Terminal 21 Korat

bermondburi

Saw the other day that the building work is in full swing. Does anyone know when it's due to open?

It will be interesting to see what happens when it does open as it will be in direct competition with the mall, which is looking a bit dated from the outside.

I also thought that it was interesting they decided to build in Korat, only the second one in Thailand after the flagship in SKMV. Is this a sign of confidence in Korat as a booming city, the second biggest in Thailand.

Personally, I would have thought they would have built another one in Bangkok first. Thoughts anyone?

You are obviously not too familiar with Korat then, the building work on Terminal 21 has been ongoing for many many months and you don't even mention the new Central being built including a new centara hotel , nor do you mention about the old "dated" Mall being refurbished and doubling in size....lol

HL

You are obviously not too familiar with Korat then, the building work on Terminal 21 has been ongoing for many many months and you don't even mention the new Central being built including a new centara hotel , nor do you mention about the old "dated" Mall being refurbished and doubling in size....lol

HL

Happy you have to realise not everyone gets into Korat as much as you do. I'm lucky/unlucky enough to go maybe 4 times a year. Maybe Bermondburi is the same as me in that he only gets into the big smoke once in a while. Hence his surprise at Terminal 21....lol

Too many shopping malls in Thailand.

Terminal 21 should be finished by next Xmas.

A new MAKRO out near DoHome.

Central shopping Mall is slow.

I heard Big C are going to build a new centre also but its only a rumor.

The Mall is doing extensions including a ice skating rink.

The traffic in Korat is a nightmare now one can only imagine

what it will be like when all of the new malls are completed.

HL

I live in Saudi Arabia, it was the first time I'd been in Korat in ages. I took my children swimming at the mall. Occasionally we visit from our house in Buriram province 100km away. Apologies for not knowing all things Korat.

So where is the central going to be?

So where is the central going to be?

Central is on the same road as Big C but a lot further up, not far from Global House.

HL

Korat really only has a few main roads and no room to expand any others without a lot of 'eminent domain' bulldozing taking place.

I live 35 KM south of Korat, which is really nice...close enough to go for things I cannot get in the village, far enough that I do not have to mess with it otherwise.

I avoid driving through Korat as much as possible. They need ring roads, but maybe that concept is too difficult to grasp.

The shopping malls in Thailand are a much need haven for aging farangs,

Where else can they hang around, spend no or very little money and oggle the pretty young Thai women and girls like the old perverts they are?

It's getting bad.

When my eight year old daughter and I have reason to go to the mall in Korat, we play a game we call " Count the farangs'.

In recent months, our count is getting into the 50s.in visits lasting less than one hour.

Mostly old white guys lottering, staring and almost drooling at every attractive Thai girl.

My daughter notices the staring as well, and it's getting embarrasing for me since I am an old white guy too!

Younger white guys are pretty rare.

White women ae very rare ( they count as two points in out game)

Five years ago it was not too common to see farangs in Korat.

Those days are gone.

The increase in numbers is not so bad,

but the lack of class and manners is disgusting.

Edited by willyumiii

Although I think your choice of description of other farangs is in your own words "a disgusting lack of class and manners" on your part, I personally do not and would not congregate around the coffee shops in question either.

Obviously there are few younger farang men because they are mostly English teachers and are at work, and why the surprise that there are few farang women, they would hardly come here hoping to snare a Thai man would they?

Whether you want to believe it or not the coffee shops are there to attract customers to sit drinking their coffee and I expect the owners are very pleased to have a regular income every morning from the customers regardless of race or age.

As for ogling every lady that walks past, I would bet that the ladies would be a tad disappointed if they weren't noticed and smiled at.

Tell us what should people be looking at if they are sitting in a chair facing the walkways drinking their coffee, not everybody has their eyes glued to a smart phone you know.

HLbiggrin.png

I avoid driving through Korat as much as possible. They need ring roads, but maybe that concept is too difficult to grasp.

What exactly do you mean by a ring road??

If you mean by-pass then Korat has the main Northern by-pass where you miss Korat completely by going north of Joho, and if you are going to Ubon or that way then you take a completely different road (route 24) from the Korat road and can then use the zoo road to get up to the Buriram turn off if necessary. What more ring roads would you need?

HL biggrin.png

If you mean by-pass then Korat has the main Northern by-pass where you miss Korat completely by going north of Joho, and if you are going to Ubon or that way then you take a completely different road (route 24) from the Korat road and can then use the zoo road to get up to the Buriram turn off if necessary. What more ring roads would you need?

HL biggrin.png

A ring road is a system of roads that avoids the city altogether. The zoo road is often heavily congested, and the only way to avoid Korat coming from Buriram intending to go north is via Phi Mai I believe, where you risk finding yourself stuck behind a truck or tractor.

HL biggrin.png

A ring road is a system of roads that avoids the city altogether. The zoo road is often heavily congested, and the only way to avoid Korat coming from Buriram intending to go north is via Phi Mai I believe, where you risk finding yourself stuck behind a truck or tractor.

Yes I can see that, I was referring to the large amount of traffic traveling from Bangkok to the east or northeast that has been catered for. Surely there can't be that much traffic going from Buriram to Phi Mai every day to necessitate the expenditure of building a ring road....lol

HL

HL biggrin.png

Yes I can see that, I was referring to the large amount of traffic traveling from Bangkok to the east or northeast that has been catered for. Surely there can't be that much traffic going from Buriram to Phi Mai every day to necessitate the expenditure of building a ring road....lol

HL

You could say the same thing about Buriram but we have excellent ring roads. My GPS has never yet, based on current traffic, sent me any other way than through Korat (past the Mall) when I make the mistake of trying to get to Buriram from Bangkok via Korat, even at high traffic density.

HL biggrin.png

HL

You could say the same thing about Buriram but we have excellent ring roads. My GPS has never yet, based on current traffic, sent me any other way than through Korat (past the Mall) when I make the mistake of trying to get to Buriram from Bangkok via Korat, even at high traffic density.

Why are you going via Korat? Do you need to enter Korat to visit someone or somewhere? If so then you don't need a ring road as you are entering the town. If you do not need to go to Korat then just head straight down the 24.

They already have roads that by-pass Korat. What Korat lacks is traffic management. Thais cannot program traffic lights. They believe in the longer they hold traffic on red the more traffic moves. How many times does one see police having to manually over-ride the traffic signals? That should not be. Traffic signals can be programmed according to the time of day. All it takes is a census taken over a couple of days to do a traffic count at certain times of the day and then the lights programmed accordingly.

Another way to stop congestion would be 'round-a-bouts. Unfortunately these people wouldn't adhere to the rules of giving way to traffic from the right. Thais are too selfish to have round-a-bouts. So congestion will always be with us.deadhorse.gif

The shopping malls in Thailand are a much need haven for aging farangs,

Where else can they hang around, spend no or very little money and oggle the pretty young Thai women and girls like the old perverts they are?

It's getting bad.

When my eight year old daughter and I have reason to go to the mall in Korat, we play a game we call " Count the farangs'.

In recent months, our count is getting into the 50s.in visits lasting less than one hour.

Mostly old white guys lottering, staring and almost drooling at every attractive Thai girl.

My daughter notices the staring as well, and it's getting embarrasing for me since I am an old white guy too!

Younger white guys are pretty rare.

White women ae very rare ( they count as two points in out game)

Five years ago it was not too common to see farangs in Korat.

Those days are gone.

The increase in numbers is not so bad,

but the lack of class and manners is disgusting.

Last time I spent anytime in my home country, it was the same, a bunch of retired guys would meet for coffee in the local mall. Don't much see anything wrong with that. I personally would far rather meet at some out door spot. I don't like AC.

First off, the new Makro will be opening Feb. 5.

Is it The Mall that's getting ice-saketing? From the Terminal 21 info, they are going

to have it also.

rice555

Find out the latest on Terminal 21 @ Korat

Terminal 21 have been busy and it looks like they will be open by October 2016.​ They will offer the biggest shopping centre in ​Nakhon Ratchasima with a gross area of 200,000 square metres over 7 floors. The car park will host 2,500 vehicles, and another 1,800 motorbikes. The estimated cost of the project is 6 billion Baht.
​The new mall will have a huge variety of shops and looks to be a real monster of a shopping centre in size and ​amenities. Here's what they have confirmed so far: an SF Group Cinema,
an Ice Skating Rink, a Supermarket, a Stationery Department, a Food Court (Pier 21), a Fitness Centre, an Amusement Park, The Power, a Category Megastore (Shoes & Bags, Menswear and Cosmetics), a Sport World, 400 Urbanista Shops, 200 Other Shops and a Multipurpose Hall.
Fact: Termianl 21, Korat will offer the longest escalator in a shopping mall in Thailand.

HL

Central is being built. Central isn't being built. Central is being built. Central isn't being built. Central is being built. Central isn't being built.

That's all I've heard for the past year.

Are they currently building it and if so, where in Korat?

Check out post number 8 and it will tell you.

HL

Thanks. Got it. I passed down that way just an hour ago but didn't notice any construction work (I believe it's the site just a stones throw from NBK/Night Bangkok). There is a fence around the site, but no sign of work going on. Hence the confusion.

Personally, I'd prefer if Korat didn't change and they simply built their blasted shops somewhere else...

The city is changing/developing way too rapidly for my liking.

Edited by djayz

Korat will be more congested than before. I hate the place now cuz of the congestion. Should have been built on the outside.

Its not THAT bad mate, only at peak time at 'knocking off' time. Its pretty much the same in any big city, I moved out of Bkk because of the traffic, so being here is a godsend to me. Korat is definitely on the up.

Malls don't do 'out of town'. I will probably only go to Foodland at T21 when its there.