Tourist collapses unconscious from freezing weather and drinking

webfact

Tourist collapses unconscious from freezing weather and drinking

211-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A tourist from Bangkok collapsed unconscious at his room at a resort in the famous Phu Thap Berk mountainous retreat in Phetchabun province on Wednesday apparently because of the freezing weather compounded by alcoholic drinking.

The 35-year old man who was not identified was found lying unconscious in his room by his friends became suspicious that he did not get up despite it was already quite late in the morning and decided to force their way into his room.

The man was sent to a small hospital in Tambon Thap Berk but his condition did not improve so he was later rushed to the Lom Kao hospital in Lom Kao district.

The man reportedly had drinks with his friends until late at night before he walked back to his room for a sleep.

The Ministry of Public Health has repeatedly warned drinkers not to drink too much when it is cold because the heavy drinkers will lost heat from their bodies and they may suffer shocks for the sudden loss of heat which may lead to sudden deaths.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/148621

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-29

"walked back" weaved or staggered maybe ? " alcoholic drinking " "collapsed " a verb, no one saw him collapse,

must have left door open been undressed flaked out on the floor and the wind blew the door shut,!

must learn to drink sprits that don't freeze

So a Thai guy goes to the northern part of his own country, drinks too much, and then he passes out. And this is story headline that comes along? I had no idea Thais could be drunken tourists in their own country.

And what do you call citizens on domestic tours? Dourist?

"The man was sent to a small hospital in Tambon Thap Berk but his condition did not improve so he was later rushed to the Lom Kao hospital in Lom Kao district."

Why do they keep interfering with natural selection? Now, he'll probably produce more idiots like himself.

Leave it alone. Nature knows best.

So a Thai guy goes to the northern part of his own country, drinks too much, and then he passes out. And this is story headline that comes along? I had no idea Thais could be drunken tourists in their own country.

And what do you call citizens on domestic tours? Dourist?

Maybe.

So if they're drunk domestic tourists, should we double the 'd' ?

Another idiot drunk.

Well you haven't absorbed any compassion from the Thais yet have you?

Don't you know alcoholism is a disease and those suffering from it deserve the same amount of compassion as those suffering from cancer or HIV.

Another idiot drunk.

Don't you know alcoholism is a disease and those suffering from it deserve the same amount of compassion as those suffering from cancer or HIV.

Ridiculous comparison. Alcoholism is self inflicted and a form of drug abuse...

Another idiot drunk.

Some people are so open-minded that their brains fell off...

i want name and shame!!!!!! 100-years probation......400,000 baht fines!!!!!

35 is a little old for this stuff.....i stopped at 28. i am so much more mature!!!!

i do wonder what exactly was in his system....

you humans should be figuring out the cure for cancer....but instead on a binge at soi 43!!!!!

coffee1.gif

do not worry, i am very busy on a cure!!!!! but i need money....

Another idiot drunk.

Alcoholism carries a strong genetic component; it is not self-inflicted, although it is exacerbated by drinking. Certainly, one can rely on willpower (or AA, or whatever works) to not drink, but perhaps the person with lung cancer should not have smoked, or the person with HIV should not have indulged in unprotected sex. Perhaps the person who dropped dead of a heart attack at age 50 should have laid off all those french fries during the previous thirty-five years. We are all flawed, and some of us are dealt a bad hand, genetically speaking. Compassion is called for in all cases.

Another idiot drunk.

Alcoholism carries a strong genetic component; it is not self-inflicted, although it is exacerbated by drinking. Certainly, one can rely on willpower (or AA, or whatever works) to not drink, but perhaps the person with lung cancer should not have smoked, or the person with HIV should not have indulged in unprotected sex. Perhaps the person who dropped dead of a heart attack at age 50 should have laid off all those french fries during the previous thirty-five years. We are all flawed, and some of us are dealt a bad hand, genetically speaking. Compassion is called for in all cases.

Yes, those genes are usually activated since the age of 15...

Another idiot drunk.

I'm sorry but I refuse to accept that alcoholism can be put into the same category as HIV and cancer. Lung cancer was not,specifically mentioned, so why bring that into the equation? People choose to drink alcoholism. By your reasoning, that alcoholism is genetic, Islamic countries such as Iran, Saudi etc(that CHOOSE not to drink alcohol) should have comparable alcoholism rates as Western countries. I couldn't be arsed looking up statistics as I'm suppose to be working now. People choose to do drugs, such as heroin, alcohol and nicotine. The modern PC world has decided to make alcoholism a 'disease'. It is a lifestyle choice...

Another idiot drunk.

Whilst I agree, those who are drunk may act in foolish ways this report give little substance to the claim of the alcohol contribution. It does not state quantities and or timescale or how he was found.

The alcohol contribution to heat loss that is being put about is I feel a simplification of what actually happens. For sure capillaries dilate and blood flows to the skin (causing a hot flush) but this usually fades and does not last all night.

Another idiot drunk.

Tell that to the families of those killed by drunk drivers. I am sure they can show a lot of compassion for the drunk who murdered their children, mates, parents, etc. The individual was sober when he made the choice to drink, knowing what the consequences were. if you want to consider it a disease, then acknowledge that the disease does not kick in until the substance is consumed. I wish it were that easy to stop cancer and other diseases which inflict those who live healthy lifestyles as much as those who don't. Just imagine...If you stop drinking coffee, your cancer will be cured. How many people would give that habit up if those were the results? Please don't insult those born with real genetic diseases by calling alcoholism a disease.

Another idiot drunk.

I'm sorry but I refuse to accept that alcoholism can be put into the same category as HIV and cancer. Lung cancer was not,specifically mentioned, so why bring that into the equation? People choose to drink alcoholism. By your reasoning, that alcoholism is genetic, Islamic countries such as Iran, Saudi etc(that CHOOSE not to drink alcohol) should have comparable alcoholism rates as Western countries. I couldn't be arsed looking up statistics as I'm suppose to be working now. People choose to do drugs, such as heroin, alcohol and nicotine. The modern PC world has decided to make alcoholism a 'disease'. It is a lifestyle choice...

You obviously don't know too many Iranians, Saudis, etc. These people are not ALLOWED to drink alcohol for religious reasons - they didn't CHOOSE not to, the decision was made for them.
What they do behind closed doors or when they leave their countries is an entirely different matter.
I've seen quite a few of them in various bars along Sukhumwit CHOOSING to drink a beer or red wine.

People choose to drink, but they do not choose to be alcoholics -- they are predisposed, genetically -- and alcoholism is broadly accepted around the world as a disease. You say you "couldn't be arsed" looking up statistics -- well, perhaps read something about the science and medicine behind alcoholism. As for Muslim countries where alcohol is banned, have you ever lived in such a country? I know several Iranians (who live in Iran), and they find something to drink whenever they want; and my brother-in-law lived in Kuwait for three years and became part of the "subculture" of drinkers there who made their own bathtub beer. Did drinking disappear in the United States during Prohibition?

As for "the modern PC world," "PC" has become a meaningless catchphrase used by reactionary politicians to stir up the masses, but if by "PC" you mean listening to the other side and honestly trying to fathom why that other side might be offended by something I'm doing, then count me in.

Tell that to the families of those killed by drunk drivers. I am sure they can show a lot of compassion for the drunk who murdered their children, mates, parents, etc. The individual was sober when he made the choice to drink, knowing what the consequences were. if you want to consider it a disease, then acknowledge that the disease does not kick in until the substance is consumed. I wish it were that easy to stop cancer and other diseases which inflict those who live healthy lifestyles as much as those who don't. Just imagine...If you stop drinking coffee, your cancer will be cured. How many people would give that habit up if those were the results? Please don't insult those born with real genetic diseases by calling alcoholism a disease.

I'm not insulting anyone; I'm stating facts. Alcoholism does not "kick in" when the substance is consumed, although a number of specific chemical reactions in the body obviously do kick in when alcohol is introduced; and the disease is progressive, such that the alcoholic's own health (and the consequences of his drinking) gets worse as he continues to drink without seeking treatment. If alcoholics were simply casual drinkers, why have so many lost everything to it, while other casual drinkers can knock down a six-pack of beer every night and the worst consequence they face is a beer belly?

People are killed by drunk drivers every day, and this is indeed a tragedy, but that doesn't mean you can deny the cold, hard science of it. Please read something about the science behind alcoholism before you preach to me.

I wonder if this will reach the world press?

I doubt it. This story is what is referred to as a "filler". That's when they don't have enough stories about rapes, murders, corruption, brown envelopes, ladyboys and high heels, road accidents, people accidentally falling from high balconies, bar closures, new rues for the population by the junta. In other words a slow news day which requires the inclusion of any worthless story just to make up the pages.

I'm not insulting anyone; I'm stating facts. Alcoholism does not "kick in" when the substance is consumed, although a number of specific chemical reactions in the body obviously do kick in when alcohol is introduced; and the disease is progressive, such that the alcoholic's own health (and the consequences of his drinking) gets worse as he continues to drink without seeking treatment. If alcoholics were simply casual drinkers, why have so many lost everything to it, while other casual drinkers can knock down a six-pack of beer every night and the worst consequence they face is a beer belly?

People are killed by drunk drivers every day, and this is indeed a tragedy, but that doesn't mean you can deny the cold, hard science of it. Please read something about the science behind alcoholism before you preach to me.

Our genes are just a branch of the animal world, and thus, it's just natural to behave like one...

Sorry your Honor,it was not my fault i caused this accident,you see i am an alcoholic.

Nah,i don't think so.

Sorry your Honor,it was not my fault i caused this accident,you see i am an alcoholic.

Nah,i don't think so.

You're totally missing the point of what I'm saying. Vehicular homicide is obviously murder in so many words whether the driver is drunk or sober, and if the alcoholic who commits the crime goes into cardiac arrest from acute withdrawal symptoms and dies in his jail cell for lack of a drink or the medication he would receive in a detox ward, then perhaps justice is served. Alcoholism is not an excuse for bad behavior, in either a legal or a moral sense; alcoholics can seek treatment, and treatments do work. But the disease must be understood for what it is.