My African Grey Broke The Tip Off His Beak Yesterday

My grey hit the tile - I heard a crack. I was sure he hit his breastbone but 2 to 3 cm of his beak broke off.

It bled and he fought me from trying to hold any pressure on it.

Today I see he isn't eating, so I handed him a pellet but he put it in the side of his beak and then dropped it.

I wet his food so it is soft.

How long will it take to heal before it doesn't hurt him to grab with the raw end of his beak. Can I do anything? Maybe some crazy glue on the tip - to cushion it?

Suggestions please.

PP

My grey hit the tile - I heard a crack. I was sure he hit his breastbone but 2 to 3 cm of his beak broke off.

It bled and he fought me from trying to hold any pressure on it.

Today I see he isn't eating, so I handed him a pellet but he put it in the side of his beak and then dropped it.

I wet his food so it is soft.

How long will it take to heal before it doesn't hurt him to grab with the raw end of his beak. Can I do anything? Maybe some crazy glue on the tip - to cushion it?

Suggestions please.

PP

You dont listen to suggestions!! Take it to a vet!! :o Nignoy

"Make sure that this bird receives an abundance of high-water-content foods – fruits and veggies. This will help prevent dehydration. In these situations, where the beak is chipped by a fall, I recommend finely chopped fresh foods. I would use a food processor and make a mash. My mash diet recipe can be found at http://www.parrothouse.com/mash.html The beak will grow back with time. I would suggest that this Grey be fed a small amount of mashed hard-boiled egg every other day to help along the proper growth of its beak."

Source: Africangreys.com

However since you mentioned bleeding, a vet is still a good idea in case anti-biotics may be needed to ward off infections.

You dont listen to suggestions!! Take it to a vet!! :o Nignoy

Mr. Nig.

Bite me.

Frankly I'm tired of hearing how good you are and how well your Greys were. You're one of these prissy know it alls who probably lived in an ivory tower your whole life. I can just imagine with your personality, that you probably had all the little girls who worked for you cowering.

So bite me.

My Grey and I don't need you nor your advice.

PP

"Make sure that this bird receives an abundance of high-water-content foods – fruits and veggies. This will help prevent dehydration. In these situations, where the beak is chipped by a fall, I recommend finely chopped fresh foods. I would use a food processor and make a mash. My mash diet recipe can be found at http://www.parrothouse.com/mash.html The beak will grow back with time. I would suggest that this Grey be fed a small amount of mashed hard-boiled egg every other day to help along the proper growth of its beak."

Source: Africangreys.com

However since you mentioned bleeding, a vet is still a good idea in case anti-biotics may be needed to ward off infections.

He chipped off the sharp part of his beak. It's painful as he doesn't want to move about much. I gave him some of the most calorie and fat dense food I could find that was also soft.

Peanut butter. I think he appreciated it. They don't use that part of the beak for breaking things open but I imagine that anything hitting the inside of his upper beak must cause him some discomfort. For now I've moved all his food and water trays close to him so he doesn't have to move around at all if he doesn't want to.

I'm hoping in a day or two it will be less sore. They can adapt to almost anything My blue-front amazon caught his toenail in a lock, and managed to twist his leg almost to where he broke it. He limped around on one leg for a month and a half before putting weight on it again. Within a few days he was able to get around the cage, eat - do everything he did before.

I'm watching him.

I need a drug scale.

I also found hand feeding formula and a syringe - if necessary I'll hand feed him.

Mr. Nig.

Bite me.

Frankly I'm tired of hearing how good you are and how well your Greys were. You're one of these prissy know it alls who probably lived in an ivory tower your whole life. I can just imagine with your personality, that you probably had all the little girls who worked for you cowering.

So bite me.

PP

pistonpilot..

Can I suggest that if you don't like someones advice, just ignore it, rather than posting insults. I've looked back at previous posts and cannot see any reason why nignoy would deserve that.

totster

Mr. Nig.

Bite me.

So bite me.

PP

pistonpilot..

Can I suggest that if you don't like someones advice, just ignore it, rather than posting insults. I've looked back at previous posts and cannot see any reason why nignoy would deserve that.

totster

Taa very much :o Nignoy