Old and New Passport

I was under the impression that if you got a new passport only extensions had to be transferred and not entry stamps. I remember reading on here somewhere that borders and airports would re stamp an entry into the new passport before also stamping an exit stamp.

I friend of mine went to ChongChom border last week. He has a tourist visa. He showed his old passport with the entry stamp.

The officer at the border made him go back to immigration to have the stamp transferred to the new passport.

Is this the correct procedure now?

It is not normal practice. There are few crossing that have a immigration office near them that send people to it to get the stamps transferred. If it is outside the offices working hours or days they will do it at the crossing.

whistling.gif In June 2015 I got a new U.S. passport.

I had my information transferred from my old passport to the new one.

If I have it correct they do not transfer entry stamps, but if you are on a current visa when you get the new passport the immigration will put a stamp in your new passport noting the date of your current visa....and make a note in Thai in your new passport referencing the information in your old passport saying that.

At least that is what it looks like in my new passport.

I had it done in CW at Bangkok.