How to remove ticks from around a dog's eyes

I've just got back to Thailand after being in the UK working and we seem to have a problem with ticks on one dog in particular. Longer term I need to find out why Frontline which has been fairly successful until I left isn't working so well. My immediate problem is that one dog which I think is nearly 9 months has a lot and some are on the edge of the eyelid. The are also some on the edge of the ear which I can deal with but some seem to be in the ear as well. The dog is pretty calm but I'm not sure if it's going to hurt her which might make make her less accepting later.

Has anyone dealt with ticks around the eyes before that can share their ideas?

That obviously works although I don't know if there a danger of leaving the mouth parts on the skin. There another video of a guy using Frontline direct onto a tick just below the eye and I know some people have used alcohol but this is on the edge of the eyelid.

I'm beginning to think this might be a job for the vet to do with the dog under anaesthetic.

Thanks anyway.

That obviously works although I don't know if there a danger of leaving the mouth parts on the skin. There another video of a guy using Frontline direct onto a tick just below the eye and I know some people have used alcohol but this is on the edge of the eyelid.

I'm beginning to think this might be a job for the vet to do with the dog under anaesthetic.

Thanks anyway.

it is winter here and no tick so I did not have a chance to test the technique.

I dont know about alcohol or chemicals so close to the eye, from the video it seems like by moving the tick in a circular motion the tick releases and does not leave mouth parts in the skin,

See if there is a tick on an other location on the dog and try it there first,

Good luck

I use the wide tweezers like the ones you use to pull pin bones from fish. I live in farm country and have had as many as 23 dogs at one time, I raised Golden retrievers. Grasp the body and pull straight out. There is no need to take the dog to the vet an anaesthetise it as the aesthetic is very dangerous.

I use the wide tweezers like the ones you use to pull pin bones from fish. I live in farm country and have had as many as 23 dogs at one time, I raised Golden retrievers. Grasp the body and pull straight out. There is no need to take the dog to the vet an anaesthetise it as the aesthetic is very dangerous.

Is the closeness to the eyes that's the real problem. I've removed loads elsewhere on the body. I don't want the dog to move suddenly and get a pair of tweezers stuck in them. I've just managed to get one of that had grown quite big so I'll keep trying.

It's a female which is about 8 to 9 months and will need to be neutered so may that would be a good time.

Ticks breath through their skin. Smear them with something oily and non toxic to the dog (butter will do) the tick will then pull itself out and you can remove it.

I do remember a lot of people used Vaseline at one time so your suggestion might be worth trying.

Should get a blood test for tick fever . F/line only works well when used monthly religiously. I have 6 dogs use F/line each month on the 1st & have no ticks

I think your comment about Frontline might be the problem here. I don't think it's been done regularly whilst I've been away although to be fair I'm having problems myself getting the dogs to stay still whilst I apply it. One of the dogs we had before I went away was always a bit of a problem but is worse now and and some of the other older dogs are a bit of a handful as well. I will get it done though.

On the plus side the dog with the ticks round the eyes seems to be a lot better. She's had Frontline and I've been removing ticks round the eyes as they get big enough to get hold of. Fortunately she happy to stand still for me.

Cannot understand why Frontline is not working.

It seems your dogs are living in a highly tick infested environment and that the ticks are reinfecting your dogs quicker then the Frontline can eradicate them. First you need to tidy up the areas where your dogs hang out, by making sure all weeds and grass are cut down and that their bedding is cleaned and disinfected, then try the Frontline again. If you allow your dogs to venture outside the borders of your property or never allow them indoors, then you are always going to have tick, flea and parasite problems.

Archived