So I drove off with the tailgate down :(

Daffy D

Look up waterproof micro-switch on the Internet. You will get many hits. You will find many different styles and it should be easy to determine which best fits the need.

The OP's own tilt-switch (mercury switch) idea is the best option. Only one moving part and it is the liquid inside the switch which can be secured and weatherized inside the tailgate using high-tech, anti-vibration, sealant technology... called Play-Doh.

So if you barely see the bottom of your rear window, then you will see actually your car ceiling, and also see barely behind the car

Yeah, maybe some people are unable to move their head or mirror a little to enable them to see the tailgate, but those people should actually not be allowed behind the wheel of a movinmg vehicle.

I've been here a while and on my second pickup. What's a rear view mirror?

Warning, our resident pedant has entered the contest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rear+view+mirror&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3vuu32r3KAhWRHY4KHQENDLkQsAQIHw&biw=1536&bih=719

So if you barely see the bottom of your rear window, then you will see actually your car ceiling, and also see barely behind the car

Yeah, maybe some people are unable to move their head or mirror a little to enable them to see the tailgate, but those people should actually not be allowed behind the wheel of a movinmg vehicle.

I've been here a while and on my second pickup. What's a rear view mirror?

Warning, our resident pedant has entered the contest.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rear+view+mirror&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3vuu32r3KAhWRHY4KHQENDLkQsAQIHw&biw=1536&bih=719

Just taking the piss out of your mildly silly assertion that if you can see your tailgate in your rear-view mirror, then ALL drivers must be able to see theirs regardless of their height, seat adjustment and what they are driving. Then it got really silly when you suggest that those that can't are unfit to be behind the wheel.

You started it.

OP, I think you don't need to do anything cos your mistake is now firmly imprinted in your gray cells...smile.png

PS, I cannot see my tailgate via the rear view mirror..

You can not see your tailgate because you have a top up lid.

In the center mounted rear view mirror you will always see your tailgate, unless it is in a position to squeeze out your pimples.

Not always....depends upon your height, and how high you crank your seat up, if your vehicle has that adjustment.

In my Toyota 4-door, with the seat set as I like for my 5' 7" self, and the center mirror set so I can just barely see the bottom of the rear window, I cannot see the tailgate.

You have not been in my vehicle, you have no idea what is viewable in the mirror.

When you get anywhere close to the miles I have driven, in everything from 2 wheels to 18, then you can judge whether I should be behind the wheel.

You have not been in my vehicle, you have no idea what is viewable in the mirror.

When you get anywhere close to the miles I have driven, in everything from 2 wheels to 18, then you can judge whether I should be behind the wheel.

I don't nee to have been in your vehicle to have an idea to what is viewable in YOUR rear view mirror.

Viewable in ANY rear view mirror is EVERYTHING that is behind you, and even when it isn't viewable in the position you put it, a mirror is adjustable and a persons head is movable also to change the view temporarily.

And yes I can judge if you should behind a wheel, because I remember that you once posted on this forum that you had never see an accident happen in Thailand.

Edited by TheCruncher

I don't nee to have been in your vehicle to have an idea to what is viewable in YOUR rear view mirror.

Viewable in ANY rear view mirror is EVERYTHING that is behind you, and even when it isn't viewable in the position you put it, a mirror is adjustable and a persons head is movable also to change the view temporarily.

And yes I can judge if you should behind a wheel, because I remember that you once posted on this forum that you had never see an accident happen in Thailand.

Before I fitted a lid, which is about 4" tall, l could not see the back of the motor. If I were a tall guy I probably could have, but l ain't..tongue.png

I am only 1.72m and can see the tail gate of my truck.

Yesterday I specially tried if it was possible NOT to see the tail gate if I would be taller or smaller, but I found that in any position I was able to move the mirror temporarily in a position that I could see the tail gate.

By the way I don't even need a mirror for that, I can just turn my head and look through the rear window.

Edited by TheCruncher

I would challenge you to find that post.

I can think of a half-dozen that I have seen right off-hand.

Including at least one seen in the rear-view mirror. I dodged debris in the road, the car a couple of seconds behind me braked instead with predictable results due to the next car being approximately 10 milliseconds behind.

Edited by mgjackson69

A work friend of Mrs CM tied her dog to the back of the underside of her pickup and opened the tailgate to provide shade. A couple of hours later she and her husband left, the one thinking the other had put the dog in the back, neither had although he had closed the tailgate but hadn't noticed the dog which was presumably under the truck asleep. They told us it was about two kilo's further on that realized the dog wasn't in the back and stopped the truck, the dog was alive, badly cut and scraped and of very nervous disposition! It lived but it's never been the same again.

Saw a Thai outfit do the same thing. The dog (small) kept trying to put on the brakes which of course didn't work so it would run a bit. Fortunately The Thais up here drive slow. Bet he had some bleeding feet.

... Yesterday I specially tried if it was possible NOT to see the tail gate if I would be taller or smaller, but I found that in any position I was able to move the mirror temporarily in a position that I could see the tail gate. ...

At least it got you out of the house eh?

I think the OP makes a valid overall point though... what would it cost for the manufacturers to include a switch and a warning light/chime that goes away a few moments after setting off?

It would probably only add a few dollars to the production cost.

I think the OP makes a valid overall point though... what would it cost for the manufacturers to include a switch and a warning light/chime that goes away a few moments after setting off?

How many million pick ups x only a few dollars did Toyota sell last year?

How many million pick ups x only a few dollars did Toyota sell last year?

Compared to the USD ~$1500 per truck they spend on advertising, and the ~$3000 discount they'll give you? :P

Appreciate the suggestions offered

A doggie door - well that too could be left open though with a smaller opening there would be less chance the dog would slip out. blink.png

Like the idea of the dog closing the tailgate - but then she might forget also blink.png

Training the dog to alert me if I move off with the tailgate down could be a bit of a problem. She's a lovely dog but not the brightest so could take some time.sad.png

Still working on sourcing the parts to fit the warning light. Will post results when job finished though with this sudden cold weather don't feel like being outside playing around with the car.

------------------------------------------------------------

Why would you want to see the tailgate in your rear view mirror (apart from confirming that its closedwhistling.gif ) You know it is there and to to see it would only take up mirror space that could be better used showing more road. You know the tailgate is there you cant see through it so what's the point?

Same with having the side mirrors showing half the side of the vehicle. You know where your car is, you don't need to confirm it in the mirrors. I have my side mirrors adjusted so, as a point of reference I just see the side of the car with the rest of the mirror giving as wide a view of the road as possible.

Just my thoughts.wink.png