Lawyers Council to appeal Koh Tao convicts’ death sentence

webfact

Lawyers Council to appeal Koh Tao suspects’ death sentence and seek their transfer to Bangkok

183-wpcf_728x408.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Lawyers Council of Thailand today has agreed to appeal the death sentence passed upon two Myanmar migrant workers and to seek the transfer of them to Bangkok to facilitate visits, and trial.

The council’s vice president for operation Mr Suvit Choei-ubol said that the working panel of the council for the case has met and reached agreement to appeal the death sentence passed by the Samui Provincial Court on the two suspects, Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun.

The appeal against the death sentence by the Court of First Instance (Samui Provincial Court) focussed on five points, he said but declined to elaborate.

But he said all points that the lawyers will dispute are all significant that can’t be omitted, and had been said before in the first court.

He said he was confident the appeal with these points will be accepted by the Appeal Court.

Besides, he said the council has also sought the extension of the appeal period for another month till February 24 after it expired January 24.

He said the council has also sought permission to transfer the two inmates from Surat Thani central court to Bangkok Remand Prison to facilitate all concerned and visits.

He hoped the permission will be granted by the Justice Ministry as the reason cited is justified.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/148185

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-26

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it quite inexplicable that they have waited for the appeal period to expire before applying for an extension!

The Appeal Court would be well within their rights to refuse an extension...................and it might just suit certain persons for them to do so.

I find it quite inexplicable that they have waited for the appeal period to expire before applying for an extension!

The Appeal Court would be well within their rights to refuse an extension...................and it might just suit certain persons for them to do so.

I'm sure I read on one of the other threads a few days ago that the appeal extension had already been granted.

God speed boys. The world is with you. Unfortunately millions (2.5 million pounds sterling I've heard so far) and a crooked system are against you.

I see that one of the troll troupe have turned up. Dispy, lala and poe to come along shortly.

Edited by mrrizzla

I hope you all have noticed, they will appeal the death penalty.

It does not say they will appeal the verdict of guilty.

That speaks volumes.

Oh dear you lead a sad life !!

They are appealing the verdict as yet there still was no real evidence shown just the word of the Clowns in Brown!

I think it's window dressing. I can't picture a Thai attorney facing off against a judge. It was one or more judges who gave the verdict. The self-appointed PM is behind the verdict as are all RTP top brass. This is a highly stratified society. A group of attorneys don't have 1/10th the clout as those at the top of the pyramid. I predict the ruling will stand, and the scapegoats will get a pardon (no execution + life sentence shortened to 10 or 15 years). Pardons are rather common in Thailand.

It's rather sick that the 2 suspects were always bundled together as if they're Siamese twins. Wei admitted finding a phone in the sand. All those closely following the case agree somewhat that his friend Zaw was probably asleep at their room during the time of the crime. Wei is facing execution for finding a phone, and Zaw faces same for not finding a phone. The DNA was supposed to be the linchpin for finding them guilty, but the DNA trail is so tattered, skewed and inept as to be completely flawed. If any proof were needed: no crucial DNA was presented as evidence at the trial. Nothing from Hannah or her clothes. Worse than a travesty. All RTP involved in the cover-up should be severely disciplined: heavy fines and serious prison time.

That speaks volumes.

Oh dear you lead a sad life !!

They are appealing the verdict as yet there still was no real evidence shown just the word of the Clowns in Brown!

Greenchair's interpretation of the headline was 100% correct. As it would be to you, if you cared to educate yourself as to the difference between "Appealing a sentence" and "appealing a verdict". And as for leading a sad life, well...

That speaks volumes.

And you are 100% totally confident that the translation to English is totally absolutely perfect?

A question: Do you think PBS has a team of lawyers fluent in both Thai and English who very seriously check such translations?

I very much doubt it.

The news everyone's waiting for isn't about a death sentence appeal,it's about the release of these 2 innocent lads,along with the capture of the true suspects,and just for good measure an apology to the Burmese government,with a nice bit of compensation that's made public.

I fear we're in for a long wait.

That speaks volumes.

And you are 100% totally confident that the translation to English is totally absolutely perfect?

A question: Do you think PBS has a team of lawyers fluent in both Thai and English who very seriously check such translations?

I very much doubt it.

I'm sure the translaters know the difference between.

Appealing the verdict.

Appealing the death penalty.

Similar to the burmese government, that was against the sentence, but said nothing about the verdict.

And David's father being sure of the verdict but against the death penalty.

Even in prison, their lives will be better than hannah and david will have now.

“Myanmar Ambassador U Win Maung said the case must be appealed and treated fairly.”

“Observers at the trial said little concrete evidence was presented by the prosecution and DNA evidence gathered in the case was flawed and inconclusive.”

“In a trial where torture allegations by the two accused were left uninvestigated and DNA evidence was called into question by Thailand's most prominent forensic pathologist,

both the ruling and these death sentences are profoundly disturbing,” said Phil Robertson, the deputy director of Human Rights Watch's Asia division.

http://mizzima.com/news-regional/thai-lawyers-council-appeal-koh-tao-murder-verdicts#sthash.bYy1avwo.dpuf

Edited by iReason

“Police handling the Koh Tao murders case have again stood up the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC),

which has repeatedly invited investigators to its headquarters to clear up allegations they tortured two Myanmar suspects to confess.”

“The NHRC would begin debating whether it should file a complaint against forensic police, Police Region 8 and the Metropolitan Police Bureau,

after the three departments failed to show up for the fourth time.”

http://www.nhrc.or.th/2012/wb/en/news_detail.php?nid=3376&parent_id=1&type=new

Edited by iReason

Am I missing something? The Myanmar Times ran this story a few days ago – before any deadline.

One thing I am sure of, this case should have thrown out of court.

And it is unbelievable that the death sentence should be handed out, which usually relies on incontrovertible proof.

That speaks volumes.

They are appealing against the sentence, not only that is death, do you really think they wouldn´t ?

There was a case just the other day going to the supreme court. The defendants had accepted their guilt, but appealed for the death penalty to be revoked.

I will stand corrected if I am reading this wrong. Maybe you could go ask andy hall, and come back with a smart answer to the forum.

That speaks volumes.

What a ridiculous statement the defence already have enough evidence to prove them not guilty this is just the first steps in a long process .

You have had it explained enough times now to know the lack of DNA evidence chain of custody etc will be a major part of the appeal.

clap2.gifclap2.gif Appreciated the efforts of The Lawyers Council of Thailand! clap2.gifclap2.gif

At least they are giving some hope for these convicted poor boys.

Whatever outcome the Koh Tao Mafia wants,.... they will get it over dead bodies and blood money under the table. Book it........

It'll just be another set of delays, delays, delays and you know how much the influential elites likes to delay and delay and delay critical cases until eternity and keep a pretty savy Face in all the process against all human right ethics..............

The longer the delays, the more it plays into the hands of the Koh Tao mafia and the current regime..................

Am I missing something? The Myanmar Times ran this story a few days ago – before any deadline.

One thing I am sure of, this case should have thrown out of court.

And it is unbelievable that the death sentence should be handed out, which usually relies on incontrovertible proof.

This case was so profoundly mishandled that nobody can find the truth now, obviously suspicion of their guilt will remain but you cant sentence somebody to death on mere suspicion.

That speaks volumes.

What a ridiculous statement the defence already have enough evidence to prove them not guilty this is just the first steps in a long process .

You have had it explained enough times now to know the lack of DNA evidence chain of custody etc will be a major part of the appeal.

Give it up will ya.

The verdicts in.

“Police handling the Koh Tao murders case have again stood up the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC),

which has repeatedly invited investigators to its headquarters to clear up allegations they tortured two Myanmar suspects to confess.”

“The NHRC would begin debating whether it should file a complaint against forensic police, Police Region 8 and the Metropolitan Police Bureau,

after the three departments failed to show up for the fourth time.”

http://www.nhrc.or.th/2012/wb/en/news_detail.php?nid=3376&parent_id=1&type=new

N stands for National, not International and therefore the NHRC will have to do anything it is told by "U-No- Hu".

Edited by Basil B