Phuket police arrest Bulgarian card skimmer

webfact

Phuket police arrest Bulgarian card skimmer
Eakkapop Thongtub

1453271209_1-org.jpg
A shot of Tulumbadzhiev as he withdraws money from an ATM.

PHUKET: -- A man from Bulgaria was arrested for fraud on Monday (Jan 18) when he was caught using cloned credit cards to withdraw cash from an ATM machine outside of a 7Eleven store in Karon. Police seized from the man a total of 130 cloned cards.

The arrest of the man, 31-year-old Boris Krasimirov Tulumbadzhiev, was announced at a press conference held today (Jan 20) by Phuket Provincial Police Chief Col Teeraphol Thipjareon today where Tulumbadzhiev was presented along with the 130 cloned cards, B10,000 cash, skimmer machine, transaction receipt from Kasikorn ATM and other seized items.

Col Teeraphol explained, “Phuket City Police’s Lt Col Prawit Engchuwn and a team from Kasikorn Bank help to make the arrest Tulumbadzhiev.

“A money laundering and fraud investigation started after Kasikorn Bank suspected a foreign man had been using cloned credit cards to withdraw cash from their ATM machines in Patong, Kamala, Cherng Talay area on Sunday (Jan 17),” he said.

“Tulumbadzhiev was arrested at 12:30pm on Monday at an ATM machine at a 7eleven in Karon after withdrawing B10,000 using one of the cloned cards.

“He had been followed to Karon by officers after he had also withdrawn money from an ATM at a Family Mart on Sirirat Rd in Patong. He then went back to his hotel room on Soi Nainai before going to Karon,” Col Teeraphol added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-police-arrest-bulgarian-card-skimmer-55851.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-20

I wish the Kasikorn bank had been as vigilant when my Kasikorn ATM card was cloned and 50,000 baht withdrawn ... When I talked to the bank they were not the least bit interested and neither was the Chalong police.

Glad this skimmer is off the streets - until he buys his way out ...

I always go inside the bank to withdraw cash. Might take a little bit longer but its safe !! Also its a good way to get to know the staff in case you need their assistance in the future.

Also a good way for staff to get to know you, and how much you have withdrawn.

I always go inside the bank to withdraw cash. Might take a little bit longer but its safe !! Also its a good way to get to know the staff in case you need their assistance in the future.

Always the negative NKM ....

Always the negative NKM ....

A lot of "spotters" here LIK.

I wish the Kasikorn bank had been as vigilant when my Kasikorn ATM card was cloned and 50,000 baht withdrawn ... When I talked to the bank they were not the least bit interested and neither was the Chalong police.

Frightening!sad.png

Frightening!sad.png

Hope you got your money back, Kasikorn Bank pops up a lot in skimming cases I wittnessed and reported one happening in Chiang Mai a while back.

Maybe an insider in Kasikorn providing info to these skimmers

Frightening!sad.png
Hope you got your money back, Kasikorn Bank pops up a lot in skimming cases I wittnessed and reported one happening in Chiang Mai a while back.

No I did not. Bank told me to make police report, which I did, and that was the end of it. I specifically asked for the ATM camera images - they refused to supply.

Frightening!sad.png

No I did not. Bank told me to make police report, which I did, and that was the end of it. I specifically asked for the ATM camera images - they refused to supply.

If your card is a Visa you should contact them.

Frightening!sad.png

Sounds more like insider jobs with Kasikorn Bank now, if your card is from your country then contact bank they are supposed to refund money in skimming/ fraud cases.

When I reported skimmers hitting a Kasikorn bank after they had left the manager did not seem to interested as well. The plot thickens.

Frightening!sad.png

"Maybe an insider in Kasikorn providing info to these skimmers" - in many cases the cards were not even skimmed on Phuket.

They may have been skimmed in Bulgaria, or elsewhere in Europe. The account holders have foreign bank accounts, not Thai bank accounts. They have no reason to suspect their card's data has been captured as it has not been used as yet.

The skimmer can then travel the world, activating blank cards and accessing the accounts. When one person cancels their card because they have finally seen large withdrawals, the skimmer just activates another card / account of the next victim.

Not all skimmers collect the ATM card data, and do the withdrawing. Some collect the ATM card data and then sell it to people who will withdraw from an ATM. Some work together in a partnership.

Best defense is to have no ATM card attached to your main account. Have your ATM card attached to an account that holds very little money, until 10 minutes before you wish to withdraw.

Electronically transfer the amount you wish to withdraw from your main account to your ATM card account and use the ATM.

You may still get skimmed, but this way, if you are skimmed, all you lose is a few hundred baht.

Edited by NamKangMan

The guy is a skimmer, yes?

And it states he went to one bank and then another in the same day...

Doesn't matter what the names of the banks are.

They know that @ one bank he took out 10,000 bht,

again that doesn't really make much difference in the bigger picture here.

If the guy is a skimmer, then when they filed the report,

why are they only claiming he had just 10,000 bht among other items at his place?

When are they going to point out he was on overstay as well?

For all you do gooders out there as well as the immigration who claim that people who overstay,

make lots of money, as well as make it bad for the law abiders who are following the rules.

This scammer could really drive home, not only some extra cash for the ones that caught him,

but also help everyone understand why the officials must, need to crack down on what we once enjoyed about Thailand.

The casualness of the officials performing their duties.

Apparently a thing of the past,

as we are now headed to a land with westernized laws,

with one small difference...which ones will actually be enforced and when?

And with the soon to be single gateway,

we can also enjoy censorship on a professional level,

while TOT & CAT control which areas get the fastest connections for the right price of course.

Just look to 3G & now 4G auctions, and what difference do we see in speed?

I was always happy with the internet I have,

and satisfied with the speeds I received.

Seems like Water shortage & Electricity issue would be a much higher priority for the country,

but then that would not give the officials more power over the people,

now would it?

Come on Junta lovers, rejoice your self appointed government,

and all the new changes coming down the pipeline,

as I'm sure you're enjoying the travels to your favorite watering hole,

which needs to be 300+ meters from schools & temples...

how's that working out for you?

Tuk Tuk & Taxi drivers have to love the fares to get you all to your happy spots...

My card was cloned 4 months ago in an SCB ATM at Homeworks opposite Central. I accidentally found out 24 hrs later while talking to my bank at which time they informed me of two transactions that took place in ATMs in Sukhumvit BKK. Total 620 euros.

A month later the money was back into my account. The bank was HSBC.

This is where getting tough or completely stopping visa runs has my vote. 30 days then thats it unless you NEED or HAVE A REASON to be here. These skimmers stay here simply by skimming cards from everyday people as a means of survival here. In most cases no job, no real reason to be here other than its better than the shit they left and they don't care who the victims are. My card was skimmed last year, I contacted the bank and money was back in my account along with a new card within 48 hours. Never found out if they ever caught the person/people responsible.

Edited by Phuketboy

This is where getting tough or completely stopping visa runners has my vote. These guys stay here simply by skimming cards. My card was skimmed last year, I contacted the bank and money was back in my account along with a new card within 48 hours. Never found out if they ever caught the person/people responsible.

what rote toon do Thai banks offer clients who find money has been taken from their accounts by scimmers?.. Western banks will refund you the money stolen but I am not sure what Thai banks do in this case.

why are they only claiming he had just 10,000 bht among other items at his place?

For all you do gooders out there as well as the immigration who claim that people who overstay,

make lots of money, as well as make it bad for the law abiders who are following the rules.

This scammer could really drive home, not only some extra cash for the ones that caught him,

but also help everyone understand why the officials must, need to crack down on what we once enjoyed about Thailand.

while TOT & CAT control which areas get the fastest connections for the right price of course.

Seems like Water shortage & Electricity issue would be a much higher priority for the country,

now would it?

Tuk Tuk & Taxi drivers have to love the fares to get you all to your happy spots...

Ok.

This is where getting tough or completely stopping visa runs has my vote. 30 days then thats it unless you NEED or HAVE A REASON to be here. These skimmers stay here simply by skimming cards from everyday people as a means of survival here. In most cases no job, no real reason to be here other than its better than the shit they left and they don't care who the victims are. My card was skimmed last year, I contacted the bank and money was back in my account along with a new card within 48 hours. Never found out if they ever caught the person/people responsible.

"30 days then thats it unless you NEED or HAVE A REASON to be here." - how does that stop skimmers from skimming here, during their 30 day stay?

Skimmers could come here, use the ATM's with skimmed cards. have a holiday, and fly home with the money, or move on to the next country.

Sounds more like insider jobs with Kasikorn Bank now, if your card is from your country then contact bank they are supposed to refund money in skimming/ fraud cases.

When I reported skimmers hitting a Kasikorn bank after they had left the manager did not seem to interested as well. The plot thickens.

No it was not an inside job, I well know it was a foreigner (maybe French) who suckered me into reinserting my Kasikorn ATM card into the machine by saying I had left 1,0000 baht in the machine (he gave me the 1,000 baht first). I knew right away there was omething wrong, I even went into the next Kasikorn bank on my route to check my bank balance, but I was so stupid not to change my passcode at that time.

now would it?

Wot a strange post. Hav u been drinking again?

now would it?

and the man just loves to smile and be at the media forefront but totaly arrogant and ignorant of the pot dipping in his empire.

Siam bank also seem to be " insecure" .

It could be from lack of reporting, but this seems to be going on a lot in Phuket... Or am I just sensitive to it, living here, with it actually going on everywhere? ( in Thailand.... I realize that it is a worldwide affliction)

Edited by farcanell

I once left my Halifax card in a machine once,and the machine promptly Ate it.The machine was a stand alone type

outside a visa/holiday shop.I went into the shop to ask if they knew the number of The Kasicorn service department.

Amazingly, they did.They even called them for me.I spoke to a lady there who told me that the machine was due to be

emptied by Kasicorn engineers on the Monday(this was a Saturday)I immediately cancelled the card.The lady in the

visa shop said that she would do me a favour and collect the card for me and hold it until i could get back to

pick it up.Yeh right!!!!!

KKD

over 30yrs.of bank accs.in thailand i have never had a card.

the bloke should be skimmed alive.