Looking For A Vocational College In Thailand

prighas

Hi guys,

I have been working as a chair of department and a lecturer at one of the international universities in Thailand. I have a student from Bangladesh who constantly had a problem with learning especially when it came to theoretical perspectives. The student, otherwise, is very skillful and extremely good with his hands. He could assemble/disassemble many electronic parts without any difficulty. However, when it comes to writing solutions to a theoretical exam paper, it would seem as if he had no idea what to write.

This student is not able to go back to Bangladesh for family reasons and is therefore forced to stay outside his homeland. I need to find some kind of 'vocational school' for him so that he would be able to learn and practice his skills and abilities. I think that at this stage, he doesn't have any special preference and is only looking for school/college that can accommodate him. I don't think he has any financial constaints and hence your suggestions are welcomed even if the school is located outside Thailand (except Bangladesh).

Please let me know if you are familiar with any school/college that focuses on practical professions mostly importantly using the English medium.

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by prighas

I don't know of any with an English Program where all subjects are taught in English, but most will have some subjects (English for tourism etc) and general English classes. If your student's problem is academic English, send him to a language school.

I don't know of any with an English Program where all subjects are taught in English, but most will have some subjects (English for tourism etc) and general English classes. If your student's problem is academic English, send him to a language school.

I don't think English is the main issue here. I have students whose English skills are way below his level but still can make it through the general courses. His problem is more related to trying to put together different concepts. He had been enrolled in an ESL program for more than 3 years but is still unable to pass the TOFEL. He could communicate way much better than the other Thai students but could never possibly pass the exam. I know this is strange.

I don't think English is the main issue here. I have students whose English skills are way below his level but still can make it through the general courses. His problem is more related to trying to put together different concepts. He had been enrolled in an ESL program for more than 3 years but is still unable to pass the TOFEL. He could communicate way much better than the other Thai students but could never possibly pass the exam. I know this is strange.

IELTS sounds more appropriate as this tests his ability to use the language. TOEFL tests your knowledge of the language

IELTS sounds more appropriate as this tests his ability to use the language. TOEFL tests your knowledge of the language

I agree with you on that. My University has already shifted to adopting IELTS instead of TOEFL. It surely is taking the students a whole lot of time before they could be admitted to regular studies. Still when they get admitted and after they do pass IETLS, a few of them still have problems with English. However, the issue here is this guy can't do all of this. I need to get him into some kind of polytechnic school.

• 3 weeks later...