Fixing up an old Corolla KE-70?

ClareQuilty

Do any armchair mechanics have any ideas about fixing up and old rear-wheel drive KE-70? Car is fairly solid, with good suspension, shocks, reasonable steering with updated parts, plus clean interior, but with a weak old 1.0 liter engine, a very groaning 5-speed, and a lot of dents.

I'm thinking it might be fun, and not that expensive, to have the body redone/painted, and some kind of interesting engine replacement carried out. Is it still possible to get cheapish Japanese engines in Thailand? I realize most nowadays are the unfortunate front-wheel-drive arrangement, but what sort of replacement might work in an old rear-driver? Maybe just a nice rebuilt 1.3 liter (as came standard in the car) + new/rebuilt gearbox (if they can even rebuild something that old). Or, go with something more modern and a little more powerful, maybe even an automatic.

Go for it

i 'am just to get ready with my swap with a toyota 1uz with 5 speed w58 gearbox in my ke70

Wow, that looks fantastic! But, I'm looking at a budget of 50,000 total, including paint and bodywork. I'm guessing 20,000 for that paint/bodywork, which allows 30,000 for a new engine and gearbox, perhaps a bit less if the bodywork proves more expensive.

So, I'm thinking of either a good rebuilt 1.3 liter 4K engine (the original engine) or some other larger K engine (I think there was a 1.8 liter 5k?), plus a new/rebuilt gearbox, or, if anyone can suggest a more modern used rear-drive Japanese engine which might still be available cheap in Thailand.