Any tips on getting a retirement visa based on UK income?

I am considering getting a retirement visa and I understand I can do this based on UK income. I'm already over 50, on a visa exempt in Bangkok now, have just extended that and will be leaving Thailand to go to Philippines in 6 weeks for a one week visit before returning to Thailand.

Has anyone been through this process recently and do they have any tips that they could pass on.

Thank you.

If you have some proof of income you could visit Thai Embassy in Manila and see if they will issue a single entry non immigrant O visa as starting point - they may well not but you can still do from a visa exempt entry with extra step in Bangkok or a few other immigration offices. You will require a letter from your Embassy of your income (you present paperwork to them and then issue letter based on that) - requirement is 65k baht per month (when converted). First you need a 90 day non immigrant O visa entry and that can be obtained for 2,000 baht and letter proof of income and normal copies of passport. During last 30 days (some allow 45 days) you visit again with same proof of income to extend your stay for one year for 1,900 baht using TM.7 form and copies/often proof of where living. When in Thailand you must report address every 90 days.

• Like 1

Info on getting the income letter needed from the UK embassy by mail is here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

You can apply for a conversion of your visa exempt entry or the extension of it prior to the last 15 days of either one of them to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok.

You will need the income letter proving 65k baht income and a completed TM87 form. It will take 2 trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps.

Then during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

• Like 1

Info on getting the income letter needed from the UK embassy by mail is here. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

You can apply for a conversion of your visa exempt entry or the extension of it prior to the last 15 days of either one of them to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok.

You will need the income letter proving 65k baht income and a completed TM87 form. It will take 2 trips to immigration 15 days apart to get the visa/entry stamps.

Then during the last 45 days of the 90 day entry you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

Applied for the income letter from the UK embassy last week. Provided the confirmation letter from my pension provider and also completed the credit card payment authorisation form. Cost is £45 + £2 ems charge.

Received the letter today - took nine days in total. It now has a fancy red seal, but still an excessive charge!!

I previously arranged this via a local visa shop but they have been jacking up their charges. Initially it was a reasonable Bt300, then increased to Bt500 now an excessive Bt1,000. A mail application is definitely the way to go, with all supporting documents returned as well.