Inquests shows Briton died in Thailand after 'downing buckets of Vodka and Red Bull'

webfact

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

terrible journalism as usual. They can't even get the poor guy's age correct as 20 or 29. I suspect he may have been 20 though given the lack of knowledge about what he was drinking

I don't believe you can be an engineer at age 20 ...... you need a degree.

Why is it usually the young Brits who have so many serious problems when visiting Thailand.?

They seem to always be in the news..missing, assaulted, raped or dead.

Ever notice?

Edited by willyumiii

Why is it usually the young Brits who have so many serious problems when visiting Thailand.?

Ever notice?

It is the yobbo culture prevalent in big cities, one of the reasons i left the cesspit 40 years ago. reading British newspapers shows me it hasn't got any better, worse if anything.

Ever notice?

It is the yobbo culture prevalent in big cities, one of the reasons i left the cesspit 40 years ago. reading British newspapers shows me it hasn't got any better, worse if anything.

I'm sure Britain missed you cheesy.gif I lived in UK for decades and 'cesspit' is a nasty provocation and quiet untrue

Red bull is banned in a few European country's. It's known to case heart palpitations. It just pure caffeine. But when I was in Phuket last year they had started to put pyinol in the drinks.

No it's not. Approved in all EU countries and some 167 countries worldwid .

Why do people insist on placing blame on anyone or anything but the individual. His friends left, his choice was not to leave. He paid the ultimate consequences for that decision. There is no other blame to laid anywhere else.

TH

Ever notice?

I'm sure Britain missed you cheesy.gif I lived in UK for decades and 'cesspit' is a nasty provocation and quiet untrue

true, that was an exaggeration, depends upon where you live and whether you have an income that allows you to do more than just exist despite being qualified. I have never liked the UK even as a child, for me it was always so mundane and boring which maybe accounts for the Friday night drunken revelry to be found in many city centers.

Ever notice?

true, that was an exaggeration, depends upon where you live and whether you have an income that allows you to do more than just exist despite being qualified. I have never liked the UK even as a child, for me it was always so mundane and boring which maybe accounts for the Friday night drunken revelry to be found in many city centers.

My comment was not intended to be "Brit Bashing".

I am just curious.

If what I am reading is true, maybe their life at home is so mundane, that when they do get a chance to cut lose, they have little experience with a need for self control and take it to dangerous extremes?

Ever notice?

Yes it is OTT to call it a "cesspit". BUT, and it is a big but, the yobbo binge drinking culture amongst many younger people has over recent years become a significant part of life. In places it is rather out of control.

For the last couple of years before I moved here circumstances meant that I earned a living driving a taxi, in a relatively small city in the West Country. Frankly Friday and Saturday nights were horrible to work, and New Year and Christmas were just indescribable.

People regularly drank themselves into a stupor. This is basically what some of them come here to do. It's not confined to the British of course, but we are amongst the most enthusiastic.

Ever notice?

Yes it is OTT to call it a "cesspit". BUT, and it is a big but, the yobbo binge drinking culture amongst many younger people has over recent years become a significant part of life. In places it is rather out of control.

For the last couple of years before I moved here circumstances meant that I earned a living driving a taxi, in a relatively small city in the West Country. Frankly Friday and Saturday nights were horrible to work, and New Year and Christmas were just indescribable.

People regularly drank themselves into a stupor. This is basically what some of them come here to do. It's not confined to the British of course, but we are amongst the most enthusiastic.

nice example here, lol

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/eturbonews1?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eturbonews.com%2F69362%2Fam-i-not-hotel-drunk-british-tourist-passes-out-strangers-bed&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thaivisa.com%2Fforum%2Ftopic%2F902740-am-i-not-in-a-hotel-drunk-british-tourist-passes-out-in-strangers-bed%2F

Red bull is banned in a few European country's. It's known to case heart palpitations. It just pure caffeine. But when I was in Phuket last year they had started to put pyinol in the drinks.

No it's not. Approved in all EU countries and some 167 countries worldwid .

Why do people insist on placing blame on anyone or anything but the individual. His friends left, his choice was not to leave. He paid the ultimate consequences for that decision. There is no other blame to laid anywhere else

Wrong.. Try France and Denmark..

Wrong

TH

• 1 month later...

some years back I was out for a few innocent beers with friends and some how I ended up with a whiskey/red bull bucket in hand. I remember leaving the bar and wondering around some other places....woke up the next morning in my bed with a wicked hang over,no memory of driving my motorbike home (15km). That scared me off buckets and mixing "uppers"(red bull) & "downers" (booze) for-ever!

R.I.P young Chap.

if he was so stupid to drink so much of alcohol and Red Bull - he absolutely deserved to die. actions cause repercussions.

didn't he know this at the age of 29? if yes, he should not be left unattended. especially in Thailand.

if he was so stupid to drink so much of alcohol and Red Bull - he absolutely deserved to die. actions cause repercussions.

didn't he know this at the age of 29? if yes, he should not be left unattended. especially in Thailand.

How boring..............coffee1.gif

better be bored than dead...

just my opinion

10 posts so far - please make your next post less idiotic.

It appears that he drank without consideration for his actions which cost him his life. He most definitely did not deserve to die, that accolade is only fitting of those who's actions have a far greater impact on others.

Additionally, I have to question the 'Poisoning' conclusion - 4x the legal limit is what? 0.2 BAC (legal limit is 0.05 BAC) - I've have a breathalyser and have been 3x the limit and felt well in control of my faculties - there is surely more to this... as someone else mentioned, methanol ????

It appears that he drank without consideration for his actions which cost him his life.

it means he deserved to die. nobody forced him to drink.

if one intentionally touches an electric wire with high voltage - he deserves to die. if one takes 20 sleeping pills instead of one - he deserves to die.

actions cause reprecussions

"I've have a breathalyser and have been 3x the limit and felt well in control of my faculties"

I trust the opinion of a binge drinker. You're the expert on the subject, 555.

However, you're wrong. There is considerable evidence the "typical" binge drinking alcohol dose is very close to a fatal or "toxic" dose.

That's why alcohol is the worldest most dangerous drug, more dangerous than crack, heroin, meth, speed, downers, opiates, coffee, and water.

More people have died after overdosing on alcohol than all those other drugs combined.

Fact.

Imagine how different this discussion would be if it was some other drug like cannabis or MDMA, both of which are less harmful than ethanol (drinking alcohol).

This death was a drug overdose, plain and simple. Most people (including news reporters, law enforcement officers) don't want to call it a "drug overdose" because they are in denial that their consumption of ethanol actually makes them drug users too.

Ethanol is a recreational drug, and it has many associated harms. The list of harms should be informed to those who consume it. How to actually do that (especially in an entertainment setting) is another matter, but all drug users (regardless of the legal status of the drug) should be sufficiently informed about what they are consuming and how best to prevent harm. Not every ethanol user is aware of the dangers of mixing ethanol with other substances like Red Bull (which masks the sedating effects, increasing the likelihood of greater consumption of the toxic ethanol) or cocaine (which produces cocaethylene in the body which is more toxic than cocaine itself).

The whole culture of drinking ethanol to excess needs to be eradicated from society. It is not "cool" to consume drugs in excess. There is usually an optimal amount of a recreational drug that achieves a good balance between enjoyment and harm, after which taking more doesn't lead to more enjoyment but instead increases harm and risk of death.

The general stigma about recreational drug usage should also be abolished. It is this stigma, together with the false belief that ethanol is not a drug, and that it is an accepted recreational drug by mainstream society, that leads people to consume ethanol as if it's not so harmful. If safer alternative recreational drugs were made available then there would be fewer tragic incidences like this Brit's death.

The UN General Assembly is currently convening a special session on the world drug problem. It started on 2016-04-19 and concludes today: UNGASS 2016. I think this is the beginning of the end of the failed "war on drugs". This is big news, but there doesn't seem to be much news about this in Thai media, maybe because authorities don't want to admit that they have been wrong. Thailand, both its government and its people, need to open their mind and shift their focus from enforcement and prosecution to harm reduction and tolerance to all drug consumption (not just to ethanol, tobacco, and caffeine).

Edited by hyperdimension

Imagine how different this discussion would be if it was some other drug like cannabis or MDMA, both of which are less harmful than ethanol (drinking alcohol).

This death was a drug overdose, plain and simple. Most people (including news reporters, law enforcement officers) don't want to call it a "drug overdose" because they are in denial that their consumption of ethanol actually makes them drug users too.

Ethanol is a recreational drug, and it has many associated harms. The list of harms should be informed to those who consume it. How to actually do that (especially in an entertainment setting) is another matter, but all drug users (regardless of the legal status of the drug) should be sufficiently informed about what they are consuming and how best to prevent harm. Not every ethanol user is aware of the dangers of mixing ethanol with other substances like Red Bull (which masks the sedating effects, increasing the likelihood of greater consumption of the toxic ethanol) or cocaine (which produces cocaethylene in the body which is more toxic than cocaine itself).

The whole culture of drinking ethanol to excess needs to be eradicated from society. It is not "cool" to consume drugs in excess. There is usually an optimal amount of a recreational drug that achieves a good balance between enjoyment and harm, after which taking more doesn't lead to more enjoyment but instead increases harm and risk of death.

The general stigma about recreational drug usage should also be abolished. It is this stigma, together with the false belief that ethanol is not a drug, that leads people to consume ethanol as if it's not so harmful.

The UN General Assembly is currently convening a special session on the world drug problem. It started on 2016-04-19 and concludes today: UNGASS 2016. I think this is the beginning of the end of the failed "war on drugs". This is big news, but there doesn't seem to be much news about this in Thai media, maybe because authorities don't want to admit that they have been wrong. Thailand, both its government and its people, need to open their mind and shift their focus from enforcement and prosecution to harm reduction and tolerance to drug consumption.

and coffee