Canon Ip4200 Printer

doctormann

Hi Guys

Help, please, before I totally lose my mind!

My Canon IP1000 printer finally died after giving good service for a couple of years. It would have cost more to get it fixed than it was worth so I splashed out on a new IP4200, a model that has had very good reviews.

Slight problem though - the installation disc gives me no choice of languages and installs the printer driver in Thai only (although the subsidiary applications seem to be in English). As I don't read Thai too well, just completing the installation was fun and using the driver functions is well nigh impossible. So, having given this a little thought, I downloaded what purported to be the right english language driver from the Canon website. However, when I try to install this driver all of the instructions are still in Thai! What on earth is going on here? I even deleted the driver that I'd installed from the installation disc before trying the download - to no avail!

The printer seems to work OK, it's just navigating round the Thai script that's the problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Running WINXP Pro as the operating system.

DM

You can try uninstalling the driver, then go to control panel and then regional and language settings

and change the regional options from Thai to English...then try re-installing the driver.

if it works then change the regional and language setting back to what they where.

Or you could try browsing the original install disc

D:\Win9x\Printer\English\Disk0 and try installing the driver from there

( if your disc has it, mines an IP 4000. )

Good luck.

I had the same problem recently when installing Nero in Win XP (English Edition).

Had to go Start>Settings>Control Panel>Regional & Language Options>Advanced tab>'Language for non-unicode programs'...and in the drop-down menu, change from Thai to English.

Then the install proceeded in English.

Once its installed, can change back to English in Language options.

Hi Guys

Help, please, before I totally lose my mind!

My Canon IP1000 printer finally died after giving good service for a couple of years. It would have cost more to get it fixed than it was worth so I splashed out on a new IP4200, a model that has had very good reviews.

Slight problem though - the installation disc gives me no choice of languages and installs the printer driver in Thai only (although the subsidiary applications seem to be in English). As I don't read Thai too well, just completing the installation was fun and using the driver functions is well nigh impossible. So, having given this a little thought, I downloaded what purported to be the right english language driver from the Canon website. However, when I try to install this driver all of the instructions are still in Thai! What on earth is going on here? I even deleted the driver that I'd installed from the installation disc before trying the download - to no avail!

The printer seems to work OK, it's just navigating round the Thai script that's the problem.

Any suggestions gratefully received. Running WINXP Pro as the operating system.

DM

Many thanks to those people who gave advice. The problem is now resolved.

It appears that the unicode settings were causing Windows to automatically select the Thai installation from the set-up disc. Setting the unicode to English, as suggested by some of you, gave me some choices that had not appeared previously and the resulting installation is now in English.

Seems to me that this is a case of Windows trying to be too clever. I had never encountered this sort of problem before but it's certainly something to be aware of. No great hassle once you realise what's happening but, until you do - :o

Thanks again

DM