Amazing Advice From True Internet Sales Representative

bubba

I had an interesting call with a True Internet representative yesterday. I was considering a subscription with them since I had been having constant disconnects over the past two weeks with csloxinfo so I was considering a switch.

After getting price details, the agent told me that since I was a foreigner and would be browsing many international sites (oh, so Thai nationals don't do that?), I should NOT subscribe to True. That's right, she advised against subscribing with them! She went on to explain that their international connections were overloaded and extremely slow and they had many, many complaints from foreigners. She also advised me to have a look at the adslthailand.com English language forum, which is apparently full of "True Sucks" comments.

I guess I minded her advice!

I have a True telephone line, no other providers will offer ADSL on it, at least not in my area.

I can't get TOT line either.

That lady wasn't totally honest - the whole IT infrastructure sucks.

The best way, like with everything else in Thailand, is to learn to be happy with what you have and don't demand too much. "Too much" in their view, not yours.

True from True, but as James and others say, any provider here is trapped in the international link quagmire, which looks like it will not improve in the foreseeable future.

Though, other posters have commented that commercial installations are more performant than mere 'domestics'. If that is the case then Thailand has managed to create a two 'speed' internet. Does that count as another first for here, I wonder.

Regards

/edit attrib//

Edited by A_Traveller

I use true and they are pretty poor - but hey whats the alternative??

I don't know but my TOT seems pretty fine.

Yeah, it's slower than a DSL line in the USA or in Europe, but I get about 50 - 60KB/second on downloads from international sites, 100KB at night. Keep in mind that 100KB equals 1Mbit per second, which is the advertised rate I am paying for (Gold Cyber package for 1000/month).

I am getting about 50% of the advertised rate and sometimes more. I can't complain too much.

It does go out sometimes, but with the frequent power cuts here they are really doing OK. I mean the power goes out way more often than the internet (I use a generator for those situations). If you consider the infrastructure in this country, it'a a miracle that they are up as much as they are.

There is also the issue of added lag time - getting 300 - 400 ms ping times to most servers from Thailand, as opposed to 30 - 50 in the USA.

But do I get a wonderful green curry for one dollar in the USA? No. :o

Edited by nikster

I am getting about 50% of the advertised rate and sometimes more. I can't complain too much.

I think this statement really highlights the sad state of affairs.

ISP's passing the buck to the international bottleneck is a weak argument. It is insane they aren't allocating a larger chunk of bandwidth from CAT so they can offer better speeds to their customers. But instead they skimp on this. Yes, CAT pricing surely deserves some of the blame, but the ISP's for some time now have been in a mode of delivering less bandwidth per customer and on top of that dreaming up ever newer speed bumps to keep them from using what little there is.

....It is insane they aren't allocating a larger chunk of bandwidth from CAT so they can offer better speeds to their customers......

Obviously they don't want to pay for the extra bandwidth.

After all why would someone want to look at a website outside Thailand :o

I use true and they are pretty poor - but hey whats the alternative??

A corporate account. You get what you pay for.

Well, I would expect that without a corporate account, I get what I pay for also...

You probably do, if you read the small print..........

I expect it talks about "best efforts", "line sharing", "speed not guaranteed"................ :o