My Father in Law

lovelomsak

Just have to tell everyone about my father in law.

He is 88 years old. But thinks he is 35. Yesterday the family could not find him in the village. He called late in the afternoon to come get him at his sisters village 25 kilometers away. He had rode his bike 25 kilo to see his sister and would have rode in home if he didnot get a flat tire. This is petal bike not motor. 2 years ago he did the same thing but rode it back also. He told the wife the next day he was a little stiff..

He does not understand to old or cannot do. If he wants to do something he just does it.and he can at that age amazing guy.

He keeps a garden 40 feet by 20 feet.Digs it all himself and tends it.When one crop is done he digs it up replants.I came to the house just when he was finishing planting his last garden. He planted each plant one at a time bent over and placing it in the ground. It would have killed me but for him just what he does.

He wanted me to have a place to park my car in the yard when I came to his house. He moved a fence and built parking for me. This guy is 88. Bult his own chicken coup last year.

One day I was loading a truck for a friend with some bamboo roofing. The fil thought I was working to slow came over and started to pick up the pace for me. My friend stood back couldnot keep up.

He eats like a working man in his 20's. No toast and tea for this guy.

When he comes to my house he grabs my tools and gets to work doing things he feels I either donot know how to do or cannot do.

He is an inspiration to any and all men.

Loves his family and they love him.

i just wanted everyone to know about this guy he is great.

Most of us will be lucky to see 88. Never mind out work the young whippersnaps around us.

He is never idle,but in bed by 8.

The 88 year old super man

I told my wife today I want to die before him I could not bare to him die he is my hero.

Edited by lovelomsak

What a lovely Post

Every now and again on this forum I am so pleasantly surprised by what people tell us about their relations with their Thai families .

I too am lucky in that my second Thai family are just the same as you outline in your thread about your FIL but it is down to pure luck I am sure.

My first lady wife who coincidentally came from Lomsak had a family who in the event of her playing around whilst I was working away in the UK and getting her the UK visa thought so much of me that they informed me of her infidelity that finished that marriage

I know that my post is slightly off topic but felt that with so many negatives abounding on the forum it is nice to re-address the balance just a little in mentioning when there is something good and proper to report.

I am sure that like all good news items they are not worth talking about by those with a negative experience

Thank you for sharing those lovely thoughts.

May he live his way for a long time more and die peacefully in his sleep.

He will be missed but you have to let him go, it is his destiny.

You will be stronger.

Bless you and yours. x

I really enjoyed your story lovelomsak.

I too was fortunate to have a great father-in-law. He was a farmer, and farmed all his life. However, Tatay was capable of many other things: carpentry, masonry, hunting, fishing, and making tuba (coconut wine).

He and my mother-in-law once visited us on our old farm in West Virginia. I was building a rear porch on our cabin—had to dig out the hillside to do it. We did it with pick and shovel, he worked circles around me. When actually nailing the porch together, I asked him to cut 10 inches off a board. He started sawing without measuring, I repeated 10 inches. Yeah, yeah, he said, and handed the board to me; it was perfect.

When Tatay met my good friend, backwoods mentor, and old West Virginian who used to own my land, they became fast friends—farmer to farmer, I guess. You have to realize, this is boondocksville, 3 miles to the nearest neighbor, 31 miles to the nearest grocery store, and only about 60% of that distance is paved. There are no others than white people living there--no blacks, no Hispanics. My wife was the first Asian in that area. So, all the locals were eager to meet the new "China" man. Tatay and my friend went everywhere together. They walked the woods, tasted the earth, discussed farming techniques, visited all the neighbors for a jaw.

They found they had one more thing in common, making wine. One afternoon they failed to return from their daily walks around the land. I jumped on my four-wheeler to look for them. I found them in the friend’s old cellar, drinking blackberry wine and drunker than any expat.

That is one difference I see between our two wonderful fathers-in-law, mine rarely went to bed early. He loved to hold court in his drinking shed at home with all his compadres about, he always had a chicken of two ready for the fights, and was known to be friendly with several local ladies. However, he died at 75; so there may be a moral here somewhere.

I loved the old coot. Once he saw I loved his daughter, we were best mates.

"He eats like a working man in his 20's. No toast and tea for this guy."

What DOES he eat? Just the traditional Thai food?

Keep in mind that - unlike children today - people like him got few if any vaccinations as children. In my estimation, vaccines are designed, made and used to promote ill-health and for population control and reduction. Vaccinating newborn babies and pregnant women is absolute insanity and absolutely criminal. The

flu vaccine for the elderly is being pushed to get them to meet their maker before they get too old, to save the pension funds.

US children get more vaccines than children anywhere else in the world, but instead of being the healthiest, they are the sickest children ever, with the incidence of chronic ill-health and neurological disorders going through the roof.

I suggest you ask your father-in-law whether he was vaccinated as a child. I would be interested in his reply.

How did this go from a tribute to a healthy man to an rant about vaccinations?

I really enjoyed your story lovelomsak.

I too was fortunate to have a great father-in-law. He was a farmer, and farmed all his life. However, Tatay was capable of many other things: carpentry, masonry, hunting, fishing, and making tuba (coconut wine).

He and my mother-in-law once visited us on our old farm in West Virginia. I was building a rear porch on our cabin—had to dig out the hillside to do it. We did it with pick and shovel, he worked circles around me. When actually nailing the porch together, I asked him to cut 10 inches off a board. He started sawing without measuring, I repeated 10 inches. Yeah, yeah, he said, and handed the board to me; it was perfect.

When Tatay met my good friend, backwoods mentor, and old West Virginian who used to own my land, they became fast friends—farmer to farmer, I guess. You have to realize, this is boondocksville, 3 miles to the nearest neighbor, 31 miles to the nearest grocery store, and only about 60% of that distance is paved. There are no others than white people living there--no blacks, no Hispanics. My wife was the first Asian in that area. So, all the locals were eager to meet the new "China" man. Tatay and my friend went everywhere together. They walked the woods, tasted the earth, discussed farming techniques, visited all the neighbors for a jaw.

They found they had one more thing in common, making wine. One afternoon they failed to return from their daily walks around the land. I jumped on my four-wheeler to look for them. I found them in the friend’s old cellar, drinking blackberry wine and drunker than any expat.

That is one difference I see between our two wonderful fathers-in-law, mine rarely went to bed early. He loved to hold court in his drinking shed at home with all his compadres about, he always had a chicken of two ready for the fights, and was known to be friendly with several local ladies. However, he died at 75; so there may be a moral here somewhere.

I loved the old coot. Once he saw I loved his daughter, we were best mates.

Your last statement rings so true for me also.When I first started dating my wife every time I was visiting at FIL house he was always busy doing something that required having a machete by his side and would give me the eye. Now we are the best of friends since he knows I love his daughter,he cannot do enough for us,and never see the machete any more.

I'm not married; however, my Thai GF's father is in his eighties like the OP's. He comes and gardens in the back yard growing vegetables. We wai one another every day I am there. Has lived in his house in the village all his life. Took him to Central Festival in Chiang Rai. He didn't like it, too many people and cars. His most advanced form of transport is a pushbike. Very likeable, no pretensions, just happy to garden and go to the temple.

Hmmmm..Interesting story.

I think you should buy one of those new, combination stationary exercise bike / electricity generating and battery storage systems and he can hop on to the bike every day for 1 to 2 hours and produce stored electricity for the whole family to use and put his youthful energy to good use.

He would probably love the contraption.

Cheers