understand the basics of the law...these Thai lawyers gave this power to themselves...it was not granted to them by the government. Therefore it's basically meaningless. In Western legal systems, the power of a notary is granted by the State and the powers, scope, and duties of a notary are codified in said State's Civil Law Code.

The only case in Thai law/bureaucracy that use similar mechanism of confirming identity is in case of renewing lost ID card without other documents like house book or other government ID or correcting mistake with the ID system like misreporting death/birth or identity theft is that the person proving their identity need to bring a notable government official, usually village head, tambon or amphur chief officer to confirm the identity

Notary Service

in Thailand

Do you understand the basics of the law...these Thai lawyers gave this power to themselves...it was not granted to them by the government. Therefore it's basically meaningless. In Western legal systems, the power of a notary is granted by the State and the powers, scope, and duties of a notary are codified in said State's Civil Law Code.

Do you understand the correct title of the council and what it stands for?

Notary Service

in Thailand

Do you understand the correct title of the council and what it stands for?

Doesn't mean anything...if they gave themselves the power to perform brain surgery, would you let them operate on you? But if you wish, feel free to pay silly money for a worthless service. I'm just giving information for those who need real notary services.

As I said, on any government form or private contract in Thailand, have you EVER seen place where a notary signature or stamp was required? Of course not, because they don't exist in Thailand. You see them all the time on forms and contracts in the West because they arena real thing there and mean something.

OK, I'm done with this topic.

OMGImInPattaya , you are right ; clap2.gif

This profession, occupation doesn't exist in Thailand ;and all you were writting before is right;

When I needed a few years ago the certification of my signature I must go to my Embassy where there is a woman who has the ability of notaries in my country ( France ) ;

Here in Thailand we have Lawers ; some of them have a perfect english or french ( yes ! ) or german or dutch ...or many other languages.

@ RichardThailand Do a research on our friend Gogole and you will have the answers .

And these people - lawers - will give you how to do for what you are looking for.

But as I've pointed out...these services don't mean anything and have no real legal effect either inside Thailand or outside. This is just the lawyers getting together and saying to themselves these silly foreigners keep coming to us and asking us to "notarize" some document or other, so let's get together among ourselves and make some "standards" for doing this and then we can charge these foreigners silly prices for our signatures and a 10 baht rubber stamp. I mean, the hotel maids of Bangkok could get together and make the same rules and call themselves "notaries." Just because they're lawyers doesn't mean anything because this service is not codified in law as having any legal meaning in the Thai Civil Code.

In any dealings with Thai officialdom, have you ever been asked to have a document "notarized"? Not me...it's just sign and date (originals and'or copies) and provide a copy of your identifying document (usually a passport for foreigners). This goes for when I apply for my extensions for retirement purposes, when I setup a company to buy a house, when I file and pay my annual corporate taxes for the the house, and when I got my Thai drivers license. NO ONE OR AGENCY EVER ASKED THAT ANY DOCUMENT BE NOTARIZED...BECAUSE SUCH A THING DOESN'T EXIST IN THAILAND.

If any document needs to be authenticated, certified, etc., it's done at the foreigners embassy or in some cases, like marriage certificates and stuff, by certified translators and/or sometimes certified by various GOVERNMENT ministries like Foreign Affairs or the Labour Department.

"But as I've pointed out...these services don't mean anything and have no real legal effect either inside Thailand or outside."

But what you've pointed out is not totally correct. Documents notatised by registered Notarial Services Attornies (NSAs) are accepted outside Thailand, UK certainly, by institutions needing notarised documents, so the effect is that those documents are legitimised and, therefore, do have legal weight.

"In any dealings with Thai officialdom, have you ever been asked to have a document "notarized"?"

Of course you haven't, neither have I, and when I was home in the UK I was never asked for notarised documents there either. Those asking for information about registered NSAs here don't want docs certified for Thai authorities, they usually want it for use in their home country.

If a legal transaction is being conducted in any country notarisation will never be needed if you have the original documents to present. That's one of the points of notarisation, it confirms a copied document as a proper copy of the original so the original doesn't have to leave your safekeeping.

The bottom line is that if anyone is unsure they should simply ask the institution that they are dealing with outside Thailand whether a copy document notarised by a Thai lawyer (NSA) is acceptable or not, that is what is important.

Notary Service

in Thailand

As long as the power of NSAs is recognised and accepted by those requiring notarised docs it is not meaningless at all.

For what it's worth, I know a lawyer who does the notarization for free in Bangkok

For house sale /mortgage 'back home' I had a friend that need a signature from his Thai wife on the Bank's form notarized, upon lengthy conversation with his bank back in the US and his lawyers, the US bank ended up accepting that the signature be witnessed by the Thai wife's local bank teller....

"For what it's worth, I know a lawyer who does the notarization for free in Bangkok."

That's worth absolutely nothing unless you let us know some details of that lawyer! Do you have any contact details?

Your last paragraph confirms what I said, if there is any doubt about what is required just ask, you may be pleasantly surprised.

OMGImInPattaya , you are right

This profession, occupation doesn't exist in Thailand ;and all you were writting before is righ

Unfortunately he wasn't 100% correct and some of his statements were not right in some countries but I think that the information that anyone needs is there now...if in doubt ask!