Cold classroom conditions

chowny77

Yesterday was bloody cold. I got a little wet traveling by scooter to school in the morning, even with a rain jacket and felt miserable through my classes. My poor students were wrapped up but both myself and the students were shivering as the school has no means of heat. I know this cold spell has been kind of a fluke but damn it is cold. I have lived here for 11 years and have never come across the cold season being quite like this. I know back home in the UK in conditions like this a class maybe cancelled or even the school closed. I guess Thailand has none of these health rules, same goes if the conditions are too hot. At least the weather forecast says it should get warmer by the weekend.

Edited by chowny77

No. I have never seen school canceled for weather, except for flooding. Our classrooms in BKK were cool, but not too cold. One of the things they could have done was permit the younger students to wear long pants instead of shorts. The older kids wear long pants, but the little ones have shorts and it was a little too cool for shorts for them, IMO.

But then again, God help that practical or health considerations interfere with the importance of school uniforms.

At our school the kids were wrapped in blankets, had thick gloves on - and a various assortment of knitted/fur hats - some quite funny, too. The less lucky ones just had to make do with several layers of clothes - no hat, no gloves.

Naturally, most of the visited classrooms had doors and windows that can't close properly, so the ice cold wind could whistle through the room. Not surprisingly, most kids had little or no interest in learning anything - I imagine it would have better to keep the kids "moving", instead of just letting them sit still most of the day in near freezing temperatures.

For the smaller kids, we did some funny English exercise songs, which brought out smiles and a few laughs - and helped warm them up for a while. biggrin.png

Cold again today, but not as cold as the last few days - good!

Edited by scooterboy

As for the kids, kept my 4 year old at home for the past 4 days, no point in risking his health.

Yes - and I can't say I blame you, either. Thai kids aren't accustomed one bit to that sort of weather.

Some of the kids we saw looked downright miserable because of the freezing cold. Many of them would probably have been better off staying at home - or at least in the warm, somewhere. Cold and drafty classrooms aren't the best environment for smaller kids.

Hey, the sun has once again appeared - and now the air feels somewhat warmer. Great! biggrin.png