Electric Gates, the good and the bad?

Rancid

We had last month an electric gate installed...So far love it. Just so handy...Nice when  raining hard.:)) Plus do not have to worry if the gate is locked or not..it's locked when closed. 

Order 2 extra remotes just to have them. 

16 hours ago, INDI12 said:

my 2 cents....

<Snip...>

alternately the sim card based gate trancievers are pretty cool to for about same money as rf transmitter and remotes. but dont even need remotes anymore just your mobile phone and call the phone number of sim in gate unit to open /close .

Keep in mind that the sim card ones are probably 2G phone system only which is being phased out soon.  If it says its 3G, then should work for quite a few years yet.

• 6 months later...
On 1/28/2016 at 0:47 PM, scorecard said:

We decided to install same system on sliding gate just after new house completed. The gate did slide OK, however when the installation people came the technician said he wanted to replace the rollers to stainless steel, better quality (Hafele) and a spec. designed to carry more weight.

My daughter in law said go ahead and it cost all up 1,000Baht but my son was a bit concerned it was a rip off.

But the truth is that the gate slid much more easily after new rollers installed, and moved with very little hand pressure to get it rolling.

I just took a good look, five years later the SS rollers have no rust whatever and when I isolate the auto closing the gate moves with a very small amount of hand pushing.

Overall It's been worth the extra 1,000Baht.

Our closer is PAT, never had a moments trouble. We have once replaced the battery in the sensor which instantly stops the auto closing or opening if something interrupts the signal.

Avoid PAT like the plague. They are quite a big company but complete cowboys. They do not honor the products warranty for a single day, and don't seem to know how to install the product correctly. A wholly unprofessional organisation. Both sets of our gates went wrong in the first month. Both time PAT REFUSED to come out without asking for a 2800BHT service charge, so based on the performance of the product its going to cost us 12,000BHT A MONTH to keep the gates functioning.

On 1/28/2016 at 0:47 PM, scorecard said:

We decided to install same system on sliding gate just after new house completed. The gate did slide OK, however when the installation people came the technician said he wanted to replace the rollers to stainless steel, better quality (Hafele) and a spec. designed to carry more weight.

My daughter in law said go ahead and it cost all up 1,000Baht but my son was a bit concerned it was a rip off.

But the truth is that the gate slid much more easily after new rollers installed, and moved with very little hand pressure to get it rolling.

I just took a good look, five years later the SS rollers have no rust whatever and when I isolate the auto closing the gate moves with a very small amount of hand pushing.

Overall It's been worth the extra 1,000Baht.

Our closer is PAT, never had a moments trouble. We have once replaced the battery in the sensor which instantly stops the auto closing or opening if something interrupts the signal.

Did you put in stainless steel bolt(axel) and nuts too for that price?

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2016 at 9:41 PM, Ghostnigel said:

When we bought a new house 100 metres down the road, i asked our electric gate guy how much to move the old one to our new house, he said 20,000 bht, i said "how much to fit a new one?" He said 20,000 bht, so i told him we'll have a new one then...he set the remotes to work both gates, so we have 6 remotes.

An up date to this post from Korat

Having a previous installation installed at new house 7500 + 2000 for 2nd hand gate sensor ( flat face type) so 9500 bht all up

Quote 7500 bht

* men x 2 - 1300 all up (1 day)

* 10 mtrs of electrical feed in conduit 500

* 50 bht per pc for lugs on to gate x 20 = 1000

* Lets say 1000 bht for using stainless welder

3800 bht 

# they used my existing toothed track which i guess they added into the 7500 as i googled & came to the conclusion it would cost 3000 bht for 4 mtrs

My place is only 3 km from shop

On 7/14/2017 at 0:52 PM, rufanuf said:

Avoid PAT like the plague. They are quite a big company but complete cowboys. They do not honor the products warranty for a single day, and don't seem to know how to install the product correctly. A wholly unprofessional organisation. Both sets of our gates went wrong in the first month. Both time PAT REFUSED to come out without asking for a 2800BHT service charge, so based on the performance of the product its going to cost us 12,000BHT A MONTH to keep the gates functioning.

My experience with PAT has been pretty good. Had my gate for about 8 years now and still going strong. We have replaced a part once for between 3000-4000 baht in this time but otherwise everything has been great. I think they charge us 500 Baht for a call out but it could possibly be 700. It certainly is nothing like 2800 baht.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2017 at 2:12 PM, MartinBKK said:

My experience with PAT has been pretty good. Had my gate for about 8 years now and still going strong. We have replaced a part once for between 3000-4000 baht in this time but otherwise everything has been great. I think they charge us 500 Baht for a call out but it could possibly be 700. It certainly is nothing like 2800 baht.

Lucky you. Ive found out lots since about PAT, products they supply and install for a small fortune are actually very in expensive. Sadly I wasn;t aware of this until after the fact, as someone made a "recommendation" that I trusted. Never again!

Edited by rufanuf