Changing Traveler's Cheques

doctormann

Hi

I have some visitors arriving and they have insisted on bringing Sterling traveler's cheques as they don't trust ATMs and don't want to bring actual cash.

So, where is the best place in Pattaya to exchange Sterling cheques? Do all banks accept them or only a few and do they need to go to a main branch? Will the exchange booths deal with them?

I have used Bank Gold in the past but only for changing notes - not sure if they deal in cheques but suspect not.

If anyone knows of somewhere on the 'dark side' that will do this then that would be ideal.

Thanks,

DM

Hi

i changed a UK sterling TC yesterday at an exchange booth of Krung Thai bank ( on naklua main road)

Fee of 100 baht, stamp duty of 3 baht.

To the best of my knowledge most of the bank exchange booths will change TC`s.

The independent/non bank based booths don`t seem to want them. ( could be exceptions of course )

It used to be 33 Baht per cheque until a couple of years ago, then in went up to a whopping 153 Baht per cheque. Some banks or money changers may charge less; 103 Baht is a "good" rate. If TCs are of low denomination; £20s for example; then it's a very expensive way to change money, especially considering that a fee or commission will have been paid when buying them back home.

Krung Thai Bank give the best rate for TC's

And the cost of cashing them is 153 baht PER CHEQUE.

Tell them to try and take as large denomination as possible, and if they can buy them through Lloyds/TSB in the UK, then you can buy for 0% commission.

Edited by TaaSaparot

Tell them to try and take as large denomination as possible

And do another attempt to convince them to use a better method tongue.png

Whats their paranoia about ATM or cash?

Did they read too many reports about skimming?

How much cash do they need?

ATM: 30k THB for a fee of 200 Baht with a good rate.

Tell them to try and take as large denomination as possible

And do another attempt to convince them to use a better method tongue.png

Whats their paranoia about ATM or cash?

Did they read too many reports about skimming?

How much cash do they need?

ATM: 30k THB for a fee of 200 Baht with a good rate.

Actually I have seen many case where bad ATMs in Thailand, from power failure and what not eat up the card and most of the time looks like some bank's policy is not to return the card but ask the customer to get a new card instead, a nice earner for the bank... massive inconvenience of travelers if that's the only source of cash they have

Tell them to try and take as large denomination as possible, and if they can buy them through Lloyds/TSB in the UK, then you can buy for 0% commission.

There are TCs with a value of £200. 153 Baht off £200 is better than 153 Baht off £20 x 10.

There are TCs with a value of £200. 153 Baht off £200 is better than 153 Baht off £20 x 10.

Seem difficult to get hold of nowadays, but I still have some £500 TC's.