More than half of Thailand short of water

webfact

Always find it hard to believe that the cry of 'drought' goes out every year, in an area where we get at least 4 months with more rain than we can handle! Maybe they should look at the long, yearly 'flooding' season and work out ways to store all that water!

The Govvies might also want to check out how all the Mid-East countries (desert climate) always manage - they build desalination plants!

Simple explanation: Mid-East govvies are ruled by people with brains and less corrupted.... very hard to find in TH..... coffee1.gif

dream on

This is the Nan river, outside my house, south of Phichit one week ago. Still a fair amount of water flowing.

They must keep releasing at the Sirikit dam to keep Bangkok afloat. The recent short period of rains has helped, but June is a long way off yet.

The Yom has practically dried up.

I am not sure about the Ping river from Chiang Mai or the Wang, but there are going to be even bigger problems in the coming months as some ignorant farmers here still flood fields to try and grow another rice crop, against all orders.

attachicon.gifNan 1.jpgattachicon.gifNan 2.jpg

THANKS.

Any more pictures from rivers around Thailand?

If first came here 50 years ago, there was a water problem then and there is one now. I also remember a cartoon is one of the English news papers. It was made up of three frames, one with Nixon, caption Water Gate, second Bill Clinton, white water and the last PM Chuan Lek Pie, no water. when my home was built I had an underground water storage tank installed. It is called plan ahead.

I've never been poor - "I'm alright Jack" politicians!thumbsup.gif

Everyone wants to blame Mr. P for this problem. But this has been happening for many years the same as farmers have been over planting and planting during off seasons to get as much profit from their land as possible. All of the flooding happened during previous admins and now! P has to fix it fast. A water shortage is not something that can be fixed fast. They should have utilized all of those times when they had flooding to go where it was needed the most. Lopburi and Ayutthaya were under over 2 meters of water a few years ago. Why is there a shortage here and HOW can anyone try to make the current gov to blame?

Its not the current regimes fault, but it is their problem.

They (literally) took office, and in so doing they took on the responsibility for Thailand's problems, which include this water shortage. They will be judged by their response to the problem, just as Yingluck's government was judged (and condemned by many here) for their response to the floods.

This is one of the reasons I won't buy my little retirement condo down towards Pattaya. The water supply is not great and the water management plans and infrastructure are inadequate.

Not sure about pattaya but I think it's fairly safe to say bkk will have water, even if some farmers have to endure a drought....

Too many powerful ppl will ensure the elite gets to wash their cars and water their lawns every day... Even if the farmers are suffering starvation or poverty I'd say bkk will always have the lions Share of whatevers available...

This is one of the reasons I won't buy my little retirement condo down towards Pattaya. The water supply is not great and the water management plans and infrastructure are inadequate.

Not sure about pattaya but I think it's fairly safe to say bkk will have water, even if some farmers have to endure a drought....

Too many powerful ppl will ensure the elite gets to wash their cars and water their lawns every day... Even if the farmers are suffering starvation or poverty I'd say bkk will always have the lions Share of whatevers available...

If some farmers end up in (greater) poverty, or even facing starvation whilst the elite can still wash cars and water lawns, that might cause quite a lot of bother - to put it mildly. Edited by JAG