Monk held at knife-point in Pattaya Temple grounds

webfact

Monk held at knife-point in Pattaya Temple grounds

monk-5-2.jpg?fit=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- On Monday afternoon Police rushed to a Temple in the Southern outskirts of Pattaya to assist a Monk who had just been threatened at knife-point.

The incident occurred at the Boonganjanaram Temple where officers met the 70-year-old monk who was clearly distraught. He explained to Police that he was at the front of his room smoking a cigarette when a crazed man forced open a gate to the residential compound at the Temple.

The man approached the monk and demanded to see another Monk, who the victim later learned had run away as soon as he saw the crazed man. The victim told the man that he did not know where he was and began to walk away.

The man, who was armed with a knife, followed him and placed the knife on his throat and demanded he help to locate the missing monk. Eventually the armed man realized the monk was nowhere to be seen and left.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/221092/monk-held-at-knife-point-in-pattaya-temple-grounds/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-01-26

I didnt know Monks were allowed to have a ciggie...

They have smoked as long as I can remember. I know the rule book says (however obliquely) they should not. In theory they should not carry money, or have worldly goods other than their bowl and robes. But they do. And I don't think today's younger monks are any different to those of yester-year.

20 years ago I was taken out the back of BKK to a forest temple (by an old gf) to get a tattoo from a renown monk. When we got there, I couldn't believe the caricature I was looking at. A bean pole of a monk who looked as old as Methuselah, and had a fag sticking out of the corner of his mouth. To sterilize the freshly cut bamboo "needle" he left it soaking in a freshly poured glass of whiskey. Surprisingly it didn't hurt so much as I expected and didn't get infected. He later drank a shot from the glass and splattered the rest over the door sill for good luck.

Ah, memories !

They have smoked as long as I can remember. I know the rule book says (however obliquely) they should not. In theory they should not carry money, or have worldly goods other than their bowl and robes. But they do. And I don't think today's younger monks are any different to those of yester-year.

20 years ago I was taken out the back of BKK to a forest temple (by an old gf) to get a tattoo from a renown monk. When we got there, I couldn't believe the caricature I was looking at. A bean pole of a monk who looked as old as Methuselah, and had a fag sticking out of the corner of his mouth. To sterilize the freshly cut bamboo "needle" he left it soaking in a freshly poured glass of whiskey. Surprisingly it didn't hurt so much as I expected and didn't get infected. He later drank a shot from the glass and splattered the rest over the door sill for good luck.

Ah, memories !

Thanks for the reply... I learned something today smile.png

I thought that the crime may have been as a result of a fake monk, but as it seems, smoking is not a way to distinguish a real or fake monk .. I am also guessing the mobile phones are acceptable too

Edited by thhMan

Ah, memories !

Thanks for the reply... I learned something today smile.png

I thought that the crime may have been as a result of a fake monk, but as it seems, smoking is not a way to distinguish a real or fake monk .. I am also guessing the mobile phones are acceptable too

I have seen this "smoking" mentioned many, many times on this forum. For everyone's edification, there is no mention of the prohibition of smoking in any of the 227 monks rules. Everyone knows it's bad for your health, it don't look good and it costs money. But it's not prohibited. Neither are mobile phones. Thank you. coffee1.gif