So I drove off with the tailgate down :(

Daffy D

Not so bad you may think but I had the dog a cool box and some other stuff in the back which could have fallen off into fast moving traffic. w00t.gif

Was taking the dog for a walk in the park as usual. I normally open the tailgate and let the dog down to run around and do the things that doggies in parks do.

Most times I walk round with her and if there is some other dog walkers there stop and chat with them.

This time was catting with another guy and it was dark by the time I left. I was at the front of the car and saw the dog had finished sniffing around and was in the back of the truck waiting to go home so I jumped in and drove off. blink.png

The park exit comes right out onto a main highway with continues fast moving and is always a bit of a challenge. Soon after coming out of the park I need to make a right turn so have to wait for a gap in the traffic so I can cut across to the outside lane. This usually means waiting for a suitable gap in the traffic flow then accelerating quite hard across the lanes to get in the right lane.

It wasn't till I got in a side road that I realized I had not shut the tailgate sick.gif

Luckily the dog and all the other bits were still in the back. I hate to think what would have happened if the dog and other stuff had fallen of into the path of fast moving cars, trucks and buses as I accelerated out of the park and right across their paths.

Lesson learned sad.png

I'm now looking at fitting a light on the dash connected to a switch at the tailgate to warn when the tailgate is down. Was thinking of using a door post light switch like the ones for turning on the interior light, but not sure if it will work on the tailgate.

wink.png

I'm now looking at fitting a light on the dash connected to a switch at the tailgate to warn when the tailgate is down. Was thinking of using a door post light switch like the ones for turning on the interior light, but not sure if it will work on the tailgate.

Ask why the car builders can not spend a few bucks to include the tailgate in the usual "door open" warning off the factory.

Almost as epochal as the invention of a switch to avoid driving off with the bike stands down.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Was thinking of using a door post light switch like the ones for turning on the interior light, but not sure if it will work on the tailgate.

Probably the best idea as that is exactly what it is designed for and will be a similar environment. The only variable will be the gap between the tailgate and the bed vs the door and the jamb. This can be checked using Plasticine/Play-Doh from the 7-11.

A work friend of Mrs CM tied her dog to the back of the underside of her pickup and opened the tailgate to provide shade. A couple of hours later she and her husband left, the one thinking the other had put the dog in the back, neither had although he had closed the tailgate but hadn't noticed the dog which was presumably under the truck asleep. They told us it was about two kilo's further on that realized the dog wasn't in the back and stopped the truck, the dog was alive, badly cut and scraped and of very nervous disposition! It lived but it's never been the same again.

Was thinking of using a door post light switch like the ones for turning on the interior light, but not sure if it will work on the tailgate.

Probably the best idea as that is exactly what it is designed for and will be a similar environment. The only variable will be the gap between the tailgate and the bed vs the door and the jamb. This can be checked using Plasticine/Play-Doh from the 7-11.

The door post light switches are situated away from water intrusion....Would not be the same on a tailgate....

Edited by pgrahmm

A work friend of Mrs CM tied her dog to the back of the underside of her pickup and opened the tailgate to provide shade. A couple of hours later she and her husband left, the one thinking the other had put the dog in the back, neither had although he had closed the tailgate but hadn't noticed the dog which was presumably under the truck asleep. They told us it was about two kilo's further on that realized the dog wasn't in the back and stopped the truck, the dog was alive, badly cut and scraped and of very nervous disposition! It lived but it's never been the same again.

no warning light for that.

I googled "truck tailgate down warning light" and came on few forum posts regarding this topic. It looks like some people used magnetic switch or door jam/hood switch to rig up something. Looks like one guy had it wired to his hood switch to show "hood up" light if tailgate was down.

Good luck and post details if you get around to doing this.

Here is my dog restraint setup, for two mutts:

post-32253-0-34152200-1453273243_thumb.j

This lets me make the leads long enough each dog can get his snout over the side to look around, but not enough to where the dog can get his body over the edge of the truck bed.

If the dogs need to be further apart, I can move the snaplinks outward and shorten up the leads.

If one dog, I can move the lead to the center and make it longer, or attach the leads from both sides to restrict movement as needed.

I have some handy warning device installed in my truck to check if the tailgate is down.

Some call it a rear view mirror.

Also setting gear to 'reverse' if car is equipped with sensors will give a loud warning.

Been giving it some thought and decided against using a door type pressure switch.

It would have to be weatherproof, also the gaps between the actual tailgate and car body are quite wide so would need some building up to make it work.

Things may get snagged when loading or unloading stuff on the truck.

Same with magnetic switch, maybe not quite so complicated to fit but still need to be weatherproof and both types will need the drilling of holes.

Decided the best switch for the job would be a tilt switch:-

post-35075-0-22561000-1453289276_thumb.j

This type of switch works when it is moved from one angle to another so ideal for the tailgate which moves from vertical to horizontal when opened. The switch can be mounted inside of the actual tailgate so well out of the way of weather.

The Toyota truck already has a brake light array built into the tailgate so I can use the existing holes and grommets to run my wire alongside the existing ones without any additional drilling.

The plan is to run a live feed from the ignition circuit to a light on the dash and run the negative/earth back to the switch in the tailgate.

Well that's the plan just need to source the various bits.blink.png

I have some handy warning device installed in my truck to check if the tailgate is down.

Also setting gear to 'reverse' if car is equipped with sensors will give a loud warning.

My rearview mirror does not show the tailgate

The reverse camera will only help if you reverse first. Driving straight out does not help

wink.png

The reverse camera will only help if you reverse first. Driving straight out does not help

wink.png

Why would the rear view mirror, mounted in the middle of the front window, not show the tailgate.

Don't you have a rear window?

wink.png

So your rear view mirror is adjusted incorrectly and you can not put the car in reverse without actually reversing.

Together with your previous post about near accidents, I think you should not be on the road.

OP, I think you don't need to do anything cos your mistake is now firmly imprinted in your gray cells...smile.png

PS, I cannot see my tailgate via the rear view mirror..

Yea! You'd think so blink.png

Imagine you are going on holiday. You go round the house checking all the windows and doors make sure they are all securely locked.

You check all the switches and taps are off, you close the front door and give it that extra little push to check that it is properly locked and off you go.

Some ways down the road you suddenly think did I turn off the gas w00t.gif

Without a indicator light on the dash to reassure me I'd be forever be jumping out to check the tailgate. biggrin.png

OP, I think you don't need to do anything cos your mistake is now firmly imprinted in your gray cells...smile.png

You can not see your tailgate because you have a top up lid.

In the center mounted rear view mirror you will always see your tailgate, unless it is in a position to squeeze out your pimples.

In the center mounted rear view mirror you will always see your tailgate, unless it is in a position to squeeze out your pimples.

Not always....depends upon your height, and how high you crank your seat up, if your vehicle has that adjustment.

In my Toyota 4-door, with the seat set as I like for my 5' 7" self, and the center mirror set so I can just barely see the bottom of the rear window, I cannot see the tailgate.

Not always....depends upon your height, and how high you crank your seat up, if your vehicle has that adjustment.

In my Toyota 4-door, with the seat set as I like for my 5' 7" self, and the center mirror set so I can just barely see the bottom of the rear window, I cannot see the tailgate.

So if you barely see the bottom of your rear window, then you will see actually your car ceiling, and also see barely behind the car

Yeah, maybe some people are unable to move their head or mirror a little to enable them to see the tailgate, but those people should actually not be allowed behind the wheel of a movinmg vehicle.

So if you barely see the bottom of your rear window, then you will see actually your car ceiling, and also see barely behind the car

Yeah, maybe some people are unable to move their head or mirror a little to enable them to see the tailgate, but those people should actually not be allowed behind the wheel of a movinmg vehicle.

I've been here a while and on my second pickup. What's a rear view mirror?