US urges Thailand to investigate disappearance of Chinese journalist

webfact

US Urges Thailand to Investigate Disappearance of Chinese Journalist
Nike Ching

STATE DEPARTMENT—The United States has called on Thai authorities to look into reports that a Chinese editor disappeared in Thailand after fleeing China where he was pressured into being a government informant.

A State Department official who asked not to be named told VOA Tuesday that the U.S. is aware of reports that Li Xin, who was opinion editor for the website edition of the liberal-leaning newspaper Southern Metropolis Daily, has disappeared in Thailand.

“We urge Thai authorities to investigate this disappearance and provide any information they may have of Mr. Li's whereabouts to his family,” the U.S. official said.

Li was traveling across Thailand earlier this month seeking political refuge.

Full story: http://www.voanews.com/content/us-urges-thailand-to-investigate-disappearance-of-chinese-journalist/3164345.html

-- Voice of America 2016-01-27

Why did the US Embassy turned down his request for asylum in the first place? The horse has bolted from the barn...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/world/asia/china-thailand-li-xin.html

Mr. Li had first gone to India, apparently hoping to obtain a visa to the United States, where he intended to apply for asylum. Failing that, he hoped to extend his stay in India. He succeeded at neither, and decided to go to Thailand.

Why did the US Embassy turned down his request for asylum in the first place? The horse has bolted from the barn...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/world/asia/china-thailand-li-xin.html

Mr. Li had first gone to India, apparently hoping to obtain a visa to the United States, where he intended to apply for asylum. Failing that, he hoped to extend his stay in India. He succeeded at neither, and decided to go to Thailand.

So the US Embassy in India turned down his request for a visa...

"...he fled China after being forced to work for years as an informant for the State Security Department on the activities of intellectuals, non-government organizations and rights activists."

CIA station chief in the basement of the US Embassy in Bangkok:

"OK Mr. Xin, that VOA story should keep them guessing for a while. We will get you out of here as soon as we can. Have a cup of coffee and please tell us what you know about..."

Edited by NCC1701A

The US should mind their own bussines and worry about Quantanamo

By this comment I'm assuming you are OK with human rights activists being kidnapped in foreign countries while applying for political asylum?
accept there seems to be no PROOF of that happening here!

Other than the ones the government has admitted to? At least 2 times now, including 2 . In this case, the police are refusing to get involved. Referring the family to the Chinese embassy here. Fishy.

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/china/repatriation-11162015113959.html

By this comment I'm assuming you are OK with human rights activists being kidnapped in foreign countries while applying for political asylum?
don't assume

Rephrased. By this comment, it states you are OK with these types of kidnapping. Or just unhappy the US, as normal? smile.png

Other than the ones the government has admitted to? At least 2 times now, including 2 . In this case, the police are refusing to get involved. Referring the family to the Chinese embassy here. Fishy.

From the article IF they had been given refugee status WHY were they still in Thailand. As far as I'm aware Thailand has NEVER taken UN refugees or fully signed the UN convention on refugees. And subsequently they were found to have expired visa's..

From the article IF they had been given refugee status WHY were they still in Thailand. As far as I'm aware Thailand has NEVER taken UN refugees or fully signed the UN convention on refugees. And subsequently they were found to have expired visa's..

You are Chinese. Your visa in India has expired. Your funds are limited.

There are a few options close by in Asia: Bangladesh, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Singapore.

Why Thailand? Maybe he had friends here.

There are a few options close by in Asia: Bangladesh, Thailand, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Singapore.

So we know his funds are limited now?

I don't buy that he would know that Thailand is China friendly so for him to come here is silly if he was going to be lifted why wasn't he lifted when he first came in to Thailand. No he's gone to ground he will surface in a western country in the future watch this space