Ford Ranger

Guemlum

Yes, I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for my WT Ranger. Disgraceful service.

There was a spot of poor paint on the passenger door. Ford agreed and fixed it with no quibbles and it was done faultlessly.

Otherwise, we're still impressed with the car and know we made the right choice.

Yes, I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for my WT Ranger. Disgraceful service.

There was a spot of poor paint on the passenger door. Ford agreed and fixed it with no quibbles and it was done faultlessly.

Otherwise, we're still impressed with the car and know we made the right choice.

Yep - your Wildtrak 2.2L 4x2 is an absolute stand out - excellent ride quality, performance just as good as the VIGO 3.0L but with about 25% better FE, all the safety kit, great interior, great infotainment system, with best in class ride, handling and noise control - all leaving you change to spare out of 1M Baht.

Pickup buy of the year, IMHO.

Edited by IMHO

How much is the top of the range Ranger with all the bells and whistles?

Has anyone chipped theirs for more power/torque?

I've gone from wanting the Everest to the Maxda CX-5/Nissan X-Trail to the Ranger. lol.

The top 3.2 ranger is close to 1.2M now, it's on their website. It's much cheaper than the top ranger by about 500K baht. The ride quality will be different though. I'd get a ranger if I didn't live in the city:)

I've gone from wanting the Everest to the Maxda CX-5/Nissan X-Trail to the Ranger. lol.

The top 3.2 ranger is close to 1.2M now, it's on their website. It's much cheaper than the top ranger by about 500K baht. The ride quality will be different though. I'd get a ranger if I didn't live in the city:)

I assume you mean cheaper than the top X-trail or CX-5. Guessing CX-5

I assume you mean cheaper than the top X-trail or CX-5. Guessing CX-5

The top spec Wildtrak 3.2L 6AT 4x4 is 1.189M Baht, which is 560K Baht cheaper than the top-spec Everest Titanium+ 3.2L 6AT AWD - so I'm guessing that's what he means wink.png

If you don't particularly need 4WD, and you'd be happy with the performance of a VIGO 3.0L, the Wildtrak 2.2L 6AT RWD is 985K Baht - or 945K if you want to switch gears yourself. For over 200K less than the top spec, it really doesn't miss out on that much either: https://www.ford.co.th/en/trucks/new-ranger/models#step=1

There is a 2.2L 4WD, but the added weight/drag adds over a second to the 0-100 and 80-120 times - which may or may not be important to you :)

Edited by IMHO

How much does chipping it tax the engine?

http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/ford/ranger/ranger./3-2-tdci-147kw/index.php

Another 56bhp and 116Nm is no joke!

When it comes to Ranger engines, especially the 5-pot, make sure you find something that's tried and tested on the exact same engine. Don't be the lab guinea pig smile.png

As for taxing the engine, in the case of the 5-pot there's a good 40HP+ locked up in de-tuning software to pass emmissions regs, and big chunks of torque tuned out in 1st and 2nd gears so the transmission isn't run over-spec. That's before you've boosted anything ;)

Edited by IMHO

When it comes to Ranger engines, especially the 5-pot, make sure you find something that's tried and tested on the exact same engine. Don't be the lab guinea pig smile.png

As for taxing the engine, in the case of the 5-pot there's a good 40HP+ locked up in de-tuning software to pass emmissions regs, and big chunks of torque tuned out in 1st and 2nd gears so the transmission isn't run over-spec. That's before you've boosted anything wink.png

Would chipping the 2.2 rwd wildtrak give it at least 3.2 performance? That seems like a cheaper alternative to the 3.2, and like you said, does not miss out on much compared to the 3.2. A chipped 2.2 rwd could be quicker than the 3.2 4x4, given the weight differences. It's too bad the kuga/escape didn't make it to our shores. A small version of the everest with a 2.2/3.2 would suit a lot of people. My wife doesn't like pickups much, unfortunately. I think its the idea of climbing up the back to get out the shopping bags that puts her off laugh.png

As for taxing the engine, in the case of the 5-pot there's a good 40HP+ locked up in de-tuning software to pass emmissions regs, and big chunks of torque tuned out in 1st and 2nd gears so the transmission isn't run over-spec. That's before you've boosted anything wink.png

Would chipping the 2.2 rwd wildtrak give it at least 3.2 performance? That seems like a cheaper alternative to the 3.2, and like you said, does not miss out on much compared to the 3.2. A chipped 2.2 rwd could be quicker than the 3.2 4x4, given the weight differences. It's too bad the kuga/escape didn't make it to our shores. A small version of the everest with a 2.2/3.2 would suit a lot of people. My wife doesn't like pickups much, unfortunately. I think its the idea of climbing up the back to get out the shopping bags that puts her off laugh.png

Wild claims aside, a decent piggyback - i.e. one that connects in series with each injector - or an ECU flash is going to increase HP/torque by somewhere around 20% - which pushes the 2.2L to 190'ish HP and 460'ish Nm.. pretty darn close to the 3.2.

The 3.2L does have a wider torque spread on it's side though, but it also has a weight disadvantage. Overall, the end result would probably be 0-100 in the same sort of range (10.x seconds).

I was told that the 3.2 could not be chipped but remapped giving it 50 more hp

Apparently Steinbauer make a piggyback that works on the MY11-14 3.2L, making a claimed 240HP/564Nm - but I haven't seen or heard of anyone that's tested it on the MY15-16 revised version of the 3.2L engine yet.

An ECU flash is the best option - because it's the only way to unlock all the tuned-out power - and that alone gives the same type of top-end gains, but with the potential for big improvements (at your own risk) in 1st and 2nd gear - all without actually stressing the engine any more than it was designed to do.

A piggyback is defintely more warranty friendly though wink.png

Edited by IMHO

I had mine Wildtrak 3.2 for over a year now. No problems at all. It's a great truck. Oh, apart from rats (actually mice) getting into the engine compartment when we were on holidays for a month, and eating all the cables. Car was dead when we got back, called Ford, they picked up the truck and one week later it was running. Still have some ratholes in the bed-liner, but the insurance will fix that, the Ford tells me. Great service and nice people (Ford Chumpon). The engine is great. It's my first diesel. Always had big displacement gasoline Jap V6 and inline 6 before in my trucks, but this one is really great. Together with its autobox, it's a great combination. I really don't feel I'm in a diesel. But the car is BIG... I mean, I wouldn't want to drive it around Bangkok. Even have problems parking in Hua Hin Market Vilage. Here they seem to make all parking for little Honda Vios.

He probably meant he could not afford an up market version like the Wildtrak.

Normally pickup prices are close but the equipment levels vary between the brands.

Toyota give nothing away, Mitsu more generous, the others in between.

We got another work truck last year and for the same features (2WD Extra cab with ABS and airbag) Isuzu were more expensive than the Ranger XLT.

Isuzu have always been overpriced here. Could never work out how they got away with it.

But, yes. He may well have been referring to it being a WT but it didn't seem so.

We used to get similar complements aimed at our old PK WT too which made the missus happy.

Edited by JaseTheBass

I recently found out the mitsu triton can be used im 4wd high range on wet pavement. Is that standard across all pickups. I thought 4wd on pickups can only be used off road..

Any truck can be used in 4 high. Have done it on snow and rain soaked roads for many years

I recently found out the mitsu triton can be used im 4wd high range on wet pavement. Is that standard across all pickups. I thought 4wd on pickups can only be used off road..

The Triton 4x4 has a Torsen centre differential, so is able to be used as permanent all-wheel-drive - wet/dry/whatever.

All other pickups on the Thai market use a much simpler 4WD system w/out centre diff, and 4x4 modes should only be engaged on surfaces that are slippery enough to allow all wheels to travel at different speeds.

There is also a Ranger variant that uses the Everest's chassis, rear coils, and has the Terrain Management System, which is full-time AWD.

Edited by IMHO