Good Running Beaches

yogavnture

does any body know of any good running beaches in Thailand , cambodia, Vietnam or phillipines? their are no websites at all in the world on this subject. requirements are that the beach is long enuf for at least a decent run., it is relatively flat, sand is firm. so far in my travels Ive found that lanta, krabi, have decent beaches for this. also danang Vietnam , anybody can u add to my list? I'm picky. must be kinda flat, firm and longenuf for decent run

All on Phuket:

I run at Nai Harn, 8/10 km long.
I used to run (when I was younger and wanted to go further) at Karon beach which is about 4 kms. (one way)

They are both good at low tide.
Can suck at high.

Mai Khao beach is a lot longer but too steep and not nearly as flat as the two above.

I much prefer running barefoot than the cement or blacktop.
Better for my body too.

Khanom... More than 10km long and empty smile.png

I think really what we're talking about is wet flat sand, not dry loose sand. The OP needs a beach that's shallow a long way out - one bad for swimming - and then you need to go when the tides out but hasn't been for too long. Running on loose sand is basically impossible. On deep sand it's something like eight times more effort for any give speed.

[Personally I'd still wear something on my feet for a couple of weeks just to get a view on the broken glass/sharp shell situation].

I think really what we're talking about is wet flat sand, not dry loose sand. The OP needs a beach that's shallow a long way out - one bad for swimming - and then you need to go when the tides out but hasn't been for too long. Running on loose sand is basically impossible. On deep sand it's something like eight times more effort for any give speed.

[Personally I'd still wear something on my feet for a couple of weeks just to get a view on the broken glass/sharp shell situation].

Yup, thats exactly what Khanom beach is... The pic was just to show that it's deserted :)

"I think really what we're talking about is wet flat sand, not dry loose sand."

Wow, isn't that the definition of a "beach"?

Water + sand = beach

If it were dry sand, it's a desert.

Maybe I just don't drink enough to "understand", 555

Edited by SiSePuede419

all i can say is a decent run is one that u can go at least ten minutes at reasonable pace one way. then u can do laps if need be.alot of talk about firm sand here. any runner knows what I'm talking about . sand needs to be firm (usually tides do this over time, compacting it with the water) length of beach is not a huge deal but one that u can do laps if need be to get in a 25 minute run. and flat is flat . I don't know where a lot of these beaches u speak of are . but the ko payam one sounds like one worth investigating. again, I can vouch for danang Vietnam. long beaches uncrowded. and also krabi long beach and lanta as well. I'm interested in finding another running beach in Vietnam somewhere. its hard to find running beaches in asia on the web. or worldwide in general no sites on this subject. thanks

to me a decent run is 23 minutes long. although I would tolerate a decent beach which is half the distance needed and do laps if I needed to

"Decent run" can be 500m to one and 5km to another ?

I think you need to give an approximation of your needs.

I have run along Beach Road in Pattaya and having been to Jomtiem once, I would guess that would be a decent place to run on the sand. Are there other good places to run around Pattaya?

Apologies, but my reference to jomtiem was a bit tongue in cheek,, the reference to the quality of some of the beach food being the clue to my cheeky comment,

if an early morning run I think it would be a decent choice but I don't really think I'd recommend running at jomtiem in peak times during the afternoon, too many obstacles as its a busy beach, whether it be busy with people on the beach or if you're running on the sidewalk too many pick up trucks parking/leaving the parking areas, in some areas if I remember correctly pedestrians have to pass through these parking areas to join the continuation of the sidewalk which could be a safety concern, a while now since I've been there so maybe it's changed, Cha am is our beach of choice nowadays due to proximity

Edited by jonnyscot

• 4 weeks later...

I've not run regularly for the best part of twenty years because my Achilles are wrecked by leaping, bounding and running, so it has been elliptical, stepper and bike. Running on sand makes you flat footed. I might try it. I've a suspicion it might take the pressure off the tendons and lower leg.

cornishcarlos. have u been to the nakhon si thammarat area ? i see their mmight be alot of running beaches in this area. i see their is a nakhon si thammarat airport which i suppose means thier is a city of same name thier? have u been thier? IM LOOKING FOR PLACE THAT I CAN get a massage and good food. i think thier must be almost no western tourists in this area? are the running beaches within motorbike distance of the main city?