Chain cleaning and lubing

MatteoBassini

Okay I'm quite new to basic maintenance so I looked up some youtube videos how to clean and lube the chain.

I've watched 5 so far and most of them were straight forward but the comments were full of arguments.

- ride first, then do the maintenance right after riding.

- apply chain cleaner, brush it with some tooth brush, then use rag throughout the chain

then what? do I let it sit for 15 minutes, or do I go for a short ride, then come back?

- apply chain lube, then use rag again?

- let it sit for 5-6 hours? how long until I can ride again?

Everyone has a different theory.

I think I saw a good vid from motorcycle garage / ari henning on YouTube the other month.

1. Take your bike for a run, let the grease warm up, and put it in neutral and get it on the rear stand.

2. I use kerosene and a toothbrush, find the link in the chain and start brushing on the top of the chain, the reasoning being the kerosene flows downwards and the crap drops to the floor.

Put a cheap tray under to collect the run-off.

Some people advise against the special brushes as they are too stiff and force grit in to the O'rings.

3. Clean the sprockets and the covers.

4. Take a rag and wipe the chain down.

5. I give mine a good spray with WD-40 then wipe down with a clean rag, so it's almost dry and I can see it's clear of grit.

6. Spin the tyre and apply the lube - I found the best for me is the motul large can of white lube - it has the least 'throw'. Apply a thin coat, you aren't filling the O'rings with grease, that's already done, your just lubing the contacts between the links.

Apply the lube on your chain facing downwards - theory being the centrifugal force will throw it out into the outside edge of the chain as you ride.

5. Yes, leave for a day/overnight/afternoon - you can see the lube changing its structure. It goes on as almost a liquid and changes to its final consistency. Some lubes need longer to obtain that thickness and not fly off all over your rims and swing arm.

Someone will jump in with don't use WD-40, don't use kerosene, etc but do your own research on the effects and see which technique works best for you.

Edited by recom273

WD-40 is good stuff for cleaning chains but just gives the purists something to rant about. There is a video somewhere of a test with the O-rings soaked in WD-40 for over a month. No damage to the ring whatsoever. In fact, some chain cleaners actually caused damage to the O-ring when soaked. Obviously, don't use WD-40 for lube!

I clean mine and lube about every 1000k, or after an off road run or rain.

Cleaning should only be done intermittently, depending on the riding conditions. It shouldn't be done every time you lubricate it.

Don't use oil. Oil just attracts grit and it sticks like the proverbial. Use a "wax" type spray on, and do it after the ride. The reason you do it after, is do it before, and it will flick off in the first 500m.

Don't over lubricate.

Don't be tempted to over tighten the chain as that is the best way to stretch it. Slightly looser than spec is better than slightly tighter than spec. Make sure you understand the static sag and adjust the chain with the suspension loaded - don't ever set it on the rear stand alone.

2. I use kerosene and a toothbrush, find the link in the chain and start brushing on the top of the chain, the reasoning being the kerosene flows downwards and the crap drops to the floor.

Where do you very kerosene in Bangkok? I looked in various stores and could not find it anywhere.

Where do you very kerosene in Bangkok? I looked in various stores and could not find it anywhere.

diesel fuel

I'm not too sure where you can get it in BKK, I'm in the south and it's hard to find here, you can find it in cheap market set-ups that sell cheap plastic housewares and brushes.

As Papa says, diesel is a good alternative but stinks.

Go to a petrol pump that has a workshop attatched ( usually shell ) and they will give you an old oil can for free when you buy enough diesel.

as a kid we'd remove our pushbike chains and soak/clean them in kerosene,

or coal oil, as granny called it.

Then melted some paraffin and dunked the chain in that.

This is one of the best methods of chain lubrication.

as a kid we'd remove our pushbike chains and soak/clean them in kerosene,

or coal oil, as granny called it.

Then melted some paraffin and dunked the chain in that.

This is one of the best methods of chain lubrication.

Paraffin wax must have been back in the day .. I vaguely remember a small coin operated machine at the exit of petrol stations with a blue elephant that used to dispense paraffin ( kerosene ? )

Nowadays, the best people to ask for availability are those guys that do those twirly-fire-stick-thing-shows on the beach .. Sign o' the times. I best there's no shortage on kerosene on Ko Phan-Ngan.

Yep, clean it in diesel, it is after all an oil product.

Clean excess with a rag, let it sit for a bit then lube from the inside of the chain. Dedicated spray lubes are good and fairly idiot proof. Wipe the chain down again with a dry cloth to remove excess lube from the outside of the chain, does nothing but attract gunk out there.