Obtaining a new South African passport from the embassy in Bangkok

To all members and sleuths out there that might have a solution or advice, please.
I am a South African citizen.
I am in dire need of some information and help regarding my passport and visa.
I went to the South African embassy in Bangkok 3 weeks ago wanting to apply for a new passport as my current passport will expire at the end of May 2016.
At the time I thought this gave me ample time to apply for a new passport. An embassy representative then told me it would take 6 months for my new passport to arrive, which leaves me in limbo, and needless to say that I was shocked at the waiting period.
The last time I got a new passport from the SA embassy it took only 3 months. Considering that UK citizens only wait 1 month and Japanese citizens only wait 2 weeks for a new passport you can see how ridiculous this waiting period for a new South African passport is. And no temporary passports are issued by the SA embassy any longer. That service was terminated in September 2015.
My retirement visa will expire at the end of this month, January, so I will have the visa renewed at the end of this month. Unfortunately the visa will expire with the passport at the end of May 2016.
I asked immigration if I can show a copy of my application for a new passport and then continue using the old passport until the new one arrives. They said I could but that I would go on overstay because of the visa expiring.

Unfortunately immigration wasn't very helpful and even brash to get rid of me.
In the 11 years that I have lived here, I have never had an overstay. I don't know if I have to pay overstay and then get prosecuted for not complying with the law.
The only other alternative is for me to go back to South Africa and obtain a new passport there at great expense.

Advice or solutions will be appreciated.
Thank you kindly
André
Edited by Tywais
Changed to standard font, corrected paragraphs

Not sure where this should live, probably not in General, for now I'll move it to Visas.

Anyway, you'll get zero help from Immigration and with the new overstay rules you'll possibly end up with a ban from entering Thailand if your new passport is delayed for any reason.

Unfortunately I see the only solution being the head home and get your passport there sad.png

• Like 1

It appears you only choice is to go back to South Africa to get a new passport. I is always advisable to get a new passport prior to having less than 6 months remaining on it.

Not sure what you have now.

If you are calling an extension of stay based upon retirement that you are calling a visa I suggest you apply for the extension and get a re-entry permit that would be valid util it ends in May.

You would then show both passports on entry to the country to use the re-entry permit in your old passport. The go to immigration to have the stamps transferred to the new passport and apply for a new extension it that is what your have now.

• Like 1

Remember that your freedom of travel are very limited.Your document is valid for less that

6 months.Most countries require 6 months.Noble exceptions? Japan(0 months,valid passport),

as you may know - Thailand.HongKong(3 months),some countries in Europe (3 months).

Better shop for cheap ticket,may be from another country?

It looks like deadlock,you have to act fast.Apply for new passport in quicker embassy?

Call them and ask,it worked for me!

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi Andre,

I am in a similar situation and have also lived here for more than 10 years, so packing up and jetting off to SA to wait for the new passport would be ridiculous. My work permit is valid until June, but my passport expires in February and thus my permission to stay also expires same day as my passport. I applied for my new passport in November, so the new one definitely will not arrive before the existing passport expires. Quite unacceptable.

The South African Embassy can do two things for you: First, they have a standard letter which confirms you have applied for your new passport and which can be shown to Immigration to at least prove the validity of your situation. Second, they can issue you with an emergency travel document which is supposed to have the same validity as a passport, which is valid for 3 months and costs B 300; but it does require you to have a valid air-ticket as proof of your departure within those 3 months. With this emergency travel document, you at least won't be on overstay and when the new passport arrives, you should be able to do the transfers from your old passport without too many questions.

I will be collecting my letter on Monday and applying for the emergency travel document at the same time and then our HR department will help me negotiate the next step with Immigration.

You can PM me with your contact information and I'll keep you updated.

Best,

Richard

• Like 1

Actually a friend of mine just said that she waited 5 days for her new passport in South Africa.

That's a really short waiting period. You go to apply at the Home affairs office and you have an option

to make it as an urgent matter. They will give you the new passport within a week.

Good luck with that. Rather do that than risk getting banned.

Go home for a week, I think you have not been home in 11 years mate :)

• Like 1

Thank you kindly to all for all the answers and input.
It appears I'll have to head home just to play it safe.
I will once again check what my options are as traveling back to SA is going to be an expensive venture.