Buying a new car - list prices how sticky are they?

turgid

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she will offer the same that the next girl will

In phuket most hondas and mazda's are owned by the same guy same goes for toyota

Honda knows that the only car they have to fear is the everest and ranger.. problem is they don't have any car in competition with those 2 so they really do not care about threats. You either buy them or you're stuck with crap or a luxury expensive brand.

Last time I was shopping for a car I visited Honda, Ford and Toyota dealers in Bangkok. My budget was up to a million cash.

The Honda dealership while empty of customers was the most disinterested dealer I have ever visited in my life. It was a few years ago but having cash meant nothing. No test drive possible, and maybe we will have something in six months. This was when it was a sellers market.

Toyota weren't much better but at least they were a little bit interested in selling me something even if they didn't have stock, but they couldn't even offer even floormats as a sales incentive

Ford wanted my business, 30 minute plus test drive wherever I wanted to take it. Salesman knew his cars. Coffee, biscuits, brochures quickly offered, busy dealership but happy to talk for as long as I had questions. Didn't get a lot of extras, just floor mats, tint, and a few other items. Had the car in the color I wanted within a week. Car is good, but service not so good so now we use a different dealer.

Honda and Toyota will sell lots of cars no matter what, so they can be lazy. Ford are still a minor player in the Thai market so more likely to want your business... just a shame about the service... sad.png

Just put of curiosity what were the issues you had with the service at FORD?

Honda sales are good but arrogant. Ford staff seemed a bit lazy. Mazda sales are pretty desperate. Kia are pushy. Nissan were just a bit rubbish.

This is just my experience of sales staff, others may be opposite.

I could make the exact same post, and shuffle/change the brands depending on when and where I went shopping wink.png

e.g. I have literally spent 15 minutes in Kia dealership being completely ignored. I have had Toyota sales people ringing me up at 10PM then again at 6AM in the morning, trying to seal a deal. As for Ford, I didn't even go to the dealer to buy my Wildtrak - one phone call and they came to me, twice (their pencil got blunt on the first visit), to make the deal.

Pre-sales service is just all over the place... hit and miss.

Edited by IMHO

Last time I was shopping for a car I visited Honda, Ford and Toyota dealers in Bangkok. My budget was up to a million cash.

The Honda dealership while empty of customers was the most disinterested dealer I have ever visited in my life. It was a few years ago but having cash meant nothing. No test drive possible, and maybe we will have something in six months. This was when it was a sellers market.

Toyota weren't much better but at least they were a little bit interested in selling me something even if they didn't have stock, but they couldn't even offer even floormats as a sales incentive

Ford wanted my business, 30 minute plus test drive wherever I wanted to take it. Salesman knew his cars. Coffee, biscuits, brochures quickly offered, busy dealership but happy to talk for as long as I had questions. Didn't get a lot of extras, just floor mats, tint, and a few other items. Had the car in the color I wanted within a week. Car is good, but service not so good so now we use a different dealer.

Honda and Toyota will sell lots of cars no matter what, so they can be lazy. Ford are still a minor player in the Thai market so more likely to want your business... just a shame about the service... sad.png

Some expert on an internet forum said Ford were really bad...

Chances are he was made to wait too long, the coffee or wifi sucked, or he just got an inattentive service person. I've had that almost everywhere, every brand, at one time or another.

The solution is always just go to the next dealer.

Edited by IMHO

Forget getting the service you want from a specific brand, dealer and dealership, instead just remember the person who gave you good service and stick with them. I usually make a point of identifying those with good service levels and contacting their HQ and telling them. A few receive some kind of commendation or reward for their service.

It may not be worth much financially but people who are good at their job should be recognised. The 95% that are useless deserve FA from us, I know who's gonna get commission and who's not.

One example was the crap service at most stands at the last motor expo. I knew the answers to all my questions, but ask five Ford reps and you'll get five different answers. This went on at most stands I went to.

Not entirely true....Cash payment can have further discount from the listed price. Was quoted much lesser price for Nissan March, 2months back.

I think it's harder to get cash discounts on desirable cars

I got a 90,000 baht discount on a Ford Fiesta Titanium, but maybe that's not up to your standards either.

Fiestas are great cars and I would be very happy having one on my driveway if I didn't already have another fine Ford.

Since when was the Fiesta a pick up ? Wife has one as far as I can see it's a car.

Which you never get tired of bragging about. It's a pickup for crying out loud, not a Bugatti.

Just from my recent buying experience Mazda are very willing to do deals, even on the brand new CX3. On the Mazda 3 SP it should be possible to get around 30-50k off inc 1 years free insurance plus Speed dark grey wheels That's a great deal and what I would have gone for if the wife hadnt sulked.

Edited by Cook my sock

Just from my recent buying experience Mazda are very willing to do deals, even on the brand new CX3. On the Mazda 3 SP it should be possible to get around 30-50k off inc 1 years free insurance plus Speed dark grey wheels That's a great deal and what I would have gone for if the wife hadnt sulked.

Fair enough if she's paying for it.

less than received from Toyota? which is already worse?blink.png
nearly a month to keep the car when to paint the bumpers and fixed the gapscheesy.gif

if you have that kind of money, you can always pay a good garage to mod your car for better performance? The x-trail is pretty nice and a few more hp/torque would make it fun.

Would think if you did that you'd void any warranty.

ahhhh

Subaru service ( not in Thai)

they changed my engine after it burned down than I get 280 horses.sad.png

Fair enough if she's paying for it.
Strictly speaking she is. I put the money I her account [emoji12]

I paid cash for my Car (BMW) which had an estimated lead time of 6 months.

When I decided on the Car and Colour choice - they asked when I wanted it, I said, Now, for Cash - I'll take that one !!

This was Thursday, I picked up the Car on the following Tuesday... I suspect someones finance had failed to go through and I got lucky. I was driving one of the first of that model on the road.

So.. OP - There may be opportunity on the HRV to secure one if someones Finance fails to go through.

You may also see a couple of 2nd hand ones that are less than a year old - Still under warranty which may be a good option to jump the queue.

The same for the CRV.

It may be different with Honda - Don't tell them you are paying cash until the end !

May I ask what model did u get?

No point buying a nearly new car. Hardly any depreciation.

As the prices went up just a few weeks ago, Honda are more flexible right now, at least until the motor show in March. The dealer I went to get one of each colour in each delivery- the colour I wanted is available in two months. They offered a small discount or Honda 1st class insurance. The latter is probably the best choice as they repair onsite. She was prepared to negotiate and throw in more optional extras so I'm hoping for a call back before I call her.

Mazda offered me 30,000 AND 1st class insurance plus a couple of extras (Mazda 3SP). I thought that wasn't bad, it adds up to about 60k

For s/h cars I was tempted by the latest Beetle; it looks like the grey market is flooded with them atm ..VW aren't a premium badge in Thailand and of course the brand took a knock recently.

I was offered a great deal on a well specced 1.4L, 3 years old, 1.3M but I don't think we can stretch to it.

Depending on models, there are great discounts on European cars - 1, 2 years old. Eg. Volvo or BMW.

Wonder if the Topic should road List price who sticky are they?

maybe should read, List price who greedy are they?

really depends on the dealership and how much of his/her profit they will give you..

for me it is make my mind up time today or tomorrow..... New Mazda BT50 Hi-Racer+ or same price Ford Ranger XLT Hi-Rider... managed to get 80,000 baht off the Mazda list price and 70,000 baht off the Ranger list price... both with the old price as of 30 Dec, both can have delivery date for next Monday 8th Feb.. both will have the normal added extra's, 1st class Insurance, Mats, Window Film etc.

The Ford is nicer inside...... my present BT50 has been a joy to drive and trouble free 400,000 km..

If you have a part exchange, again you need to chop/shop about. present late 2011 BT50 Hi-Racer+ with just about 400,000km Mazda offered 270.000 baht, and Ford offered 260,000 baht, already sold at a tent for 310,000 baht.