Would your own embassy report you for overstay?

A good friend needs a birth cert in order to get married and solve the overstay problem...

They can be reissued from home which would take a couple of weeks or from the embassy in bkk could issue them within a couple of days

Would a foreign embassy report their own citizen or just take the payment and process the request ?

If someone is on overstay they may have a problem in getting married !

Best resolve the overstay and then get married .

I doubt an Embassy would report a person as being an "overstayer"

Thats understood but the overstay could be fixed inside a day by flying out from the airport in early morning, paying the fine etc and fly back in on a tourist visa ,

if the birth cert is not ready inside the first 4 weeks , the marriage visa would be delayed again ... so one thing is equally as important as the other .... Etc etc

I didn't think an embassy would report their own citizen either but maybe they are obligations we don't know about.... In relation to stamping or issuing documents I would assume a valid passport must be presented for anything ?

Edited by Ks45672

Thats understood but the overstay could be fixed inside a day by flying out from the airport in early morning, paying the fine etc and fly back in on a tourist visa ,

if the birth cert is not ready inside the first 4 weeks , the marriage visa would be delayed again ... so one thing is equally as important as the other .... Etc etc

I didn't think an embassy would report their own citizen either but maybe they are obligations we don't know about.... In relation to stamping or issuing documents I would assume a valid passport must be presented for anything ?

Who says a birth certificate is required in order to get married in Thailand ?

Here is a guide to what is normally required....

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/marriage.html

They've asked one or maybe both to provide birth certificates and proof of being single/unmarried from their respective home countrys as far as I know.... I'll double check but I think that's was what they asked for because they're both non Thais...

I doubt the embassy would call the police anyway but if there's a risk of that the documents can be posted over with FedEx.... :)

Edited by Ks45672

I doubt a birth certificate is needed for a foreigner to marry a Thai in Thailand but each country has it's own requirements as to what documents are required by their nationals in order to get married in Thailand. The Amphur office will be aware of what they are for each country and accept them after they have been translated into Thai and certified by the DFA. For example, as an Australian citizen all I needed was a statutory declaration signed at the Australian Embassy stating that I was eligible to marry. My Filipino wife required a different document peculiar to the Philippines. Some European countries require more rigorous proof the person is not already married.

Edited by tropo

I knew an American guy who was on 11 years overstay and eventually went to his embassy in BKK to apply for a new passport and they did not report his overstay and issued him a new passport.

Just curious, how would a new passport with no immigration stamps in it help him?

Obviously it wouldn't help, if it did no-one would ever have an overstay problem, they'd just get a new passport.

• Like 1

I knew an American guy who was on 11 years overstay and eventually went to his embassy in BKK to apply for a new passport and they did not report his overstay and issued him a new passport.

Just curious, how would a new passport with no immigration stamps in it help him?

Obviously it wouldn't help, if it did no-one would ever have an overstay problem, they'd just get a new passport.

The new passport was probably obtained because the old one was expired.

Getting a new passport would not hide an overstay.

You would also need the old passport with the expired visa or extension of stay in it in order to leave the country or have a letter from your embassy if you do not have your old passport. Immigration has all your information in their system and would therefore know of the overstay. Edited by ldiablo

The only reason for the Embassy to report you is if you are wanted in your home country for a criminal offense. Your status in Thailand is between you and Thai immigration.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Like 2

In many cases, I don't see how the embassy would know unless of course in some of the circumstances mentioned where the person needs to show some timelines in the country, supporting documents etc. However, I would not be surprised if Thailand sends out a memo requesting such a thing from foreign embassies. There probably is something in the communiques where Thailand expects embassies to report foreigners known crimes.

I didn't need my birth certificate when I got married last year. I even got married in a different province from the one stated on the form I obtained from the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Alan

They've asked one or maybe both to provide birth certificates and proof of being single/unmarried from their respective home countrys as far as I know.... I'll double check but I think that's was what they asked for because they're both non Thais...

I doubt the embassy would call the police anyway but if there's a risk of that the documents can be posted over with FedEx.... smile.png

" I'll double check but I think that's was what they asked for because they're both non Thais..."

if the birth cert is not ready inside the first 4 weeks , the marriage visa would be delayed again

If both are non Thais, what sort of "marriage visa" does he plan on getting?

Guess he is on 12,13,14 or 15 years overstay now.

Guess he is on 12,13,14 or 15 years overstay now.
Your guess is as good as mine, but knowing him you're probably right. It would be 13 by now. Edited by ldiablo

I thought a Farlang wanting to marry a Thai in Thailand requires a sworn affidavit from the Farlang`s embassy. That means the embassy has a duty to inform Thai immigration of an overstay or refuse to do the affidavit until the overstay is sorted.

Thailand is coming down hard on overstayers now, they`ll probably ban him from the country for life, after a big fine or a prison sentence. It scares me even thinking about it.

• Like 1

I thought a Farlang wanting to marry a Thai in Thailand requires a sworn affidavit from the Farlang`s embassy. That means the embassy has a duty to inform Thai immigration of an overstay or refuse to do the affidavit until the overstay is sorted.

Thailand is coming down hard on overstayers now, they`ll probably ban him from the country for life, after a big fine or a prison sentence. It scares me even thinking about it.

The sworn affidavit is regarding "freedom" to marry...that you are not married or are legally divorced.

How is the embassy of a country other than Thailand supposed to determine overstay. It is not their bailiwick.

Well, stop thinking please.

As a other member on this form already said;

This is between the person and his embassy and has nothing to do with the Thai Immigration officce.

Please, don't talk BS on this subject.

There are a lot of people that are facing the deportation ban if they don't clear up there problems before March 20.

There is no need to scare them more with stuff that is not to the point.

Well, stop thinking please.

As a other member on this form already said;

This is between the person and his embassy and has nothing to do with the Thai Immigration officce.

Please, don't talk BS on this subject.

There are a lot of people that are facing the deportation ban if they don't clear up there problems before March 20.

There is no need to scare them more with stuff that is not to the point.

No matter what, if someone is on overstay there is no getting out of it unless they know a corrupt crewman on the Star ship Enterprise who can beam them up. The consequences could be dreadful. Just don`t go on overstay, prevention is better then cure.