rules i have learnt ( the hard way ) to live by in thailand.

dirtycash

Number 1....this is LIEland......so not believe anything or anyone.....stay in your room, do not go out in the streets, forget the motorbike, car, just walk, walk, walk, if you have too.....get a coin operated gf and live each day like it will be your last.....Amen...?

Never found a coin operated GF yet. Where do you get those? Mine always run on large notes.

Den

What about "There are NO secrets in Thailand" ?

There can be if you avoid crapping on your own doorstep. Also , completely forget your own indiscretions whilst being quick to disapprove of anybody else doing the same. The secret of success is sincerity. Once you can fake it you've got it made.

You're going back to the Flanders and Swann era. " Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not" from "The Reluctant Cannibal"

I am really not so tight fisted. My pension is over 100,000 baht monthly, and I never go without. I have over 3,000,000 baht in emergency funds. I travel all over SEA and just returned from Chiang Rai last week after spending a week there. I stay at 3-star hotels when I travel and eat at upscale restaurants. My budget is not make or break, but merely a practical quide to responsible spending. I enjoy hitting a few selected bars/clubs twice a week and tip generously. I live well here in Bangkok but I do so responsibly within my more than ample budget. With regard to paying for a round of drinks when it is my turn as you say, I don'play that nonsense. Why is that you say? Because it is a waste of money buying drinks to strangers and drunks. I would rather buy a few lady drinks to a nice lady during good conversation.that' how I roll.

So your budget is approximately 3,333 baht EACH day, not many, well nobody, spends that everyday.

I just found it strange, with such a decent pension, why you have to split it per day, as opposed to, say, weeks or even the month.

I am really not so tight fisted. My pension is over 100,000 baht monthly, and I never go without. I have over 3,000,000 baht in emergency funds. I travel all over SEA and just returned from Chiang Rai last week after spending a week there. I stay at 3-star hotels when I travel and eat at upscale restaurants. My budget is not make or break, but merely a practical quide to responsible spending. I enjoy hitting a few selected bars/clubs twice a week and tip generously. I live well here in Bangkok but I do so responsibly within my more than ample budget. With regard to paying for a round of drinks when it is my turn as you say, I don'play that nonsense. Why is that you say? Because it is a waste of money buying drinks to strangers and drunks. I would rather buy a few lady drinks to a nice lady during good conversation.that' how I roll.

So your budget is approximately 3,333 baht EACH day, not many, well nobody, spends that everyday.

I just found it strange, with such a decent pension, why you have to split it per day, as opposed to, say, weeks or even the month.

Well if you add in condo rent, utilities, visa runs, alcoholism and some solid whore mongering you could easy hit 3333baht/day

Well if you add in condo rent, utilities, visa runs, alcoholism and some solid whore mongering you could easy hit 3333baht/day

When I work out a budget, I subtract the essentials, namely some of the things you mention, rent, utilities etc...

The remaining balance then gives you a good idea of how much you have available for the rest of the month.

8) Always wear boxers unless you enjoy the tingling sensation of a nasty ball rash every day of the year.

9) Wear the boxers inside out the next day and save on washing and water. wink.png

10) When its really stinking hot don't drink a lot of alcohol unless you want the wrong kind of stroke.

11) When Thai relatives are around stress your poverty. If possible get in first and ask to borrow 500 baht. Takes the wind out of their sails.

I love number 11.

Sure, this probably works well for most places in the world including your own backyard… mostly it is known as common sense and staying active and positive…

Re common sense, so true...., for the most part we all know these things..., I mean as we gain age, we also gain wisdom..., some may say it's plain garden variety common sense.

Personally, as I gain age I mostly seek out 'uncommon sense'.

8) Always wear boxers unless you enjoy the tingling sensation of a nasty ball rash every day of the year.

9) Wear the boxers inside out the next day and save on washing and water. wink.png

10) When its really stinking hot don't drink a lot of alcohol unless you want the wrong kind of stroke.

11) When Thai relatives are around stress your poverty. If possible get in first and ask to borrow 500 baht. Takes the wind out of their sails.

love 11) wery good advice

All good advice. #3 to me is most important.

(1) subtract all your fixed expenses from your net monthly income.

(2) Divide this number 30 (the number of days in the average month).

(3) this number represents your daily maximum expenditure. Don't go over it.

(4) Since I started this plan 18 months ago, I can count on one hand the number of days I either met or exceeded this amount. As a result, I have saved a total of 160,000 baht. The days I meet my goal is literally "money in the bank."

No need to be so tight fisted in running a budget as to have to work out a daily allowance.

Must be fun in the bar when it's your round !

ive learnt not to get into bell ringing and buying rounds, this after i have blew litterally millions upon millions of baht in my former party days. so yes, lesson learnt.

.............. next !!