Paperwork needed to get Thai birth certificate, currently in South Korea

So, I didn't realize until recently that I could get Thai citizenship since my mother is a Thai.

I did some research here and this is what I found that I need for a Thai birth certificate:

• Completed application form
  • Copy of my US passport accompanied by original.
  • Copy of my US birth certificate accompanied by original.
  • Copy of my parents marriage certificate accompanied by original.
  • Copy of mom's Thai ID card accompanied by original.
  • Copy of my mom's US passport and original

I was wondering if this is still all the documentation required, as I gathered it from an older post, if there maybe anything additional?

Also, how would I go about this if my mother doesn't have her Thai ID? Will her Thai passport be ok? She hasn't been in Thailand for over 40 years-ish.

I am also currently in South Korea, so I am assuming I can do this at the Thai embassy in Seoul or do I need to travel back to the states or Thailand?

Edited by jpeezy

You can only apply for your Thai birth certificate in the US where you were born. It would have to applied for at the embassy in Washington DC or one of the 3 official consulates.

You can submit the application at the consular affairs department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok. They will then send the application to the embassy in DC for them to issue the birth certificate..

Info in Thai for registering a birth at the embassy in DC is here: http://thaiembdc.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%B0%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%83%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B9%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%9A%E0%B8%B1%E0%B8%95%E0%B8%A3.pdf

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What does one do, once one gets the Thai birth certificate from the Thai Embassy in DC?

My daughter now has the birth certificate and we need to get her Thai citizenship certified very soon.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but after March 20, it won't get any better for her, I'm sure.

She is currently on about a 2 year overstay, with her US passport.

What does one do, once one gets the Thai birth certificate from the Thai Embassy in DC?

My daughter now has the birth certificate and we need to get her Thai citizenship certified very soon.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but after March 20, it won't get any better for her, I'm sure.

She is currently on about a 2 year overstay, with her US passport.

When she has her birth certificate she will need to be registered at an Amphoe to get a Thai ID number and be registered in a a house book. After that she can get a Thai ID card anf passport. After she gets her Thai passport she would have to leave the country and re-enter using her Thai passport.

The changes on the 20th of March will not effect her unless she is 18 years old or over. There is no banning for children under that age and no overstay fines unless she is 15 or over,

• Like 1