Passports... Again

hey everyone..

sorry to bring this topic up again.. i have already found the post regarding having to carry your passport at all times.. is there a official website where i can print this information out? i am currently working in a school here in thailand and the school would not release my passport without my bosses permission, my boss is on holiday, thus i had to travel passportless and missed my flight to bangkok.. really annoyed with them and want some official looking stuff to throw at them..

thanks for any input on this

phiphi

The passport is the property of your countrys government, they are not allowed to hold it.

George , Sniperteam6 ,

We all know that the statements that you make are quite correct , but just don't work in the real world .

Firstly , I have worked in Malaysia , Papua New Guinea , Yemen , Russia , and for a limited time in Indonesia . The company that you work for will ask to hold your passport , be it for applying for work permits , residency visas , business visas , etc. Maybe not quite as necessary in the teaching industry , but no doubt they will have some lame excuse to hold it . Even though we know it reduces the risk of a sudden departure by the employee .

To refuse to hand over your passport , you are risking your employment . A thing that many of us cannot afford to do .

phiphilastick ,

I did a search for the information that you required , but come up empty handed . Probably isn't a written law to carry it , though it is the first thing that the BIB will ask to see . I learned in Russia to only carry a copy of the passport with you , as when police there asked you to produce it , they would keep it and try to see how much money they could extort from you for it's return .

Cheers ,

Jim .

hey thanks everyone for your input.. it is true that my school has just been sorting out my visa/ work permit etc.. the day i asked for it was the day i got my visa and permit.. don't worry i will be getting my passport the day i arrive back at school and will hold it myself in future.. employers here like to hold your passport so you can't disappear into the night.. so much for a relationship based on trust!!

again thanks for your time and advice.

phiphi :o