Light weight bike or scooter

Boatman37210

Looking for a scooter that is light weight and not so quick off the line. I am located out in the country and just want something that is easy to maneuver on the back roads. Probably would consider something under 110cc if they made it.

Something along the lines of a moped or maybe a little bigger? Relative use to own 2 and they were fun to use for sight seeing. Slow speeds were easy to maintain allowing you to enjoy the sights.

Thanks

Honda wave 110 cc. Off road stay away from scooter designs and anything that is automatic or ride like a scooter.Honda wave way safer for down hill on the country roads because it is standard transmission. More stable to ride than scooter style bikes.Can get in 100 cc also.Can go as slow as you like.Bigger wheels than most scooters.Easy to pick up if it falls down. Best bike for your buck all round.

Edited by lovelomsak

Instead of focusing on the size of the bike, why don't you focus on skills? A Harley or other big bike is extremely maneuverable if you know how to ride it.

To me, asking for a very light weight bike which actually isn't all that stable is an indication you may plan to muscle it around and that's the opposite of what you want to do.

Cheers.

PS I'm not suggesting a bike this big, but the heavier the bike, the more stable it is.

Cheers.

Edited by NeverSure

^^^^^^

Turned any Harleys around on a 4 ft wide raised levee between two paddyfields recently? rolleyes.gif

I'm not suggesting a Harley. I'm suggesting that a really small bike isn't very stable as bumps will push it around too much. I'm also concerned that the OP thinks we need a small bike to be maneuverable which is often an indication that skills are lacking to make a bigger bike dance.

In the video, the rider is making the bike do all of the work and pull him around rather than him pushing it around. Note that when he reaches the starting gate and waits for the start signal, he doesn't even put a foot down as he sits there stopped, waiting to start. There are methods for everything he's doing. He couldn't do all of that to that 700+ pound bike via muscle. It's all technique.

Cheers.

^^^^^^

Turned any Harleys around on a 4 ft wide raised levee between two paddyfields recently? rolleyes.gif

I'm not suggesting a Harley. I'm suggesting that a really small bike isn't very stable as bumps will push it around too much. I'm also concerned that the OP thinks we need a small bike to be maneuverable which is often an indication that skills are lacking to make a bigger bike dance.

In the video, the rider is making the bike do all of the work and pull him around rather than him pushing it around. Note that when he reaches the starting gate and waits for the start signal, he doesn't even put a foot down as he sits there stopped, waiting to start. There are methods for everything he's doing. He couldn't do all of that to that 700+ pound bike via muscle. It's all technique.

Cheers.

Ya Right the op is going to buy a bike in Thailand take a high level course in driving and handling give me a break. He is looking for a small bike to go sight seeing. you can tell by the post it could have even been written by a woman.. Some one who knows nothing and is seeking real advice not have some one talking way over their heads to make themsleves feel good about what they know. I usually like your posts but this one was way off in my opinion and of no help to the op.

^^^^^^

Cheers.

Ya Right the op is going to buy a bike in Thailand take a high level course in driving and handling give me a break. He is looking for a small bike to go sight seeing. you can tell by the post it could have even been written by a woman.. Some one who knows nothing and is seeking real advice not have some one talking way over their heads to make themsleves feel good about what they know. I usually like your posts but this one was way off in my opinion and of no help to the op.

Several times I've come to this forum and suggested that people learn skills such as countersteering and making sharp turns at high or low speed easy etc. and every time I've been rebuffed.

Considering how dangerous Thailand is for a scooter, imagine what that video rider could do for accident avoidance. Many people would hit the brakes and crash right into something that suddenly pulled out in front of him, but I'm betting the rider in the vid would go around it.

I give up.

Cheers.

Honda Wave every time, bottom of the range with drum brakes which won't lock up in the wet and will stop in the dry unless you think you are Barry Sheen, they are just a doddle to ride. Riding skills are important, but sensible riding and keeping your wits around you are the imperative to stay safe. 8 years without a single incident....so far. I always expect the worst.....

"There are old bikers and there are bold bikers, but there are no old bold bikers"........

Definitely the Honda Wave with electric start.

An idea maybe to buy a cheap but good condition second hand (12,000 Kms ??) try for 6 months easy to sell if you want something different later.

I like the idea of buying second hand. If you know of an individual who might have Wave for sale or can recommend a shop who sells second hand, please let me know. I live about an hour and a half west of Bangkok, but come into Bangkok fairly often. One for sale in the Bangkok area would be fine.

There are second hand shops around where I live, but do not know anything about them. My wife's cousin bought one from a shop and had nothing but trouble with it. Don't know what it was she bought. Gave up and bought a new one. Thinking maybe buying from an individual would be better than from a shop, but then I would think there are some shops that are actually concerned about their reputation. Will ask around.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Even the pointers on developing riding skills. At first when the riding skills was mentioned I was a little put off, but then it got me to thinking about how I need to improve my skills.

I would not recommend a second-hand bike in Thailand.

For a start, Honda give you a free 30,000 km or 3 year guarantee.

In addition, second hand bikes are very expensive in Thailand.

This means bikes bought from new retain their value well.

Finally, there are many second-hand bikes out there with major problems. Do you know how to spot these?

A new Honda Wave 110i is just 35,000 baht, why would you bother buying a pig in a poke? We have had ours for over 5 years, completely trouble free, apart from when I stupidly allowed them to fit a shit spark plug. Changed it for an NGK, job done.

We leave the bike for months on end and it always starts first prod, as reliable as we were once told a Volkswagen was..

I would not recommend a second-hand bike in Thailand.

For a start, Honda give you a free 30,000 km or 3 year guarantee.

In addition, second hand bikes are very expensive in Thailand.

This means bikes bought from new retain their value well.

Finally, there are many second-hand bikes out there with major problems. Do you know how to spot these?

"This means bikes bought from new retain their value well". Definitely not Yamaha Finos, also very heavy on fuel.

If that does not matter to you, then buy one as they are very reliable.

Bikes for sale secondhand at a dealership are highly priced thus appearing to retain value. However if you ever find the need to sell your bike back to a dealer you will discover the true story. It's just greed, they will sell the bike on with about a 100% mark up on the price they paid you. They can do this because they offer their own brand of finance (that's another greedy story). Motor cars tell the same story.

Buy a new bike from a dealer or secondhand privately if you can find one. It's a good idea to rent a bike for a few days to decide if it's the one for you. Personally I would not disregard the Honda Zoomer X as a runabout. It's a light and well balanced scooter, easy to ride and maintain, also quickly mastered.

Bikes for sale secondhand at a dealership are highly priced thus appearing to retain value. However if you ever find the need to sell your bike back to a dealer you will discover the true story. It's just greed, they will sell the bike on with about a 100% mark up on the price they paid you. They can do this because they offer their own brand of finance (that's another greedy story). Motor cars tell the same story.

Buy a new bike from a dealer or secondhand privately if you can find one. It's a good idea to rent a bike for a few days to decide if it's the one for you. Personally I would not disregard the Honda Zoomer X as a runabout. It's a light and well balanced scooter, easy to ride and maintain, also quickly mastered.

The Zoomer was what I had in mind, but thought I would post to get other ideas. Just about everyone suggested the Wave, so decided to take a look. I live out in the country, but the land is flat and most roads are paved. At least the ones I will most likely be using. I would think an automatic would be okay for that kind of riding.

Weight wise I believe the Zoomer weighs a little more than the Wave, but the Zoomer looks smaller. I was expecting the Wave to be heavier. Difference I think is only around 5 lbs. I've not ridden either, but sat on a Zoomer earlier and a Wave today. The Zoomer seems like it would be more nimble than the wave assuming it is smaller dimension wise. It looks smaller and lower to the ground. Zoomer is about 10,000 baht more.

Will take a looks at the Zoomer again.

Thanks.

I, too, am looking for a new scooter that is low to the ground. I am 5'8" and most comfortable when I can place both feet flat on the ground when at a standstill. The Honda Scoopy is the perfect size but I don't like the looks. Any other models that offer the same comfort?

Price I am being quoted for front disc electric start is 41,500. Where for 35?

Honda Wave 110i has a drum brake model with no electric start for about 35K.

attachicon.gifhonda-wave-110i-1.jpg

Thanks. I want electric start, but at least now I understand why the price difference. Dealer I looked at probably had 50 Waves, but all were electric start with front disc brake. Two had alloy wheels and the rest wire spoke.

I, too, am looking for a new scooter that is low to the ground. I am 5'8" and most comfortable when I can place both feet flat on the ground when at a standstill. The Honda Scoopy is the perfect size but I don't like the looks. Any other models that offer the same comfort?

I'm 5'6" and I can put feet flat on ground with both the Wave and Zoomer.

I have seen a couple of comments saying even a semi automatic was too much distraction for beginners especially in Thailand. For that reason I do like a full automatic. But then I like the idea of being able to chose what gear I use from a standstill. Using 2nd or maybe even 3rd would give you a slower start. Some automatics can be a little too zippy which makes them easier to get away from some. Since I would be riding very little in traffic, shifting may not be that big of a distraction. Maybe put it in 3rd and just leave it there for the most part. Never having ridden a Wave I am just guessing about gears.

Thanks. I want electric start, but at least now I understand why the price difference. Dealer I looked at probably had 50 Waves, but all were electric start with front disc brake. Two had alloy wheels and the rest wire spoke.

Deluxe model with black alloy wheels costs ~2600baht more,

but worth it for air-pressure retention.

& corrosion resistance.

& cosmesis.

Recommend.

Attractive feature if you want to sell later.

however,

Waves are popular targets for thieves, so one with nice wheels,

maybe increased risk.?

I'm 5'6" and I can put feet flat on ground with both the Wave and Zoomer.

I have seen a couple of comments saying even a semi automatic was too much distraction for beginners especially in Thailand. For that reason I do like a full automatic. But then I like the idea of being able to chose what gear I use from a standstill. Using 2nd or maybe even 3rd would give you a slower start. Some automatics can be a little too zippy which makes them easier to get away from some. Since I would be riding very little in traffic, shifting may not be that big of a distraction. Maybe put it in 3rd and just leave it there for the most part. Never having ridden a Wave I am just guessing about gears.

I dont like the semi automatic, its ok when you drive alone. But with a passenger I cannot sit so far back on the seat that I prefer. Especially awkward when you shift gear down and have to use your heel.

The Wave is more of a "tread start" , no real kicking going on there, a child of 7 could start it (seen it done), so no need for electric IMO. Drum brakes are just perfect for normal riding and the 35k gives you spoke wheels too, which make the ride 2-3% more comfortable. Fat tyres add another 10% to comfort, but you will have to wait 3 years.

The new ones do look a bit dull though in the graphic's dept, so you will need a local sticker shop.

One word of warning though, if you do buy one we probably won't ever hear from you again, unless you want to post.."Got up.. the bike started first time, went to work, finished work the bike started first time, rode home..." Or could could tell us about your oil change..or in 3 years when you need a new tyre....What tyre should I buy?

Sorry about that...

Edited by AllanB

I certainly do like the price on the base Wave. Is the 35,000 model available through all dealers or is there a specific dealer I need to see? I'm located about 90 minutes east of Bangkok.

That model is available in every district and sub-district of Thailand.

If you go for the Dream 110, then I think the only options are kick start or kick start and electric start. Oh and colour of course.

If you go for the Wave 125, then there are more choices, as above plus mag wheels or spoke wheels. I think all new Waves are now front disc brake.

I believe the Wave 110 has been discontinued but it may be a temporary break and models may still be in the showroom from the last production run.

Edited by Briggsy