Five Planets to Align in Night Sky: National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand

webfact

Five Planets to Align in Night Sky
By Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14532620791453262164l.jpg
The planets Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Mars and Jupiter shown in alignment. Graphic: National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand.

BANGKOK — Look up at the night sky and be awed by the alignment of five planets during the next 30 days.

Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Mars and Jupiter will be visible to the naked eye throughout the country Jan. 20 to Feb. 20, according to a statement released by the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand.

The rare alignment will be visible just before sunrise each day, institute deputy director Saran Poshyachinda said in the statement The moon will pass through the row of the planets during those hours, making for a truly “beautiful astronomical phenomenon,” he said.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1453262079

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-01-20

why don't the Thai people ever put North on the top?

Give a Thai a map with north facing in the usual direction and they always give it a spin. You know at that point you are hooped.

Stand on the street and ask a Thai friend which way north is and often they will point straight up.

Give a Thai a map with north facing in the usual direction and they always give it a spin. You know at that point you are hooped.

Stand on the street and ask a Thai friend which way north is and often they will point straight up.

Asia and Africa are not map cultures. When in Africa, a friend of mine (Kenya) who had

a masters in law from a European university lament to me she, and her

friends/countrymen just could not understand maps. So I pulled out a map to try to

understand why. It was a complete revelation to her when I told her that on a proper map

the top of the map was always North. And that knowing East and West from the sun

rising and setting she could orient the map where she was She had no idea. So I asked

he how Kenyans got around. She said simple. If you want to go to that village you take

that trail, and to go to the outer village you get there with another trail. So she new how

to get to any other village by taking specific trails. But she did want to learn about maps.

Edited by Ulic

Not only Thais, my sister in England one time was asking me for directions, and I said "exit the roundabout at 2 O'clock. I got a frustrated call an hour later telling me how bad my directions are. I asked what could possibly go wrong, since 12 is at the top of the clock and there's only one exit even remotely like 2 O'clock. She said "but the top of the clock is 6 and 12 is at the bottom". This is from a person that has two 'proper' degrees under her education belt (I have no qualifications, prefer to be a self learner - or self teacher, depending on which way up you look at it).

Edit: For people who know about these things, does anyone know if this will affect the tidal heights much, or are they too distant to be of significance?

Edited by Shiver

UK used to be like that as well, we didn't usually give directions using the compass but from landmarks.

"Go down to the 'Dog & Whistle', turn left, keeping 'Donelly's' on your right, past the 'Spit & Swallow' and its there in front of you". Simple, but it works.

Most of the landmarks were always pubs and night clubs...........................wink.png I'm sure there are a few on here remember that well.

I remember when i was over in Ireland, i was asked by a visiting American what was the fastest way to get to Dublin.

I asked him was he driving and he said he was.

So i told him that was probably the fastest way. Simple, it should have worked, but he didn't answer me back.

tongue.png

Edited by chrisinth

So hard to stay up that late or get up that early, but I will make it happen. thumbsup.gif

Tomorrow morning Mars will rise just before 1 a.m.(times are approximate depending on location), Saturn just after 3:20,Jupiter around 3:45, Venus around 4:20 and Mercury around 5:45. From the S.E.so that amounts to quite a portion of your view and your unlikely to see Mercury if your horizon is blocked by buildings etc. As the Moon sets, around 3:55, it won't be visible with the planets but of course it will set progressively later as the month proceeds. I do wish these articles would give a little more detail!

Each of the planets as named in the map above are related to days of the week as each Thai person is related to a day of the week by birth.

How does this work out for them in their superstitions? Good or bad, which days are good, which are bad?

It works out great for them, the only bad day is Monday at 17.30, any other questions?

Each of the planets as named in the map above are related to days of the week as each Thai person is related to a day of the week by birth.

How does this work out for them in their superstitions? Good or bad, which days are good, which are bad?

It works out great for them, the only bad day is Monday at 17.30, any other questions?
Yer, just 1.

What's up with Monday 17:30?

The naming of planets and days of the week the same is not unique to Thai - in French they are the same, in the same order - moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn. Only SUNday is different, and the Thais share that with English.

The naming of planets and days of the week the same is not unique to Thai - in French they are the same, in the same order - moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn. Only SUNday is different, and the Thais share that with English.

I know that that have an enthusiast on what day they were born as we do what time of year we're born, Scorpio, Leo etc.

Just was interested how this alignment would work out for them. Don't ask why, because I don't know...

Previous Thai announcement's.

PM P...."i am not a dictator.

We have cured Ebola.

No Thai could have done this.

There is no evidence of IS in Thailand.

There is no prostitution in Thailand.

Thailand is now completely safe for tourists.

We have now created a department called the anti corruption squad.

Err,we seem to have lost the DNA samples.

It was suicide.

ETC,ETC,ETC

KKD

Asia and Africa are not map cultures. When in Africa, a friend of mine (Kenya) who had

friends/countrymen just could not understand maps. So I pulled out a map to try to

understand why. It was a complete revelation to her when I told her that on a proper map

the top of the map was always North. And that knowing East and West from the sun

rising and setting she could orient the map where she was She had no idea. So I asked

he how Kenyans got around. She said simple. If you want to go to that village you take

that trail, and to go to the outer village you get there with another trail. So she new how

to get to any other village by taking specific trails. But she did want to learn about maps.

Now you know why it was Europeans showing up to colonize Asia and Africa instead of Asians and Africans showing up to colonize Europe,

Now you know why it was Europeans showing up to colonize Asia and Africa instead of Asians and Africans showing up to colonize Europe,

And now the middle east has begun the colonization of Europe, ahhh, the joys of history.