Any way to rescue data - Win 10 affected USB drive?

topt

Moved one of the PCs from Win 7 to Win 10 the other day. Seemed to all go okay and even managed to get it to work with an old printer.

Today thought I would try out some other areas and plugged in a Kingston USB flash drive to update some spreadsheets (normally use it in another machine running Win 7). Seemed to be updating drivers but no overt messages but finally would not open and said the file is not readable - data is damaged or corrupted - do I want to format the disk......

Plugged it back in the old machine and same story.......

Any suggestions as to whether and how I can see the data or am I stuffed......sad.png

I've had good luck with EaseUS data recovery. It's free. It doesn't hurt to try data recovery because it doesn't overwrite your drive. It recovers it to a different location and only reads the source drive. Probably you'll choose a folder on your HDD.

I pretty much like EaseUS software in general, BTW. Good luck.

If the files are worth the expense of USD $80, I've tried several data recovery solutions, and nothing recovers data like R-Studio:

http://www.r-studio.com/

I believe it will operate in a trial version without payment, in which case it will show you what it can find & recover, but you'll need to pay before it will actually perform recovery.

I suspect that this will be a lesson learned sad.png

Backup, backup, backup and keep a backup of that.

There is so much free cloud storage available there really is no excuse these days.

Fortunately I have back ups of all the files which are themselves generally back ups.......

There are only two files which I update daily where I can not repopulate easily and for some reason I had switched some time ago to running these from the stick. It is only 2 weeks data since the last back up and it is not the end of the world but very irritating.

Edit - just as well I did not plug in my main back up hard disk to back up the installation - would have been a lot of work copying back all the different data.......

Edited by topt

I've had good luck with EaseUS data recovery. It's free. It doesn't hurt to try data recovery because it doesn't overwrite your drive. It recovers it to a different location and only reads the source drive. Probably you'll choose a folder on your HDD.

I pretty much like EaseUS software in general, BTW. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion I will have a look later.

Unfortunately just like DVDs and CDs, once USBs are gone there is nothing that can be done to repair them.

I can only suggest cleaning the terminal and see if that works.

As it is asking me to format I don't think it has "gone" but I will find out......

If the files are worth the expense of USD $80, I've tried several data recovery solutions, and nothing recovers data like R-Studio:

http://www.r-studio.com/

I believe it will operate in a trial version without payment, in which case it will show you what it can find & recover, but you'll need to pay before it will actually perform recovery.

Thanks but see reply to Crossy above. For one or two files it is not really worth it - it would make another debit entry in one of the spread sheets.........

May be a good suggestion for others thumbsup.gif

You could do a check disk with Chkdsk utility from windows. Most of the times it works for me.
Open a CMD as admin and type w
ithout the brackets: [Chkdsk F: /r] L
etter "F" as a reference, yours may be another ,example G,D.H whatever. Look it up in My computer or This PC whatever it's called, should see the letter there.
Good luck!!