Canadians in Thailand that work the Albert oil patch

WilliamCave

Wondering how many Canadians living here work in the Alberta oil industry?

I know of a few haven't worked for some time .

I was called to go back for a 4 month shut down so I am going to take it .

I would normally refuse it at this time of year but I think this might be the only job I will get all year

And what news are you hearing from others living here but commuting back bad forth for shit downs ?

Do not know anyone here in Thailand working the fields back home.But my family that has companies working in the fields are still working just not as much. Their water trucks are still hauling water to the rigs,just not as many trucks are needed some drivers are laid off. The pilot service for moving rigs on the highway is doing ok,rigs are still being taken down and moved. Radiology is suffering the most,lots of their workers are working way less hours., Enjoy your work well you have it.

Latest news indicates a total of approximately 30,000 jobs lost in the year's shutdowns and slowdowns. The lower the price of oil goes, the more jobs will be lost, and our prince of selfies isn't helping much, wanting to impose a newer version of his father's energy policy.

Some say the lower gas prices save them big bucks filling up their vehicles, which compensates for the incredible inflationary effect on fresh foods and groceries. Not much help to me, as I don't drive bah.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I let the Albetra patch 8 years ago for work offshore here. Every guy I used to rig with is off now. Last I looked company's yards were so full with stacked iron they were looking to lease land in some cases. Hope it picks up cause if I get one more " hey man do you think you can hook me up with a job email. I might swan dive off the heli deck. But to the OP. Take any work you can get, no one has a clue on when this crap will end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everyone I know back home is sitting and waiting for the phone to ring. Glad I made the jump to come here a couple years ago as I've been able to hold on a little longer. See what happens in the coming months with P&A work.

Albertan thats been in living in Thailand 20+ years

I work world wide, so am not to afflicted with the Alberta boom and bust (thank god)

So far I've been dancing through the raindrops, finished and 2 year job onland in Aus, stepped over to a 2 year job offshore in Aus, and then back to a current 8 month job in Victoria Aus.

There is pipeline work coming up is Aus on a very drip/drip basis,

Next one is Tenant Ck to Mt Isa, 600km of 14"

I was offered a job in Grand Prarie in Jan, or Aus in Jan.

I'll take Oz thank you -30 below in Grand Prarie __ck that

Archived