police crackdown

zeichen

I have been away for a few months and just got nailed because I didn't have a Thai driver's license or an International drivers license. I have my home country license which has always been fine. Any time in the past that I was stopped, I never had a problem showing it. The police man demanded 500 baht. Told me to go to the police station to pay fine. I said where is it. He said "you pay now". I paid him his bribe and then drove off pissed.

I cannot get a Thai license because I am on a tourist visa for the next 3 weeks. I cannot get an international license here. I just don't want to pay fines every time I need to go to the store to get something.

Do Motorcycle rental places now all demand an international license to rent them? Is every tourist getting nailed?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can never understand people who are not concerned about being properly covered for insurance and don't prepare properly for driving abroad. Baffles me how people can be so irresponsible and then have the cheek to complain when things go wrong !

Edited by trainman34014

"Dont listen to the girl who sold you your policy. You need to be a legal driver.:

I have a drivers license. It has always been legal to drive here on my US license. No police have ever said in the 15 years that I have been here that I need an international license. I have insurance on the bike so please stick to the facts.

When did they change and crack down on only Thai license or International license?

It was never legal to drive without international licence if you don't have a Thai one. Your insurance is also not worth the paper and never was, as you are driving without a valid permit.

Some people want to learn it the hard way. Go for it :).

Well, you are in the wrong here. Be happy the BiB let you off the hook. If you have an accident no insurance will cover you and you may even end up in jail.

Absolutely incorrect. I have driven in Thailand for more than a decade, claimed on the insurance on about five occasions (and with three different insurance companies). I only use a UK driving licence and the insurance company (every one of them) never bats an eyelid. Not even a flinch.

The requirement, I've been told on numerous occasions, is for a "valid driving licence". No need for a Thai driving licence, according to insurance.

This is the mindset you seem to be in "I'm in a 3rd world country and I need to help these people have a better life especially since I love her and her family."

I like many people and find them to be honest and hard working, I still don't give people money. Neither do I ever ask for it.

Looks like you gave a poor and dishonest Thai policeman from a 3rd world country 500bht.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

See how it works out in your home country as a foreigner without a proper DL!

in the USA you can drive for up to 20 days on your home countries driving license. After that you need a local license. This is to accommodate tourists. I'm sure it's similar in all western countries.

If you drive without international license in addition to your local one, you drive without a valid permit. If you had luck in the past with the insurance, congrats. That was pure luck. How one manages to crash 5 times in such timeframe remains an open question smile.png

Edited by MadMac

"Dont listen to the girl who sold you your policy. You need to be a legal driver.:

I have a drivers license. It has always been legal to drive here on my US license. No police have ever said in the 15 years that I have been here that I need an international license. I have insurance on the bike so please stick to the facts.

When did they change and crack down on only Thai license or International license?

Listen to what you are being told ,you are not legal , it would have been a lot worse today if you were involved in an accident and a lot more costly for you.

In the past you have just been lucky.

If you got caught driving without a license anywhere else you would have been forced to park your vehicle, and then taken to the station.

If you hit someone seriously and you don't have the money, you go to jail. No insurance will pay. They will even be happy to fry you.

A Thai International Driving Permit is not valid in Thailand.

You can probably get a AAA IDP from your AAA office back in your home state by mail. That's how I get mine from Oregon. Fill out the application, snail it in with a $15 check, photo, and copy of my Oregon license. Comes back in 2-3 weeks.

Mac

Well, you are in the wrong here. Be happy the BiB let you off the hook. If you have an accident no insurance will cover you and you may even end up in jail.

Absolutely incorrect. I have driven in Thailand for more than a decade, claimed on the insurance on about five occasions (and with three different insurance companies). I only use a UK driving licence and the insurance company (every one of them) never bats an eyelid. Not even a flinch.

The requirement, I've been told on numerous occasions, is for a "valid driving licence". No need for a Thai driving licence, according to insurance.

I think you're the one who's incorrect. What you've gotten away with or "been told"'was acceptable, and even the ability to rent a car or motobike without, are all trumped by the actual requirement when and if someone suddenly decides to enforce it, no matter that it's never been enforced before. This ain't your daddy's Thailand anymore, as everyone from barowners to guesthouse operators to overstayers to visa applicants are learning..

It was never legal to drive without international licence if you don't have a Thai one. Your insurance is also not worth the paper and never was, as you are driving without a valid permit.

Some people want to learn it the hard way. Go for it smile.png.

It is amazing how many people make posts that are INCORRECT.

It is legal to drive here with most European and USA Full licenses. FULL STOP.

I have asked Insurance Co. I have asked Police, I have asked Lawyer, I have asked Consulate. Are they all wrong ????

I have shown UK license at police stations when paying legit fines, I have had Insurance Companies repair all scratches etc, before I sell car to get new one. I have shown license to Insurance companies to buy new/renew insurance. All in the last 14 years !!

P.S. I have also been asked to pay 'on the spot' fines for having 'wrong' license, I REFUSED to pay, I have never been to jail !

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.

Funny how you can rent a car with Avis just with your foreign licence, but it's illegal according to most of the posters here!!!

You can rent a girl in this country and it's illegal. So what?

Anyway, no point to further discuss this, your money and your freedom, if you hit it hard. Good luck!

Edited by MadMac

Funny how you can rent a car with Avis just with your foreign licence, but it's illegal according to most of the posters here!!!

I've rented cars dozens of times and don't ever recall being asked for my license, even by Avis. I drive on a Singaporean license which is supposed to be valid in Thailand under an ASEAN agreement. Whether the average cop knows that is another question... [Just rented a car from an airport operation in Nan last week - they only asked to see my passport].

You could have just used something called the internet to look it up. In any case I've done it for you. There are also instructions on how to obtain an International Driver's License in Thailand.

Here's info from the U.S. Embassy to Thailand

An international driving license is accepted as long as it is valid, but a foreign license is not accepted in Thailand. If you are a resident and eligible, you should obtain a Thai Driver’s License.

Here's the link: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/driving_in_thailand.html

When I first came here and was still bouncing back and forth from England I got an International license (from RAC I think, which turned out to be not much more than a paper booklet translated into many languages to supplement my actual license), I later found (same as my travel insurance as it turned out) that it was only valid for 90 days at a time unless I returned to my home country inbetween, despite being 1 year cover. I guess it's just one more get out clause. I went for years here with my EU license and police let me go about my way when I pointed out the stars on the EU flag and said "internationaaal" (a blag on my part), and wondered why people bothered with the hassle of getting a Thailand license at all, until someone pointed out to me that my insurance isn't worth the paper it is written on, which could leave me in deep do do should I ever need it. I promptly got a 1 year Thai car and bike license, though I can't honestly recall what Visa type I was on at the time - I've been on 1 year and short visas of every type I can think of for my age bracket (<50, single etc).

Not necessarily, it depends on in which country your driving licence was issued. The International Driving Permit is not a licence as such but merely a transcript of your home country's driving licence. See the following for the rules relating to using an Australian driving licence in Thailand.

Australia does have a treaty with Thailand - Geneva Traffic act 1949

Section 42

Anyone who wishes to drive a motor vehicle on public roads must possess an appropriate driver's license. The driver must carry the driver's license and a photocopy of the registration book and show them to competent officers upon request. This does not apply for those who are learning to drive a motor vehicle according to the provision of Section 57.

If the driver is an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa, he may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license specified in the Section 42-2. In such a case, he must carry documents specified by the treaty between the Thai government and the government which issued such driver's license, and show them to competent officers upon request.

Section 42-2

In case there's a treaty between the Thai government and a foreign government regarding mutual acceptance of driver's license, an alien who doesn't have an immigrant visa may drive a motor vehicle with a driver's license issued by such a foreign government, or an automobile association authorized by such a foreign government.

However, it is very easy to get an IDP and I always do although I have driven quite legally in the USA, UK, and Ireland on my Australian driving licence.

Some people want to learn it the hard way. Go for it smile.png.

It is amazing how many people make posts that are INCORRECT.

It is legal to drive here with most European and USA Full licenses. FULL STOP.

I have asked Insurance Co. I have asked Police, I have asked Lawyer, I have asked Consulate. Are they all wrong ????

I have shown UK license at police stations when paying legit fines, I have had Insurance Companies repair all scratches etc, before I sell car to get new one. I have shown license to Insurance companies to buy new/renew insurance. All in the last 14 years !!

P.S. I have also been asked to pay 'on the spot' fines for having 'wrong' license, I REFUSED to pay, I have never been to jail !

If you have no real wish to listen, why are you posting your question here?

Just carry on in your own world regardless.

International licence supposed to be ok for a year here but as a thai licence is easy to get why bother all you need is a certificate of residency a doctor's certificate 250bht. Pop along to local driving /issuing authority in your area do a quick color test and reaction test and get a Thai 2 year licence. No hassle then

The Geneva Act describes the International License. There are actually 2 systems which are both accepted. You can't drive with only your local license alone.

Are you sure? I am not saying that you are incorrect as reading the Act it seems a bit ambiguous. However, the IDP, it seems to me, is not a licence but a permit which is simply a copy of your licence. However, I know that I can legally drive in the UK, USA and Ireland on my Australian driving licence. Usually a driving permit is a licence to drive if you have not received a full licence (i.e. you are a learner driver) unless you have a fully licenced driver with you.