Is this sim card 2G?

mxyzptlk

Attached is a scan of a Dtac sim card. I am trying to ascertain if it is 2G or 3G. I bought it in August 2009 so I assumed it was 2G. I went to a Dtac service centre and asked them to issue me with a 3G card with the same number. The assistant told me it was already 3G, even though the network type shows as EDGE:2 on the phone.. I am not knowledgeable enough in Telecomms to discuss / argue further, so I left it at that. I would appreciate it if any knowledgeable person can clarify for me? Thanks in advance.

post-74714-0-51081500-1454034260_thumb.j

I think 2G/3G/4G is determined by the phone and not the sim card. I think the sim card is just used to identify you from everyone else. But I am no expert, so I will be interested to see what others say.

Thanks for your reply.

The phone is a 3G dual sim, and I have a second sim card installed which is AIS 3G

Phones have different bands in different parts of the world, so just because you have a 3G phone doesn't necessarily mean you can connect to it here.

So until you've verified both that your phone has the required band, AND that 3G is enabled in settings, we don't know the full story.

Standard trouble shooting work flow.

Phones have different bands in different parts of the world, so just because you have a 3G phone doesn't necessarily mean you can connect to it here.

So until you've verified both that your phone has the required band, AND that 3G is enabled in settings, we don't know the full story.

Standard trouble shooting work flow.

The phone (bought in Thailand) has HSPA+ Tri-band 850/1900/2100 MHz so it is compatible with Dtac 3G. I can't find any setting to enable/disable 3G and since the second sim card is connected to AIS 3G network, I can only assume that it is enabled by default.

The phone (bought in Thailand) has HSPA+ Tri-band 850/1900/2100 MHz so it is compatible with Dtac 3G. I can't find any setting to enable/disable 3G and since the second sim card is connected to AIS 3G network, I can only assume that it is enabled by default.

Only one SIM-card can connect to 3G at a time. So if you've got another card that IS connected to 3G, the DTAC card is only connected to 2G.

Put it into another phone, or change the settings so the DTAC card gets the 3G. On some phones you have to physically switch the cards, but on most recent phones you can switch them on the fly just by settings.

Only one SIM-card can connect to 3G at a time. So if you've got another card that IS connected to 3G, the DTAC card is only connected to 2G.

Put it into another phone, or change the settings so the DTAC card gets the 3G. On some phones you have to physically switch the cards, but on most recent phones you can switch them on the fly just by settings.

Yes, after re-checking settings I discovered that only one sim can connect to 3G, so I took the AIS card out and the Dtac sim connects to a 3G network. Thanks for your assistance

Archived