What's your favorite free software?

NeverSure

Mine. I'm hoping to improve this list from suggestions for alternatives.

Cobian Backup. Has a scheduler and uses the Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) and can defeat the Windows File Protection System ("Can't copy/move/etc. file because it's in use..."). Runs every night. Never fills the HDD because I tell it how many backups to keep.

Macrium Reflect disc imaging software. Has a scheduler and makes image of my HDD including all partitions every night. Stores it on a hidden, wireless, external HDD. Never fills the HDD because I tell it how many backups to keep.

Convert.exe. Converts almost anything to anything such as feet to cm, miles to kms, kg to American pounds, etc.

CCleaner. No introduction needed.

AVG

Irfanview picture viewer (and manipulator lite). Crops, resizes, color adjusts, etc. A far cry from Photoshop but still handy.

VLC Media Player.

YTD Video Downloader. Yes it gets YouTube.

BitTorrent torrent downloader

MiniTool Partition Wizard. Create, shrink, enlarge and generally manage partitions on a HDD. Can often do something that Windows Disk Management can't do by requiring a restart and then doing the work outside of Windows.

Should I Remove It? Good for new computers with factory installed bloatware. ID's what's there and gives a link to a web page to describe it. Rates each for removal.

LastPass - password manager. "The last password you'll ever have to remember". Stores all of my passwords in encrypted form in the cloud so I can access from any computer that has the proggy installed. Can configure to auto login or to require master password re-prompt. Has never failed me.

Cheers.

wow, we only have 1 software in common !

mine are:

vlc media player

comodo firewall

avast

paint.net

video downloadhelper

freemake audio converter

freemake video converter

utorrent

textpad

agent ransack

treesize free

bullzip pdf printer

daemon tools lite

imgburn

7zip

nmap

and of course my professional tools:

filezilla ftp client

putty ssh client

debian, apache 2, mysql, php, postfix, courier, etc.

drupal

and I forgot firefox !!

although I also have all other major browsers installed to test compatibility: IE (edge), Chrome and Opera.

Because I use Linux ALL my software is (legally) free

However the below short list supports Linix and Windows

Libre Office - MS Office replacement

Qbittorrent - A nice alternative to uTorrent

Calibre - an eBook manqger

Thunderbird - email manager

Keepass - password manager. That does not keep your database on line so is guranteed hacker proof

Irfan View - simple photo editor (neefs Wine when usrd with Linux)

Why buy Utility programs which never work properly, I have been using "Glary Utilities" for 2 years now,5.42, and it handles my tune ups pretty good !

A word of warning don't be tempted to buy the Pro Version,it does no more than the Free Version !

Have all the above...and there are so many alternatives as well.

However...the one free software that has changed the way I use the computer is "Launchy". Quite simple, but loads my other software by just typing the first few letters of the executive file. You have to set it up. I put all my shortcuts in one folder...and it just searches that folder. Now I don't have to hunt for the icon...or move the mouse all over. Also don't have to use the useless windows start menu. I hit alt tab...and type fi for firefox. etc. Can set it up to select any type of file...or just exe files.... could be for music mp3...etc.

Another Invaluable asset is "Search Everything". I can find virtually any file on my hard drive quickly.

Both are free...and should be mandatory. Otherwise...your computer is like a car, but you cannot find the keys.

Almost forgot...Keepass.....and Dropbox......... keeping track/access to passwords and sharing files with other devices

Just a couple more to add to your lists, all freeware:

Unlocker
Helps free the following ERROR messages while deleting or moving a system file in windows:
Cannot delete file: Access is denied
There has been a sharing violation.
The source or destination file may be in use.
The file is in use by another program or user.
Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
Metapad (I make a lot of notes, i use a text editor for this rather than opening word or the like)
Metapad is a small, fast and completely free text editor for Windows with similar features to Microsoft Notepad but with many extra (and rather useful) features. It was designed to completely replace Notepad since it includes all of Notepad's features and much, much more.
Features:
Persistent window placement
Dirty file notification
Intelligent Find and Replace
External viewer support (e.g. web browser)
Usable accelerator keys (Ctrl+S, Ctrl+N, etc.)
Dual customizable font support
Optional Quick Exit (Esc key)
Configurable tab stop setting
Auto-indent mode
Go to Line/Column
Seamless UNIX text file support
Block indent and unindent (Tab, Shift+Tab)
Recent files list
No file size limit! (under Win9x)
Hyperlink support
Portability mode (INI mode)
Over 30 customized UI language plugins
USB Disk Security
USB Disk Security provides protection against any malicious programs trying to attack via USB drive. It delivers high level of protection against theft and accidental disclosure of confidential data, and prevents unauthorized persons from stealing your data. USB Disk Security is the best security software to protect offline computer without the need for signature updates. This light and easy to use solution is compatible with other antivirus software and doesn't slow down your computer at all.

Notepad is still indispensable for me. I have it pinned to Startup. It will strip all formatting including line breaks, but not paragraph breaks.

When I want to copy/paste something from a web page or Word into a forum or even Word, I first paste it into Notepad and then copy/paste it where I want it. Then the forum or Word software uses its default formatting and it looks like I typed it fresh. I use it quite a bit still.

Notepad is still indispensable for me. I have it pinned to Startup. It will strip all formatting including line breaks, but not paragraph breaks.

When I want to copy/paste something from a web page or Word into a forum or even Word, I first paste it into Notepad and then copy/paste it where I want it. Then the forum or Word software uses its default formatting and it looks like I typed it fresh. I use it quite a bit still.

Try Metapad.

It also keeps URL links intact when pasted into the text editor..................................wink.png

Try Metapad.

It also keeps URL links intact when pasted into the text editor..................................wink.png

GetDiz portable is also a good choice...full of options, retains hyperlinks (can launch links)

Drag and drop is a fantastic feature. Can write your deal, then drag and drop to another app or this forum. Just turn on those features in the Menu. Will also stay on top while you do this.

is there a free program that will install any USB webcam ?

also a program to turn your webcams into a motion detector security cameras ?

Thanks

TinCam is free and can be used as a motion detector. Will sound alarms and email/save pics/videos on alert.

Can choose which cam you want to use

Try Metapad.

... or CTRL + spacebar in Word isn't bad for default fonts and paragraphs. I'm using Lotus Notes, Excel, Word and Notepad daily and a host of other applications. I have alternate tricks dependent on what app I'm switching between and what's most efficient in keystrokes.

Audacity........ it does all my recording, editing and mixing of online audio.

With LAME plugin to enable mp3 audio editing.

-

Avast! Free Anti-Virus is better than AVG.

Teracopy is a nice one for copying multiple files more quickly

mp3tag for editing mp3 data, including adding cover art

JDownloader 2

Keyfinder to find out the security key of your Windows, MS Office and even some games

Airdroid for transferring files between an Android device and Windows via WIFI. Great if you need to copy stuff over but you can't use a cable or Bluetooth

Panda USB Immunizer

1 - Cinema

Download zone. All films in HD and bluray bluray light

1 Fichier premium, hosting, not free but 1$ for 6 months is same

Idman - ultra fast download but i paid 24 $ for premium

KMPlayer - the best audio cinema in my opinion

Porcorn audio converter, convert DTS to AC3 for direct use on my home player

2 - Text

libreoffice, advantageously replaces MS office free

Metapad, replaces wordpad

3 - Cleaning, viruses

Avast

Ccleaner

Glary Utilities quarterly

ADW cleaner in case of problems

4 - Drivers

Driver booster - quarterly

wushowide prevents MS modify some drivers

5 - Windows 10

Do not spy, to overcome the MS tracking

Win 7 for win 10 games to keep Chess Titans

MS share points designer to maintain MS picture manager imho still unmatched

6 PDF

Sumatra PDF, better than Adobe and a lot lighter

7 Android

King root, rooter for all versions including Marshmallow

ROM on needrom.com, use with caution

I've enjoyed researching some of the free software named on this thread.

My favorite free software isn't as exciting as some posted, it's Skype.

I get to talk to and see friends and family back home for no money. It's one of my most used free programs as I use it just about everyday and it's pretty reliable.

I know you can pay Skype to call telephones but I classify it as free software because computer to computer (that includes smartphones) is for free.

I also use Crap Cleaner everyday.

@ happy Joe

Does Driver Booster use the manufacturer's drivers or are they third party drivers?

@ happy Joe

Does Driver Booster use the manufacturer's drivers or are they third party drivers?

It uses the latest manufacturer drivers. Simple and quick operation in free version.
Caution still at the facility, the editor IObit tries to impose its other programs (notably "avanced systemcare") that are in my opinion totally useless even harmful.

All my Windows installations include the follwing:

Avast

Chrome

Opera

Mozzilla

Notepad++

Audacity

VLC

4k Video downloader

Paint.net

Inkskape

Blender