Car shopping today

Went to look at an HRV and a Mazda 3 SP with the wife

The HRV I test drove at Daokanong was a modulo model and was surprisingly smart inside. Good quality materials, v cool dashboard and well put together. It had the pano roof which I really liked altho I had to set the seat at its lowest point to get 2-3 inches of head room. Front space overall just about enough for my 6'2 frame to be comfortable. Rear space was limo like, acres of leg room. Boot was v impressive. The ride was good but I didn't get a chance to really put my foot down.

I'm considering an EL model in dark metallic grey. The 2016 model now has an electric drivers seat (non memory)but parking sensors are optional(?) acc to the sales lady the price went up last year before the Jan tax thing. So it's now 1.1m for EL spec

She gave me a choice of discount, 17,000 baht or free 1st class insurance worth 19000 or various optional extras inc parking sensors. In the end she threw in some of these extras with the first two choices, when she saw I wasn't that impressed with her discount. But she was confident I would be back after seeing the Mazda3 !

So next it was down to a Mazda showroom to check out a Mazda 3 SP. I didn't book a test drive so it was showroom only. The 2016 SP sadly loses the cream leather seats, only black now. It gains stop start. The sales lady claimed the price increase was just 5k - now 1.1m exactly the same as HRV EL.

Impressions.. Lots of room for front passengers, more so than the HRV. quite a low driving position but a much wider cabin with plenty of shoulder space which I really liked. The driving position was very sporty with nice pedal layout and chunky wheel in the right place.

Quality of cabin materials was haphazard, inconsistent. Also the seats were not very well made IMO. Bumpy and creased in places. I liked the minimalist look with the info screen and toggle control but now I'm not sure if it was even the SP I sat in -the dash had 3 dial heater controls rather than the more modern touch ones I've seen online. Can anyone verify this?

Rear space was not so good in the leg department, Boot space also was not great, quite a shallow boot. No rear parking sensors even as options, but a camera and side warning. Shame I couldn't test drive one.

When she saw my interest waning the Sales lady offered 30,000 baht discount and 1st class together, not too bad.

Edited by Cook my sock

Sounds like you look in great detail when shopping for a car.

If you are going to do more shopping and happen to look at the Nissan x-trail I would appreciate it if you posted here what you think of it also. I would be interested in your take on it.

Btw one potential issue with the HRV is long term/ long journey seat comfort for tall drivers. Reading this thread http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/289-honda-hr-v-general-discussion/12210-any-issues-seat-comfort.html#/forumsite/21046/topics/12210?page=3

I did notice the seats were on the small side and altho comfortable on my test drive I was concerned enough to read up online

Edited by Cook my sock

Mazda 3 SP comes with those dials not digital.

I might be wrong here so please correct me if I am, but the Japanese Mazda 3 (Axela) does have a different interior layout.

I think the Axela does come with digital dials instead of the old-style ones....

Joe I think you are right. The model I saw had the dials. Bit of a shame really. I questioned a sales guy today - he hadnt seen the 2016 model yet, which may have some interior updates apart from black trim(but he thinks not)

What is big news is I got the release date for the CX5 update and approx prices

Edited by Cook my sock

Joe I think you are right. The model I saw had the dials. Bit of a shame really. I questioned a sales guy today - he hadnt seen the 2016 model yet, which may have some interior updates apart from black trim(but he thinks not)

What is big news is I got the release date for the CX5 update and approx prices

could you share the approx release date and price for CX5? I am considering getting a new or (one or two years old max) second-hand. Upcoming minor change for Mazda 3 and CX 5 are on my list of new cars (also including x trail). tks

Upcoming minor change for Mazda 3 and CX 5 are on my list of new cars (also including x trail). tks

24th Feb release date for Mazda CX-5 refresh. 100k rise over current models -so it's kind of making the xtrail look like a bargain. But it's still the best in it's class IMO

The 2015 CX-5 2.5L was well priced at 1.4M but apparently Mazda are going to drop this version. It would be a shame if they cut the 2.5L because it had good power and poise.

The diesel has always been a bit pricey at 1.67M. +100k will only help the X-Trail.

Edited by Jitar

Ah that's interesting. The sales guy couldn't speak good English and seemed abit vague about model range/price.

I was wondering why he mentioned the diesel and not the 2.5l version. Strange thing is he mentioned a price around 1.6M. Not sure what that price is for...

Presumably around 1.6M would be the new 2.5L CX-5. A Thai friend told me they read about the 2.5L version being dropped. I hope it's wrong. Hopefully all will be revealed Feb 24.

I've heard the same - no more 2.5L gasoline variant in the minor change.

Presumably around 1.6M would be the new 2.5L CX-5. A Thai friend told me they read about the 2.5L version being dropped. I hope it's wrong. Hopefully all will be revealed Feb 24.

sad.png

Wonder what Mazda will sell for 1.6M?

Nissan Xtrail. They only had a V spec non hybrid at Cha am. Inside it feels not that much bigger in the front than the HRV, just a bit more width and headroom but the dash was quite close to my knee. First thing I noticed was the rubber floor mat sticks up and gets in the way of your right foot. Kind of annoying. Decent leather electric front seats but overall it felt and looked very plasticky inside. Well priced but you can see why - the smaller HRV and CX3 are much more premium inside. You'd really need to want a hybrid for city driving to justify buying one IMO

Edited by Cook my sock

sad.png

Wonder what Mazda will sell for 1.6M?

for the MMC cx-5 there will be 2.0 benzine and a 2.2 diesel version

see the link below

http://community.headlightmag.com/index.php?topic=48520.0

edit...this looks like a story from japan...I guess we don't know the final versions available for Thailand yet.

Edited by DavisH

Nissan Xtrail. They only had a V spec non hybrid at Cha am. Inside it feels not that much bigger in the front than the HRV, just a bit more width and headroom but the dash was quite close to my knee. First thing I noticed was the rubber floor mat sticks up and gets in the way of your right foot. Kind of annoying. Decent leather electric front seats but overall it felt and looked very plasticky inside. Well priced but you can see why - the smaller HRV and CX3 are much more premium inside. You'd really need to want a hybrid for city driving to justify buying one IMO

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1453970844.502486.jpg

I have test driven the X-Trail and my friend has an HRV that I've driven upcountry and back. They are really two different class of cars so not really fair to compare them. The HRV is very well spec'ed for the price and will probably have good resale being a Honda, if that's important to a buyer. However, it is pretty cozy inside and there is very little interior storage space. The X-Trail is more premium to me and much more comfortable. It's tech package is also more advanced than the HRV. Of course, it's also available in four-wheel drive, which isn't an option on the HRV, if that is important. I also prefer the Nissan's more analag dash controls to the HRV's touchscreen interface.

Both are good for what they are and the prices.

Agree very different vehicles. If I were going for a non hybrid 7 seat it would have to be the Everest, altho the xtrail is more compact and in a niche of its own

The Mazda sales guy keeps calling me.. tempted to wait for the update cx5 price as I love that car. No idea how the diesel compares to the 2.5 petrol tho. Anyone?

Edited by Cook my sock

Putting a deposit down on a black HRV tomorrow if poss. What extras are worth haggling for? probably going to get that ceramic window film seperately

Please keep on posting about your coming new HR-V.

I'm planning to buy an HR-V 2016 (the top model) in Ubon for my TGF as soon as we get our new house there finished.

Need a place to park it ! We're living in Pattaya now.

TGF has already scouted the two Honda dealers in Ubon and didn't seem much impressed with whatever "promotions" are available (none !).

Next week she'll go scouting in a couple of other towns in the region and see if she can find a more "generous" Honda dealer.

BTW She wants to add all the "skirts/protectors" you mention. 10k she says.

Also she wants white color and that's another 10k.

The sales lady I spoke to wasn't there today. The wife's gone into a sulk now lol.

I'll PM you with details when I go to the dealer in the week

looking at ambient lights, floor mats and cargo mats or trays and maybe the front protector thingy. Side skirts possibly. Might be a bit ott for me

Edited by Cook my sock

Putting a deposit down on a black HRV tomorrow if poss. What extras are worth haggling for? probably going to get that ceramic window film seperately

Please keep on posting about your coming new HR-V.

I'm planning to buy an HR-V 2016 (the top model) in Ubon for my TGF as soon as we get our new house there finished.

Need a place to park it ! We're living in Pattaya now.

TGF has already scouted the two Honda dealers in Ubon and didn't seem much impressed with whatever "promotions" are available (none !).

Next week she'll go scouting in a couple of other towns in the region and see if she can find a more "generous" Honda dealer.

BTW She wants to add all the "skirts/protectors" you mention. 10k she says.

Also she wants white color and that's another 10k.

In phuket you don't even need to ask for those protectors.

When you guys get your HRV(better choice) just use e85 right away, makes it completely different. No sluggishness and now after 1200km of e85 im actually saving money even at an average of 27kph compared to gasohol 91 with which i tried to accelerate less fast.

Btw one potential issue with the HRV is long term/ long journey seat comfort for tall drivers. Reading this thread http://www.hrvforum.com/forum/289-honda-hr-v-general-discussion/12210-any-issues-seat-comfort.html#/forumsite/21046/topics/12210?page=3

I did notice the seats were on the small side and altho comfortable on my test drive I was concerned enough to read up online

I've read that the subaru xv is better for long journeys. Some don't like the apparently sluggish engine/gearbox, but if you like 4wd it might be worth a look. Top model is about 1.2M. It's been updated since last year.

So it a big difference between 85 and 95? Good to know. We are currently using 95 in our City

I posted my experience in the HRV thread.

First time i tried e85, i had bad consumption because it was too much fun to drive compared to 91, i would simply put it in sports mode most of the time.

Now im using it with econ mode(which feels a lot better than reg mode) and getting good economy and much much better performance. From what i read its 10%+ gain in HP/torque, it makes a big difference on those weaker engines we get here. im still getting 9.6km/l with 27kph avg speed, AC cranked up and decently aggressive driving.

On trips where traffic is low and i avg 32-35kph ish i get about 12.5-13km/l not holding back much which is 1-2km/l under what id get with 91 holding back. Have not tried it on the highway but aceof pop says he gets 16ish i think. That's pretty good for a 18b/l gas.

Edited by bearpolar