PM Prayut urges public to conserve water amid drought crisis

webfact

PM urges public to conserve water amid drought crisis

w.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 January 2016 (NNT) - The Prime Minister has told farmers and the general public to conserve water ahead of the dry season this year.

The Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha said that even though there are contingency plans, no one should remain complacent. Many farmers have continued to grow rice against the government's recommendations. However, the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority has insisted there will be enough water for household consumption.

In Roi-Et province, Governor Anusorn Keawkangwan has instructed local officials to prevent farmers from growing off-season rice. Yasothon Dam, which supplies water to the province, reportedly has 53% of capacity remaining, which is only enough for household consumption and alternative, drought-tolerant crops.

In Lampang province, the Water Resources Region 1 Office has set up a water treatment center at a General Buddhist Scripture School in Mueang district to provide drinking water to monks, novices and local residents.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-26 footer_n.gif

Almost every day riding along Alpine Golf Course (25 km SE downtown Chiang Mai) I see the lawn sprinklers over there working without interruption. The forested hills accross the road already turn brownish but the golf lawn looks green like a primary paddy plantation throughout the years.

I wonder whether this request from highest government level to save water will be followed by the Golf Resort at least from now on ...

Almost every day riding along Alpine Golf Course (25 km SE downtown Chiang Mai) I see the lawn sprinklers over there working without interruption. The forested hills accross the road already turn brownish but the golf lawn looks green like a primary paddy plantation throughout the years.

I wonder whether this request from highest government level to save water will be followed by the Golf Resort at least from now on ...

And the rice farmers a little further west of there, pump groundwater 24/7 to flood their rice fields. Some are more clever, & grow tobacco or other crops needing less water, but too many grow rice.

Groundwater is not inexhaustible. They will eventually run out, if not this year then next. If they pump the local groundwater dry the soil will compact and that well will never work again.

Today's solution is creating tomorrow's problem. facepalm.gif

Unfortunately, "tomorrow", isn't part of their thought process....

There you go...finally the head honcho appeals to his citizens.

But is it too little too late...and will they plan for the future??

Cheers

I'm sure that, as with most govt appeals, the Thai citizenry will heed and strictly observe !

Likely nothing for many golf courses especially the prestigious ones to worry about as the membership will include those and such as those.

And meanwhile, the fire trucks still water the central reservations on dual carriageways here in Khon Kaen! And the house opposite uses water sprinklers on their lawn and hoses the car daily! Strong legislation enforced with large fines is the only answer. The general public will not respond to requests!