Tiger Temple to sue 'National Geographic' over damning report

webfact

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen the NG article but like other posters here I tend to think NG got it right. NG is not just any magazine or reporting tabloid it's major (popular) scientific organisation that has to get 'it right'. One can find many cd's in Thai shops (and in schools) on various topics which report the current understanding/research. Its research and reporting belong to the National Geographic Society and print in many languages and have been outspoken on many subjects. I am not saying that they don't make mistakes but I doubt very much that this article is one of them.

Is that still true - i thought the National Geographic Society was now a separate entity to the NG tv channels and magazine which come control and ownership of Rupert Murdochs Fox Media group.

Well hardly a surprise .,,, BUT there are a lot of factors to weigh up.....

Firstly one would assume the Nat Geo are prepared for this

Secondly what about CEE4Life who actually prepared the report? Will the temple go after them too?

It seems that under Thai law they concentrate not so much on the veracity of the allegations so much as whether or not they have caused damages - this is of course pretty indisputable....so it’s not so much did they pay for the tiger as how much this revelation has damaged the temple’s reputation.

The last time the temple tried to sue WFFT Edwin Wiek, they withdrew the action. One reason for this may well have been the fear of the inevitable adverse publicity and revelations such an action would bring.

It seems to me that the chances of the temple actually winning any legal action are quite good, given the state of Thai law and their connections, but can they survive the publicity generated by taking action against what is just about the biggest international publication in the world?

The magazine might be banned in Thailand but it will still be available worldwide where the temples customers come from.

We’ve already seen how irascible the abbot can be (the video of bird confiscation) but will he pursue this action? He needs to weigh the odds.

It might be good to have the whole thing aired in court though?

It seems that Thai law around libel and slander has nothing to do with whether or not the person "slandered" or libeled did the things said or written about them. Instead, it appears to be whether or not face was lost or they were shown in "bad light," or it was an affront to Thainess. \

Does anyone know if a libel case has ever been lost at trial due to the defendant proving that the things written about were true?

I haven't seen the NG article but like other posters here I tend to think NG got it right. NG is not just any magazine or reporting tabloid it's major (popular) scientific organisation that has to get 'it right'. One can find many cd's in Thai shops (and in schools) on various topics which report the current understanding/research. Its research and reporting belong to the National Geographic Society and print in many languages and have been outspoken on many subjects. I am not saying that they don't make mistakes but I doubt very much that this article is one of them.

Is that still true - i thought the National Geographic Society was now a separate entity to the NG tv channels and magazine which come control and ownership of Rupert Murdochs Fox Media group.

Yes you are quite correct, and happened when RM's 'empire' was split in two. As of September 2015 quote: The National Geographic Society and 21st Century Fox announced on Wednesday that they are expanding their partnership in a venture that will include National Geographic's cable channels, its 127-year-old magazine, digital and social platforms, maps, travel, and other media.

However, note the quote speaks of the NGS and not just the magazine.

Well hardly a surprise .,,, BUT there are a lot of factors to weigh up.....

Firstly one would assume the Nat Geo are prepared for this

Secondly what about CEE4Life who actually prepared the report? Will the temple go after them too?

It seems that under Thai law they concentrate not so much on the veracity of the allegations so much as whether or not they have caused damages - this is of course pretty indisputable....so it’s not so much did they pay for the tiger as how much this revelation has damaged the temple’s reputation.

The last time the temple tried to sue WFFT Edwin Wiek, they withdrew the action. One reason for this may well have been the fear of the inevitable adverse publicity and revelations such an action would bring.

It seems to me that the chances of the temple actually winning any legal action are quite good, given the state of Thai law and their connections, but can they survive the publicity generated by taking action against what is just about the biggest international publication in the world?

The magazine might be banned in Thailand but it will still be available worldwide where the temples customers come from.

We’ve already seen how irascible the abbot can be (the video of bird confiscation) but will he pursue this action? He needs to weigh the odds.

It might be good to have the whole thing aired in court though?

It seems that Thai law around libel and slander has nothing to do with whether or not the person "slandered" or libeled did the things said or written about them. Instead, it appears to be whether or not face was lost or they were shown in "bad light," or it was an affront to Thainess. \

Does anyone know if a libel case has ever been lost at trial due to the defendant proving that the things written about were true?

In addition to the bizarre libel laws, I don't think legal precedence matters here.

I bet the Nat Geo people were spewing coffee out their

noses in laughter when they saw this threat. Sigh, when

will these idiotic Thai entities learn this blustering bull

shit only works in Thailand with these insane libel laws.

But outside in the real world that Nat Geo lives in it

will just cause mirth.... So here is an idea. The Tiger

Temple should go on public media and refute the

report point by point...........Oh wait they probably

cannot do that. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Very, very true. Cowards like these guys at the temple, and their lawyer are clowns in the eyes of the world. These defamation laws are a big joke, intended to allow criminals, gangsters, politicians, and major corporations engaged in wrong doing, to deflect blame from themselves, and not have to answer for their crimes. It was a ghastly law, passed by a parliamentarian no doubt, who was bought and paid for.

As someone who has lived in Thailand and traveled all over for many years I am tired of the constant attacks this place gets. Anyone who have been around knows of far worse places that just because of their affiliations are ignored.

Don't get me wrong we all want these majestic creatures back in the wild and no one want to see acts of cruelty, but

1. Would you prefer the animal dead or alive?

2. I have never seen evidence of drugging here and I have been many times and while I am no expert it does not take one to see when an animal is drugged, and I grisly believe they are not

3. We all know bad press is better than good

4. I cannot believe the vast number of European volunteers at the temple would allow cruelty to prevail

5. I would imagine most of those posting here have never even been

6. It appears to me as with 90% of the posts on here it's another opportunity to skate the country. To those I say if it really is as you say then please go home and let those who understand and enjoy the life here live it with out your sour mouthed comments.

As far as I can see from my many visits to the temple things get better every time and it's about time the sandals touting hippie community found something else to moan about if you don't like something don't do it

The last sentence of your post says a lot more than the rest of your delusional diatribe

As third generation members of the National Geographic Society, Hubby and I were very disappointed to learn that they'd sold out to Murdoch. At least we thought we were members of a "society", not merely subscribers to a magazine. Both of us had grown up with maps and books our parents bought with hard-earned cash -- items that were held in high esteem in our households. For decades, through many homes and offices, we've had the National Geographic three-section, room-size map-of-the-world installed on a wall. In fact, having a place for installation of "The Map" entered into selection of new homes.

We watched another trusted journalistic institution, The Wall Street Journal, bend to his will and nearly cancelled our membership when we learned he took over National Geographic. I expect that any day now, they'll be saying that climate change is all a hoax.

While I agree with the concerns about the goings-on at the Tiger Temple, please remember that today's National Geographic isn't the trusted institution of your youth. They may very well have been hoping for this lawsuit for the publicity value.

I cannot see the importance of having been there or not. I never was at Belsen, not in Cambodia when Pol Pot was having his fun, and never was in an Arabian market blown to hell by IS/ Al Queda suicide bombers. I do know however what happened in these places due to good reporting.

Wrong is wrong and I'd take the view of a hugely respected org. such as Nat Geo over that of a corrupt monk anyday. BTW, has anyone checked how many Benzes he has?

Ha ha...

Oh yes sir, yes indeed a lawsuit will resolve everything....and everything will be back to: Sabai Sabai

As always, every religious organization around the world does not accept any criticism of their conduct.

In the case of the monks at the Tiger temple they have lost face ...so we will sue the people that exposed our dirty deeds under the guise of a Buddhist temple because they upset our ability to make loads of money in a unsavory way.

Cheers

Leave the Tigers where they are and move the monks out.

As a practical way to BEGIN to resolve the situation, that is IMO the best idea.

The temple is not a satisfactory place to keep the tigers long term, but the MAIN problem is with the management.

It would seem the logical fist step is REGIME CHANGE - take the running of the place out of the hands of the monks and install a team of experts. They can then arrange first a proper diet and scientific care protocols and then disperse the tigers over a reasonable period of time.

just going in and taking the tigers out in big groups seems a rather complicated and unsatisfactory way of tackling the problem

Will they also be suing the Daily Mail for their report and video ?

Incidentally the link may not work because the site has been blocked by the Thai government. But this link does appear to work at the moment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3411541/The-shocking-moment-sanctuary-worker-PUNCHES-tiger-face-famous-Thai-temple.html

Edited by johncat1

The National Geographic is not above the law. They should be sued for their damaging damning report.

They are just jealous of the Monks and the Temples

They want to sell magazines and do not care who they smear

They should be forced to pay Billions of US Dollars in damages

The National Geographic is not above the law. They should be sued for their damaging damning report.

They are just jealous of the Monks and the Temples

They want to sell magazines and do not care who they smear

They should be forced to pay Billions of US Dollars in damages

so you are saying that all the allegations are false?

The National Geographic should write about the drugging of Children in America by Doctors and Gangs

This more important than worrying about a Tiger being Drugged so they will not Bite People

Do you want tigers to bite People?

I say if tigers are drugged keep them drugged so they will not bite

Have the America children are still being drugged