Brits asked to avoid passport woes, ETDs (VIDEO)

webfact

VIDEO: Brits asked to avoid passport woes, ETDs
The Phuket News

BANGKOK: -- Using a passport as a beer mat, notebook or accidentally putting it in the laundry are just some of the reasons why British travellers are spending millions of pounds each year on Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) – issued when passports are lost, stolen or damaged whilst abroad, reports the British Embassy in Bangkok.

The embassy is urging Brits travelling to Thailand and the region to look after their passports whilst on holiday and save themselves the time, hassle and cost of buying an emergency travel documents.

In 2014-15, a total of 20,663 British passports were reported lost or stolen worldwide and British travellers received 37,890 ETDs: a 22-per-cent increase on the year before (Helping British Nationals Abroad 2014/15).

In 2015, lost and stolen passports in Southeast Asia accounted for 44% of all ETDs issued.

“The British Embassy in Bangkok issues the highest number of ETDs in Southeast Asia. On average that is 55 ETDs each month - nearly 700 per year. Over 70% are down to lost and stolen passports,” said the embassy in a statement.

“Stolen passports remain an issue in big cities like Bangkok, mainly due to people’s bags being stolen, distraction thefts and pick-pocketing. Here is a cartoon animation to highlight some of the reasons why ETDs are issued.

The embassy is urging people travelling to Thailand and the region to look after their passports whilst on holiday and save themselves the time, hassle and cost of buying an ETD.

“Obtaining an ETD can take several days depending on the circumstances. You may need to file a police report, get new passport photos, and of course, have to travel to the Embassy. You will also likely have to replace any visas you need for your onward journey. These expenses can spiral if you need to rearrange travel plans, so make sure you take out comprehensive travel insurance. Do consult our travel advice as well.”

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/video-brits-asked-to-avoid-passport-woes-etds-55922.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-25

i had passport stloen in bkk 4 years ago. do not lose your passport , it is such a ball ache to go through all the s**t of obtaining an ETD in uk embassy. 2 miserable long days sitting around waiting for passport prosess in uk embassy plus police station and immigration centre in north bkk.

2 days wasted off my trip.

WARNING. look after it.

Edited by dirtycash

Canadian Passport states on page 1. "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada.It must not be altered. You must take every precaution to safeguard it."

Why do I have to pay for it.......it does not belong to me... Could I be charged with impersonating the Govt.?

So I am sure the British Government owns British peoples passports also.

Canadian Passport states on page 1. "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada.It must not be altered. You must take every precaution to safeguard it."

Why do I have to pay for it.......it does not belong to me... Could I be charged with impersonating the Govt.?

So I am sure the British Government owns British peoples passports also.

I think most if not all governments retain ownership of their passports; and can cancel it anytime they wish or refuse to renew it.

No doubt they'd argue the charge of the passport is a fair reflection of the costs involved in producing it, with all the enhanced security and is a good deal when amortized over the life expectancy, given you only rent it.

Especially as they all have to deal with dopes who mistreat them, loose them, or go swimming with them.

Sounds like The Brits need baby sitters after they leave home.Beer coasters ? Dumb and stupid

I am a Brit and have never had problems with my passport but you are right many are dumb and stupid and not just here also back home in the UK

All the more reason to get good, reduced size, laminated photocopies of your passport and visa and leave your real passport in a secure safe place.

Which is fine if they didn't say that there's a law that says you have to carry it with you at all times.

biggrin.png

Passport to panic: Look after your passports, urges British embassy in Bangkok

By Coconuts Bangkok

passport_4.jpg

BANGKOK:-- The British embassy in Bangkok has urged Brits to keep a close watch on their passports when traveling to Thailand, as millions of pounds are spent each year on emergency travel documents.

British travelers reporting lost, stolen or damaged passports have come up with excuses like using their passport as a beer mat, notebook or accidentally chucking it in the laundry, the embassy said.

More than 20,000 British passports were reported lost or stolen last year, with nearly 40,000 Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) issued - a 22% increase on the year before.

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-01-25

They are talking about Poms hey? It sure looks that they are not the smartest sheep in the Paddock,, cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Oh no! I've really sunk to the depths being called stupid by an Okker.

Good to know though that no Aussies or Spams have ever lost, washed or used their pisspot as a beer mat.

Edited by jesimps

Sounds like The Brits need baby sitters after they leave home.Beer coasters ? Dumb and stupid

Bit more dignified than stealing them out of bars in Phuket. Can't remember which continent those dingbats came from........................wink.png

I mean really? Come on.

All the more reason to get good, reduced size, laminated photocopies of your passport and visa and leave your real passport in a secure safe place.

Which is fine if they didn't say that there's a law that says you have to carry it with you at all times.

biggrin.png

Makes you wonder how many passports wouldn't be lost or stolen if the tourists were officially advised on what to do reference carrying copies.

In the desert I saw a creature, naked, bestial, who, squatting upon the ground, held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.

I said, “Is it good, friend?”

“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it, because it is bitter and because it is my heart.”

This not an exclusive "Brit" problem !

However , I have no sympathy with those who "lose" a passport.

I have traveled to and worked in, many countries over the years and but have never "lost" a passport.

Sensible precautions will ensure that a passport ( a valuable document) remains safe and secure.

They are talking about Poms hey? It sure looks that they are not the smartest sheep in the Paddock,, cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

they already proved that when they voted in fascist Cameron and his crew with a majority

From a country who voted in a Welsh immigrant whose accent must be forced, followed by a former Catholic priest. And now have a plank who dreams of being "president".

Cameron is no more a fascist than Obama, Hollande, or Mutti Merkel. Owned by the banks, big business and extremely rich - for sure, just as they all are.

All British people are careless with their passports and have bad teeth.

Wow, only January and we've a strong contender for dumbest post of the year.

Well done Mr. Tom. You must be exhausted checking the teeth of 65 million people let alone devising some clever way of ascertaining that they're all careless with their passports, even those that don't have them.

Go to the top of the class.

If you live well outside it's 2 trips to Bangkok to simply renew a UK passport so they spread the pain around as it is.

That's got to be a tough one,what every 10 years? you can get someone to do the trip for you if you don't fancy a night in Soi Cowboy

It must be a British thing. I remember my housemate in the UK said "Ohh I left it in the wash" so he had to get a new one. In the 20+ years of travelling I have done have never lost my PP and always keep it safe and when on me always check I have it several times a day. Bloody hassles these things, you would think in this day and age we just get a retina/fingerprint at the airport and that's it.

biggrin.png

Makes you wonder how many passports wouldn't be lost or stolen if the tourists were officially advised on what to do reference carrying copies.

Who knows, keep hearing contradicting stories that the police require you to carry original or a copy will do! I do know the police in my area are on a self funding drive and asking for a missing passport could well be another reason to fine a foreigner!

Personally I have never lost a passport and also have reasonable teeth.

That said, a friend was off to get a replacement recently due to a volatile TGF flushing his.

Ever since the overstay ban started going - I'm sure many Brits that were on long overstays reported their passports lost/stolen/damaged may have bumped up those numbers.

Amuses me the number of people that believe that issues with Immigration can be sorted out by simply getting a new passport.

Ever since the overstay ban started going - I'm sure many Brits that were on long overstays reported their passports lost/stolen/damaged may have bumped up those numbers.

Amuses me the number of people that believe that issues with Immigration can be sorted out by simply getting a new passport.

True... I was given that advice to do exactly that.. And it was from a visa service suggesting it - so I'm sure others were told to do the same and did exactly what was suggested..

I couldn't get my balls to agree with doing it.. So I just left..

Edited by D3030

biggrin.png

Who knows, keep hearing contradicting stories that the police require you to carry original or a copy will do! I do know the police in my area are on a self funding drive and asking for a missing passport could well be another reason to fine a foreigner!

Personally I have never lost a passport and also have reasonable teeth.

That said, a friend was off to get a replacement recently due to a volatile TGF flushing his.

Here's one version of the flexible truth used in this country.

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/12/thailand-police-foreigners-not-required-to-carry-passports-at-all-times/