What Would You Do?

Dogberry

What would you do?

Briefly. My car was rear-ended / totaled by a Thai in one of those pick-up cargo haulers. He received the citation. He had no insurance, no drivers license. Ordered by police to pay me X0,000 baht.

Exchanged numbers at police station and of course his phone goes unanswered and he has never contacted us. This happened in November BTW.

No one was injured in the accident.

Yes this involved an automobile but it could have been anything.

Edited by Dogberry

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want peace and I want revenge! I know nothing about this guy, rich or poor. I know he's never been incentivized to obtain a drivers licence and driving a commercial vehicle with-out insurance seems normal. I guess.

No death, no injury, the police will do nothing.

Pay a lawyer and I might get something back just to have him disappear again.

Look, this was an old car that cost me nothing... a gift from family. Never-the-less It had a value. I actually got more back from the salvage guy than I had invested in it. I had the standard government insurance.

My inclination and my probable course will be to let it go for 20,000 baht.

But man that chaffes me.

Good OP.

I would simply contact the Police and tell them he is breach of their orders. A brown paper envelope you accidentally leave in the Superintendent Office, might prove useful.

Unless the guy who hit me beat me too it! Insurance? What insurance... haha. Farang have big money, nevermind.

So long as I had the piece of paper form my insurer authorizing the repairs, I'd do exactly nothing, but then again, I wouldn't know they didn't pay either wink.png

I'm trying to be all Zen about this and I think I'm succeeding. And you know, the smile on the wife's face driving her new car is ALMOST worth it.

But OMG that guy hit my car HARD. STOP, BEAT, BEAT, SLAM. He had a load of limes, his truck sitting right down on the overloads springs. High speed and distracted driving.

Anyway, this has been about an auto accident but in a way it's about every thing one experiences here. Some things you're just not gonna win. Shame him in public to pay me? HAHA... I'd be paying HIM money!

It's too bad really but I wouldn't change a thing about living here.

Edited by Dogberry

Sorry but you will have to put it down to experience.

You have no chance of getting any money.

Forget about the police, they will only act if you produce a LARGE brown envelope.

I am talking from experience, paraplegic due to being side swiped off my motorbike.

No compensation, no help from police, only you farang, you not here no accident.

Sorry but you will have to put it down to experience.

You have no chance of getting any money.

Forget about the police, they will only act if you produce a LARGE brown envelope.

I am talking from experience, paraplegic due to being side swiped off my motorbike.

No compensation, no help from police, only you farang, you not here no accident.

Yes Sir,

I know a bit of your situation from your previous posts. I have to thank you right here and now. My bit of bile and bitter pill of vitriol is laughable in light of your travail. Seriously, thank you for the slap-in-the-face redirect!.

I paid off the cops several times in the Philippines before I vowed not to participate in graft anymore. No envelopes from me.

Edited by Dogberry

You can't get blood out of a stone. If the guy doesn't have the money what can the police or anyone else do? I imagine there are many more unlicenced and uninsured drivers out there, all you can do is cover your own arse.

You can't get blood out of a stone. If the guy doesn't have the money what can the police or anyone else do? I imagine there are many more unlicenced and uninsured drivers out there, all you can do is cover your own arse.

Right, giddyup. So you're saying a large rear rubber bumper to bounce them back will do the trick. laugh.png

Not meaning to be sarcastic, but I'd have a few coldies, maybe a nookie & get over it. Getting all hot & bothered ain't gunna help.

But I do understand how you feel.

Cheers..... Mal.

Oh I understand... sarcasm is necessary in my life.

But yeah, Chill is the word.

The system is flawed I agree but will remain flawed if no one does anything about it I really can't see what the problem of giving the cops a few thousand so you get 20000. Am I missing something here.

My guess: You give it to them upfront, they don't actually do anything and say sorry cannot find, (used your money for expenses incurred)

You tell them you'll pay when the other guy pays. He'll never pay, but they know that and don't do anything anyway, because it's all a bit difficult.

Am I too cynical?

Edited by weka

The system is flawed I agree but will remain flawed if no one does anything about it I really can't see what the problem of giving the cops a few thousand so you get 20000. Am I missing something here.

My guess: You give it to them upfront, they don't actually do anything and say sorry cannot find, (used your money for expenses incurred)

You tell them you'll pay when the other guy pays. He'll never pay, but they know that and don't do anything anyway, because it's all a bit difficult.

Am I too cynical?

Only once have I had to pay police here to sort something out for us (not going into why or cost) but it was sorted to my satisfaction within three days. And the money I paid to police was a pitsnce as to the return.

Your probably missing the point that the chap has already given the police a few thousand.

Commercial vehicle?

For what business/company?

I said that not thinking about business licences or the like.... I said commercial as he is obviously engaged in commerce with that vehicle. His for hire or a company vehicle, I don't know, but that a DAMN good question...

Your probably missing the point that the chap has already given the police a few thousand.

Hi just re read thread can't say I can see anywhere he has already paid police!!!!

That is a slippery slope my friend. I have paid off the cops in Mexico many times, mostly for trafffic infractions that I deserved. Now those guys in Mexico (at that time anyway) had nothing. They obtained their operating budget by taking a little off the top. You know, I was happy to pay a convenience fee and be on my way. Then three years in the Philippines where stopping foreigners is an industry. They recognized my vehicle and automatically stopped me. It was all "we'll take your car, we'll confiscate your motorcycle, we'll lose your passport for you, we'll re-leave you of your life" kind of interaction. My neighbors and I could hardly go out. (I understand it's improved since but that's another topic)

You know what they say about cops and criminals... cut from the same cloth... anyway I just can't accept paying a bad guy to get another bad guy.

I'm not judging someones choice to do that. It's just right now, for me, it is wrong in my sense of the world.