Does anyone know a Notary Service in Bangkok ?

RichardThailand

There's plenty in Plon Chit just outside the BTS station, near the big language school. I used one myself last week, cost about 500 per page.

I'm guessing the station has a few exits. Can you be a bit more specific to help me if I go there. Thank you

No idea about the number, but its the south exits. You'll see a huge language school there, cant miss it.

To the west of the school you'll see a big alley full of translation shops.

The one I used took 7 days to translate 13 documents, I imagine it would be faster for a smaller job.

For what it's worth, I know a lawyer who does the notarization for free in Bangkok

For house sale /mortgage 'back home' I had a friend that need a signature from his Thai wife on the Bank's form notarized, upon lengthy conversation with his bank back in the US and his lawyers, the US bank ended up accepting that the signature be witnessed by the Thai wife's local bank teller....

"For what it's worth, I know a lawyer who does the notarization for free in Bangkok."

That's worth absolutely nothing unless you let us know some details of that lawyer! Do you have any contact details?

Your last paragraph confirms what I said, if there is any doubt about what is required just ask, you may be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.tanaiwirat.com/index.php?mo=24

For what it's worth, I know a lawyer who does the notarization for free in Bangkok

For house sale /mortgage 'back home' I had a friend that need a signature from his Thai wife on the Bank's form notarized, upon lengthy conversation with his bank back in the US and his lawyers, the US bank ended up accepting that the signature be witnessed by the Thai wife's local bank teller....

"For what it's worth, I know a lawyer who does the notarization for free in Bangkok."

That's worth absolutely nothing unless you let us know some details of that lawyer! Do you have any contact details?

Your last paragraph confirms what I said, if there is any doubt about what is required just ask, you may be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.tanaiwirat.com/index.php?mo=24

For anyone else who is interested I spoke to that lawyer today, the cost for notarizing is 1000 baht per page, not free unfortunately. He will visit you to do it though but that is another 2000 baht in Bangkok.

• 4 months later...

Thailand has a legal gap here. There is no domestic law on notarisation or to establish notaries public but, as others have noted the Law Society has stepped in to set its own internal system to register lawyers who want to do notary work.

Another serious problem for some is that Thailand signed the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Documents in 2002 but has never ratified it. That means there is no government system for making apostilles of official documents like passports and birth certificates that are sometimes required overseas, particularly in European countries.

Don't ask the reasons for this. Just official lethargy I suppose. There are number of international treaties signed but not ratified by Thailand, e.g. the Treaty of Rome re the International Court of Justice. Domestically it is not a problem as officials seem happy to let people certify their own documents as true and correct copies. So I suppose that saves the average person, who is never going to do anything overseas, a lot of trouble. But not wanting to help business integrate into the international community is another thing.

I called a law firm a couple of years ago that advertised extensively on the internet under the name of something like Bangkok Notary, although that is not its real name, and showed attractive rates for notarisations and offices conveniently located in Silom. When I called a rather aggressive sounding Thai man answered the phone and quoted much higher rates than advertised and said they had closed their Silom office and now operated out of one of the adjoining provinces at an address that sounded like a private residence. He said they would travel to meet customers in Bangkok. The advertising reminded me of the bait and switch technique operated by camera shops along the Kowloon Golden Mile in Hong Kong. Hopefully the service was better than that. Most people would prefer going to an office in town and getting the service advertised at the rates advertised but, if you can charge 1,500 - 2,000 baht a page for a stamp and a signature of someone who may not even be a real lawyer, why not?

Archived